Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody read the aticle about carbon suits on the fastestbows.com web site? Sounds like we've been waisting our money! What do you think? I do'nt know anybody that takes as many precautions as I do (including scentlok) to be scent free, and I know I've got busted on occasion when deer have gotten down wind.

·
Registered
157 Posts
IMO this guy is a lone voice in the wilderness - I've never read an article saying that carbon suits don't work - maybe because most of the articles I've read may have been written by those who benefit in some way if more carbon suits are sold.
I am not a biologist/chemist so I'm not sure if hes got his facts straight. He says to fully reactivate the carbon the suit must get to an 800 degree temperature. If most clothes dryers heat to 200 degrees, is the suit partially reactivated, and if so, how effective is the suit?
This is a very interesting article that made me question the effectiveness of carbon suits.
Questions - Does the military really use a carbon suit once and then throw away, like he says in the article? Would the industry sell more suits if each had to be thrown away after each use? Would this make carbon suits unaffordable to the average hunter? or would the manufacturers make an affordable throw-away suit?
Lots of questions.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Go buy a surplus chemical suit, same thing. I bought the Brit camo pattern jacket & pants for $50 Canadian.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Rod
If you believe it, it works. I've been lucky enough in the last couple of years to get 2 P&Y's. I think it works. Both down wind!!! Try to hunt smart, stay clean and hopefully get them up wind.
I Believe!!! :D

·
74,535 Posts
onion test

I can drop a onion in the hood of mine and not smell it. I know and feel they help.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I bought my first scentlok last year. I hunt in Maryland and I have gotten extremely close to quite a few deer in September, when we still have temps in the 80's. I will never hunt again without scentlok!

·
Registered
456 Posts
i personally believe they work. killed 2 wall hangers last year. both down wind. i don't think they eliminate your scent totaly, but they cover it up enough so the deer have a hard time figuring out if you are farther away or if you were there and recently left. even if they are only 50% effective, that's a percentage in my favor. and i'll take all that i can get.!:D

·
archery nut
5,855 Posts
scent lok suits are great and i believe they work but you must also remember things like bows, releases, boots, packs, treestands, etc give off scent too. you can have the best carbon suit in the world but if you're not paying attention to other sources of scent it's pointless

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like my Scent Sheild suit and have had great success with it but as someone said residential dryers dont get hot enough to reactivate fully.Try putting them in a comercial style dryer if you have access to one.I feel they dont totally get rid of your scent but they get it down enough that if a deer winds you he feels that you are far enough away from his comfort zone.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sharky

To answer your question, yes, we in the military do only use a chem suit one time. We use our "training suits" over and over, but when the $#!+ hits the fan, you only use the suit one time. Bear in mind, however that we don't use activated carbon to filter scent, we use it to filter chem weapon agents.

If you do buy surplus GI chem suits, be prepared for the mess! They are not made with the civilian market in mind and the carbon comes out by the handfulls! Whatever you wear under your suit will be BLACK! They are also very HOT (personal experience here!) I guess if you can get them cheap, they may be an OK deal. I cannot, however ever fathom wearing one while hunting as there are way too many bad memories attached to GI Chem suits (otherwise known as a MOPP suit):D

Now... I have to get busy packing for my Alaska fishing trip. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
"scent lok suits are great and i believe they work but you must also remember things like bows, releases, boots, packs, treestands, etc give off scent too. you can have the best carbon suit in the world but if you're not paying attention to other sources of scent it's pointless"

Agreed 100% here... I use the mil-surp chem suits, I just wash 'em twice before wearing them, and run 'em in the dryer on high for 35 to 40 minutes once a week or so during hunting season... I only use a suit for 1 season before breaking out a new one, and give my old one away to someone who hasn't tried one yet - they are usually "converted" after wearing one a few times... I bought a bunch of the camo ones while on sale, and wear the suit only when it's warm, then wear the suit under regular camo the rest of the time...

As for whether they work or not - I TOTALLY believe they do!!! I've never seen as many deer as I have after starting their use, and the close-up encounters have been awesome!!! I've shot a handful of deer(and coyotes) with the wind in THEIR favor, that I'm sure I wouldn't have even gotten to see if not for the suit... I'll be breaking out a new one for the upcoming season in a couple of weeks, when I wash the rest of my clothes...

- georgestrings

D

·
0 Posts
Carbon suits WORK!!!...

...my son put on his CARBON SUIT (not sure which brand) and was scouting just the other day along the fence rows...he heard a noise up ahead and FROZE in his tracks...

...a BIG BUCK came out from the fence line and was browsing along...my son said the buck looked in his direction and started to walk towards him doing the "quick raising of his head" to see if he could "catch" the oddity he sensed!!...

...the BUCK browsed to within 8 feet of my son:cool: and then slowly meandered off!!...

...it was a warm day and my son said he was sweating inside the suit...after that experience...

...I'd say THEY WORK WELL...

>>>---DD--->;)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. By no means am I saying these suits don't work, I've killed many big bucks wearing them to! I'm no chemist but the article on fastestbows.com web page just makes you wonder about how effective they really are, the longevity, and the reactivation of these suits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts