Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure that most of you have by now read the article over in fastestbows.com about the relative worthlessness of activated carbon scent suits. I know that a bunch of you are a lot smarter than I am, so I will toss this out for discussion. When you throw a carbon suit in the dryer, are you really trying to reactivate the carbon (knowing that the dryer does not come anywhere close to hot enough to reactivate the carbon) or are you just trying to "purge" some of the scent particles that have built up in the carbon? I have been mentally chewing on this for the past few weeks and the later seems reasonable to me (maybe I'm just trying to relieve the sting of possibly wasting a bunch of money on some carbon laced longjohns!)
OR, are the carbon suits basically disposable? You use them until they get clogged up and then throw them away and buy a new set?
OR, did a bunch of us get duped into wasting a fistfull of our hard-earned $$ by some marketing weasel?

What are your thoughts?:confused:

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I was truly surprised by the article at fb.com but it makes sense for me and I think the author's arguments are conclusive.

I got an almost new Scent-Lok classic liner which I wear under my leafy camo suit.
After reading the article my whole confidence in that material is gone.

I've bought that stuff for my last trip to South Africa about 5 weeks ago.
I remember some horrible farts sitting at the waterhole. I had some beans for diner the day before. Me and my guide smelled nothing, so I thought the suit is working as promised by the manufacturer.
Of course the reason for that maybe was a clean job of my guts as well:D .

If the manufacturers cannot proof the contrary I will go back to the traditional methods, such as taking a shower with scentless soap, putting the hunting clothes into a plastic bag with some plants etc.....and of course paying more attention to the wind direction.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I read the article. Informative. But I too work in the environmental industry. I too got a bachelors degree in Biology and a minor in chemistry. I also have a chemical engineering degree. Here is what I know.

Most of his scientific data is accurate. The manufacturing process and intended uses are all legitimate. Here is the real deal. The purpose of pyrolisis is to heat the "stink" molecules to the boiling point. In other words you have to turn the "stink" molecule from a liquid or solid into a gas.

Here is the problem with the theory of the lack of effectiveness. Most of the organic compounds that are being trapped in the carbon are by nature volatile ( which means they can be turned to a vapor relatively easy at ambient temperature and pressure). That is why deer can smell them. They have to be in the form of a gas to reach the deers noses. If these molecules are being vaporized while you hunt then a drier will do the same. Now we also have to take into account the affectiveness of carbon to hold organics. That bound is extremely weak though.

Here is my proposal. I will take my own carbon suit I will expose it to 3 organic compounds with varying vapor pressures ( or volatility). I will then take one peice of clothing and heat it in the drier for a predisposed period of time. I will also keep one peice of clothing unheated. I will wash both with a heated solvent to remove all the organic material and run the solvent wash through a gas chromatograph. This will tell me very low concentrations of organics. I will post my results when I get done. I hope I can have this done by the end of next week.

I might be wrong........we will see.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use the carbon suits and have had good luck with them. I will continue to use them in the near future until I'm convinced that they don't work. I read the article and its very interesting. This is the only article I've read that questions the merit (and effectiveness) of carbon hunting suits, so I think that he is just a lone voice in the wilderness. However, I am no scientist and don't know if his science is correct.

Bottom line - I'll continue to use the suits and I believe they work, from my experience.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've thought of gettin some scent lok but after i heard that it will wash out, i see no sense in it. The Goretex scent suppressent doesn't have carbon in it from what i've heard so nothing can be washed out. I know it will be a lot hotter than scent lok but whats the use of scent lok on a 80 degree day because i know i'll sweat even if i'm naked and i know some scent will get out. So i don't even bother with scent containment in the early season. I just play the wind. I've also saw some new scent containment clothes advertised in a mag. called "No Trace" that doesn't have carbon in it. In my opinion i would stay away from carbon. i may end up getting some goretex scent suppressant or no trace and start using it when it gets cooler in november.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well, I will say this much - since I've started using the chem suits, I've seen, and taken more deer and predators(coyotes, fox, etc...) than I ever did before using the suits... I don't believe they totally supress human scent, but I do believe they reduce it to the point that the animals think you're farther away than you really are... I've had the opportunity to take, and observe, MANY times, deer and coyotes when the wind was in THEIR favor, while using the chem suits - so I believe they work... Also, please note that all the best wildlife photogs use some kind of scent-loc, too...

As for the dryer, I think it helps "freshen them up", but is still no substitute for keeping everything clean...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
293 Posts
Get you some damn carbon teeth to go with it.........:D :D :D.......Sorry dud it is just the wine.:p

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have a scent loc suit and a scent brocker + suit. Both are their light weight suits, because we have a long season and it stays fairly warm down here most of the year. I have been wearing them for the past 3 years, and I have had several times that I have had deer or hogs down wind of me with my suit on and they just kept grazing as if I was not there. In fact two weeks ago I was in my stand and had 7 deer directly under me and down wind from me. They stayed there for the better part of 30 minutes eating some wild grapes. I, however, will not go out in the woods with out taking a shower, and getting as scent free as possible. I know that I have confidence in the suits, and as long as I feel they are working I will continue to wear them.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insightfull thoughts. Buckskin, I knew there were some "smart guys" in here! I anxiously await your results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts