Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a dozen 400 3d Cheetah's at 28" to try for 3D season. I've been shooting Carbon Express Maxima 3D 250's at 28" & wanted to try a little bit lighter shaft. Problem is they weight is only 10 grains different. How is this possible when the cheetah's are "suppose" to be 6.4 gpi & the maxima's are 7.3 gpi? I have the standard nock and insert in the cheetah's & the standard collar & nock and screw in insert in the maxima's. Anybody got an answer? I was hoping to be able to shoot 4" vanes on the cheetah's and lose the 4" feathers on the maxima's and be right around the same final weight because of the 25 grains I thought I was losing going to the cheetah's. Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
872 Posts
My .02

The only thing I can say is that the cheetahs are not what they are all cracked up to be. I changed my choice real quick.
Good luck

JOHN

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I would weigh all the components and see where the difference is. When I used On Target 2 to determine arrow weight it was within 4 grains of the actual measurement of my completed arrows. :) Besides, 15 grains isn't gonna make that much difference in speed.

I used the Carbon Tech Cheetah 3D's for Field archery last year and was very pleased. They take a great deal of abuse and perform very well.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I shoot the cheetahs...and they weigh 7.3 gpi..great arrows, but they don't weigh what they say they do:wink:

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would weigh all the components and see where the difference is. When I used On Target 2 to determine arrow weight it was within 4 grains of the actual measurement of my completed arrows. :) Besides, 15 grains isn't gonna make that much difference in speed.

I used the Carbon Tech Cheetah 3D's for Field archery last year and was very pleased. They take a great deal of abuse and perform very well.

Well what I was looking to gain was to be around the same weight and be able to shoot vanes instead of feathers. I stripped off the vanes of one of the cheetah's and weighed it with feathers it's 4 grains lighter than the maxima's. I was hoping this would be the weight with vanes.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
The 400 3-D arrows i weighed for my buddy before assembling weighed in at 6.8 grains per inch. The 500 3-D arrows are around 6.4 per inch. I guess they are a little heavier than advertised.

·
DeaD Middle
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shoot the cheetahs...and they weigh 7.3 gpi..great arrows, but they don't weigh what they say they do:wink:
I did a search on here and never saw anyone mention the weight issue. I would've just got some more maxima 3D 250's. I tryed the 400 HV Victory's but after 3 broke in my Morrel target they're out. Shot great but I don't want one stuck in my arm. A 28" HV with LP 4" vanes weighed in at 295 grains with an 85 grain head. That's why I figured the Cheetah's would be close. Oh well!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
My Cheetah 520's are exactly 6.1 just what they are supposed to be. Don't have any 400's to weigh.

Did you weigh just the shafts? Maybe the points or inserts are a different weight.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I just dug through the arrow barrel and found a 400 and it did weigh 6.77 gpi.
That only comes out to a 16 grain saving at 28 inches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts