Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with everyone saying how similar the two bows are (minus the riser obviously) what real differences are people seeing performance wise!?

Is one quieter?
How about hand shock?
Speeds people are getting?
How does the weight difference come into play?

Lets hear it from some people who've shot both :darkbeer: or better yet, are lucky enough to own both! :p

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
this should be a good question, I haven't shot the matrix enough

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I have both, my matrix is about 6 or 7fps faster but it also has the #2 cams where as my maxxis has the #3 cams (it's also the maxxis 31). We did a test and shot the dxt, maxxis and matrix with a guy who had his back turned on us, I know it's not the most scientific method, but the matrix was the quietest out of the three. As far as the draw, there is not much difference. The grip, well I was shooting a switchback xt and a reezen before these so it was alot better on both than my mathews. They both hold really nice, easy to shoot. After the shot there is almost nothing in the matrix, not that there is any vibration to really speak of in the maxxis but the matrix is dead. The carbon must absorb alot of the vibration that will resonate in a traditional aluminum riser. I also noticed that in the colder weather the matrix was way nicer to hold, it stays warm in your hand and for me hunting up north in Alberta it will be a welcome feature for the late season hunts. The wieght, even though it is only spec'd at 0.1lbs lighter it sure feels like alot more than that for some reason. I first bought the maxxis then bought the matrix but I liked the maxxis so much I still couldn't part with it. I like em both, but if I could only have one it would be the matrix. After shooting this bow for a couple months I don't think I will ever let it go.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
I have also shot both quite a bit and i have found that the matrix is quieter, the matrix has a better valley and a smoother draw than the maxxis. One thing i found really different is how much more forgiving i have found the matrix over the maxxis. I feel it has to do with the extremely stiff riser, one of the reasons the elite series bows from hoyt shoot so well, and hoyts in general. The stiffer the riser the more consistant the bow will react and shoot. IMHO the matrix is the best bow i have ever owned. The only thing i did not like about it is the lack of holding weight at lower draw weights than 65lbs. To solve this i pulled a no no and put spiral cams and made the best bow on the market even better. Not only does the matrix look better than any other bow it performs better in the shootability and forgiveness category. My alphamax was horrible setup for freestyle last year but it shot awesome with pins, my matrix does not matter how i have it setup it just seems to shoot awesome no matter what.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exellent responses guys! I'm looking for more! :darkbeer:

So far the concencous is that the matrix wins due to its quietness and lack of hand shock! :smile: And could even be more forgiving? Is this possible? :D

More input please!

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I have both them in demo bows at my shop and I tunned them both and with the same specs the Matrix is 4 fps faster. That probably wont be the case with all of them but the Matrix does seem to have a little less shock.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
My question is....... how much difference is there to make the Matrix worth forking out that much more money over the maxxis??? Is it really worth the extra chedder or just nice to have if you can afford it! I have been tossing aroung the idea of parting with my Vectrix for one of the two. But if they are so much alike why spend the extra mula if I'm not gonna see THAAAAT much of a difference...just my two cents

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
its like with cars, the higher the performance the more you pay and the gap of how much you get per dollar gets slimmer as you go up. example: Corvettes the price gap from a regular model and a Z06 is 20-25 grand and you get 100 more HP. to make the next jump to a ZR1 and get the next 100 HP your gonna pay 40-50 thousand more. double the money for the same performace jump.
since were talking hoyts its like going from a power hawk to a turbo hawk that $100 gets you a huge jump in performance the turbo hawk to the Maxxis31 isn't as dramatic of a perfomance jump but costs you $250. so it stands to reason the jump from the Maxxis 35 to the Matrix gets you a little but costs a bunch.

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
I also have both in my shop. The biggest differences I noticed were in the draw cycles. The Maxxis has fixed roller guards and the Matrix has a cable slide. In my hands, the Maxxis seems to load up a little at the end of the draw where the Matrix does not.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My question is....... how much difference is there to make the Matrix worth forking out that much more money over the maxxis??? Is it really worth the extra chedder or just nice to have if you can afford it! I have been tossing aroung the idea of parting with my Vectrix for one of the two. But if they are so much alike why spend the extra mula if I'm not gonna see THAAAAT much of a difference...just my two cents
This is exactly my thought process as well :smile:

For the record I'm speaking about the Maxxis 35, so when talking speed and what not please keep this in mind :D

So the major differences thus far are:
-Matrix has roller guard, and the draw seems to be a little better
-Matrix is a few fps faster(though this is only true for the small sample so far)
-Matrix has slightly less handshock/noise

I'm curious about the forgivingness of these bows, I know the matrix has another 1/4" of brace height, but is their a real difference here? I've heard that because the riser is so stiff, it adds quite a bit of forgivingness over the maxxis (not to say the maxxis is not forgiving)! Opinions on this?

