Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are the results of my test. I will try to give as much information as need to get the idea of how the test was done and the results.

Purpose:
To test the effectiveness of drying a carbon suit for reactivating.

Method:
I had purposed worn the suit the day before on a hunt for hog. It was a very hot day and I did sweat quite a bit. The suit was then sealed in a ziplock style bag. The sample peice were taken today. I took two peices of a Scentlok leafy wear suit. Each peice measured 1inch X 1 inch. Each peice consisted of the carbon impregnated material only and none of the camoflage material. Each peice was placed in a small glass vial and was contaminated further with Ethyl benzene. This liquid was chosen because is has a high boiling point. In other words it boils at 276 degrees F. One peiced was placed in a drying oven ( in a chemistry lab) for 30 minutes at 200 degrees F. The other peices was left at room temperature and sealed in the glass vial for the same amount of time.

After the drying time both samples were wash in carbon disulfide. The carbon disulfide is used for a solvent or carrier and was not considered as one of the contaminents. both samples were washed for 45 minutes in a shaker. The samples were then filtered and run through a Gas chromatograph.

Results:
Results were run with a set of organic molecules being analyzed. Some of the compounds that were analyzed were from contamination while being worn and the ethyl benzene was a control. All numbers are given in parts per million. For every million parts their are that many parts of the contaminant.

Undried Sample:
Toluene 2.36 PPM
Ethyl benzene 9814 PPM
Xylene 8.83 PPM
Phenol 7.36 PPM

Dried sample
Toluene 0
Ehtyl Benzene 58.39 PPM
Xylene 0
Phenol 0

I will let you review this before I give my comments. The data speaks for itself

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My take on this.

The Scentlok suits work and drying truely does reactivate them.

A few high points brought to light in this test.

1. A temperature of 200 F effectively removed almost all of the organic contaminants being analyzed. Now keep in mind that this oven was not agitating the material. It was just a constant temperature. A drying that is constantly moving the material should facilitate that removal of contaminants.

2. The oven temperature, which was lower than the boiling point of the ethyl benzene, removed 99.4 percent of the ethyl benzene. I chose this as a control becuase the boiling point was well above the oven temperature. Remember that these compounds do become vapor at less than the boiling point. That is what makes the drier an effective tool for reactivation.

3. The only down note on this is I have only a limited source for contamination and standards. If money and time were not an issue, then a more thorough test could be done with oils and aromatics that were present on the human body.

In light of all this. THE SUITS WORK AND CAN BE REACTIVATED!!! Be sure to question something you are not sure about. If we all listened to the guy claiming that 1700 degree was need for reactivation then we would all quite using the scent lok. ASK QUESTIONS. SEARCH FOR ANSWERS. MAKE YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Buckskin,
Do you have any affilitions with the industry, or are you just a bored chemist? ;) :D

Great job. I was hoping this test came out this year.

Just curious, how long AFTER drying did you take the reading? Right after the wash? Did the material sit in open air for any period of time?

Just curious.

Bo

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bo

I am not affiliated this hunting industry at all ( other than I purchase too much).

And yes I am a bored chemist.

1. The drying took place immediately before the material was washed. I had to let the material cool because the solvent used to wash the material is highly flammable and I did not want a fire.....ouch. The vial was sealed with a screw on lid until the material had cooled. This took about 5 minutes.

2. The reading was taken immediately after the wash. The wash solution was placed in a small vial used by the GC for extraction and analysis. It too is sealed.

3. The material was never left uncovered or in the open air once the testing was started. All containers were sealed and kept seperate.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Buckskin,

Thanks for the test!!!:) I knew they worked from the first time that I had several deer and hogs down wind from me and they had no clue I was even around!

·
74,535 Posts
My own testing

Place a onion in my hood and cannot smell it. Works for me.

Just call me a redneck, Im darn sure no scientist.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I dont want to sound like im doggin your test, Im glad that you took the time to do it but.... Where is your control? You should do the same test with a regular shirt or pant material after a day of wearing them. This would be interesting to see, both because it shows how much regular clothing absorbs the various substances but also how much drying these clothes removes scent.

Brian

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hokie hunter

I agree with your statement if we were testing the effectiveness of the suit. We know that the suit will adsorb organic molecules. I can sight multiple scientific journals with a plethora of results and test proving that carbon is great at such a task. This test was not meant to determine the afffectiveness of the suit but the ability of a household drier to remove the contaminents.

I would theorize that a drier would remove organics contaminants from your clothing as well ( keeping in mind that they must be volatile ).

Remember, This test did not test the ability to adsorb organics but the ability to deactivate it with a relatively low temperatures (180-220 F) for 30 minutes or more.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I gotcha

I just think it would interesting to see how much of the substances is actually absorbed by regular clothing as a baseline, then how much more is eliminted from carbon clothes vs regular clothes by the drying process.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts