Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ground cold / Work it hot
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start out by saying my Carbon Matix is the most accurate bow i've ever owned.
I've never had a bow shoot so good. Well, about 2 weeks ago my groups started to open up. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what went wrong. I noticed a slight vibration that i have'nt heard before. I could'nt find cause until today. The bolt the holds the stabilizer mount has come loose. I can grab my stabilizer and move the whole system up & down. [nothing like a loose stabilizer to ruin your groups] My problem is, where do i get the star wrench to tighten it back up? The star has a center peg in the middle.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Try a tool center, auto parts shop, machine shop, or bicycle shop.

·
Registered
718 Posts
"The star has a center peg in the middle."

If it is what I think you mean...the bolt you need to tighten has a little peg or rod right in the middle of the recessed star{actually called a Torx} so that a regular Torx bit will not go into it to turn it. It is the one known as a Tamper Proof Torx. Not sure if I have ever seen those at Lowes or a chain Auto Supply store. We occasionally have equipment with Tamper Proof Torx bolt heads at work and we get the bits off the Snap-on truck. Needless to say they aint exactly cheap...but they are small so they aren't too bad. What in the name of god would possess some idiot to put a tamper proof bolt in a stabilizer on a bow??? Tamper Proofs are for aircraft and secure comm gear. Personnally I would take the bow to someone with the tool, get the stupid bolt out and replace it with a regular one. It would seem that you can just drill a small hole in the end of the bit but you can pretty much forget that...the bit is hardened and wont drill. You could try breaking the little peg out of the bolt but most of the time that just messes it up to the point that you cant get it lose even with the correct bit.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm thinking the obvious thing to do would be "TAKE IT TO YOUR HOYT DEALER" Also I would think that the dealer would contact Hoyt to let them know that it is something to look for in the future when it happens to someone else. Customer feedback is always the best way for all companies to improve their products to be more reliable.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Definitely take it to your dealer. If they put a tamper proof bolt in it then they didn't mean for it to ever come loose. Even the best bows sometimes have something go wrong so for the price of your matrix you really do want to get a professional to check it out.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Now that I am home and took a look at my Carbon Matrix yes it absolutely is a tamper proof T-30 Torx bolt in the stabilizer bushing. Further up on the riser near the sight window there are two more of them but they are T-25 size. It is likely that Hoyt used tamper proofs because they must be torqued to a specific value or the riser might be damaged. Call them and ask...they will either tell you the torque {probably in inch pounds} or tell you to send them the bow. I have had mine since early April and never even noticed three different tamper proof torx bolts in the riser...learn somethin' new everyday!!! Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.