Also it seems like the weight difference may be negligable? True or False? :p

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
So the major differences thus far are:
-Matrix has roller guard, and the draw seems to be a little better
Actually its the other way around. The Maxxis has the Roller Guard and Matrix has the same Cable Slide Guard as the Alpha Max and like the one on my Vectrix.

·
Registered
278 Posts
It is odd that one flagship bow has the Roller guard & the super premium still has the rod style cable guard.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually its the other way around. The Maxxis has the Roller Guard and Matrix has the same Cable Slide Guard as the Alpha Max and like the one on my Vectrix.
Whoops I wrote it backwards :p However the Matrix does have a smoother draw correct?

·
Registered
2,360 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No other insight! These are 2 of the most talked about bows! Everyone says they are so similar, yet people are still dropping the big bucks on the matrix! Why is it, what is different :teeth:

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I had the Maxxis 31 and Maxxis 35 and now have the Matrix. My Maxxis 31 had the #3 cam and the 35 and Matrix have the #2 cam. I like the # 2 cam much better. Has a better wall and draws IMO smoother than the # 3. The Matrix is quieter,smoother, lighter and much more vibration free than both Maxxis. Even though the Matrix and Maxxis 35 are the same axle to axle length, the Matrix feels like a shorter bow, don't know why, just does. I absolutely love my Matrix. The 31 was very accurate and the 35 was even more accurate than the 31. That being said the Matrix is even more accurate than both Maxxis I owned and is more forgiving. I was a little apprehensive at first about spending the money for a Matrix but I am sooooo glad I did now! I can not put this bow down. As far as looks go, I have the camo Matrix and it is simlpy "awsome" looking! It is like comparing a Remington shotgun to a Benelli. Both guns are great guns but you pay more for the Benelli for a reason, same as a MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I spent some more time shooting my newly aquired maxxis 35, and I from what I test shot of the matrix, its a nice bow, but not $800 better than my maxxis. The matrix is $1599 and the maxxis is $829 around me:confused:

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had the Maxxis 31 and Maxxis 35 and now have the Matrix. My Maxxis 31 had the #3 cam and the 35 and Matrix have the #2 cam. I like the # 2 cam much better. Has a better wall and draws IMO smoother than the # 3. The Matrix is quieter,smoother, lighter and much more vibration free than both Maxxis. Even though the Matrix and Maxxis 35 are the same axle to axle length, the Matrix feels like a shorter bow, don't know why, just does. I absolutely love my Matrix. The 31 was very accurate and the 35 was even more accurate than the 31. That being said the Matrix is even more accurate than both Maxxis I owned and is more forgiving. I was a little apprehensive at first about spending the money for a Matrix but I am so glad I did now! I can not put this bow down. As far as looks go, I ahve the camo Matrix and it is simlpy "awsome" looking! It is like comparing a Remington shotgun to a Benelli. Both guns are great guns but you pay more for the Benelli for a reason, same as a MATRIX!!!!!!!!!!
Excellent review :smile:

Does anyone have any insight as to why the Matrix is more forgiving? The brace height is only slightly different and this would be a HUGE selling point for me! :darkbeer:

Additionally, lets try not to compare it to the Maxxis in the price category, assuming they were the same price, and had the same appearance, which would you choose and why :smile:

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
ndxt, that is why I made no attempt to shoot a Matrix. $1500 for a bare bow is too much for me. It would have to be really special to justify that for a bare bow. I love my Maxxis 31 and it is good for those who simply cannot affort a Matrix.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
As far as why it is more forgiving, maybe because the carbon riser is stronger and flexes less and you get a 1/8" more brace height. My Matrix holds better than both Maxxis. I also think the cable slide on the Matrix helps with the smoother drawing. I did like the roller guard but after shooting both I like the cable slide better. Also the cable slide on the Matrix is shorter. As far as price, I had both Maxxis 31 and 35 and spent $1700.00 for 2 bows. I spent $1450.00 for the Matrix and now only need the one. So to me it was worth it. The Matrix will last forever and is virtually indestructable! I have had all brands/bows and the Matrix is truly genius. It is so far ahead of every bow out there right now Technology wise! Don't get me wrong all of the new bows and manufactures are great ! I just believe the Matrix is in a league of its own. You have to shoot it to understand it!:smile:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts