Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An old topic,but I would like to hear your opinions again.Why other than speed do you shoot carbons and why other than kinetic energy do you use aluminum?

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Aluminums for their consistant straightness and spine. For half the price of carbons you also get an arrow that carries greater momrntum downrange.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Come on guys.Let me hear some opinions or do you know why you use what you use?:confused: Since most use carbons,am I supposed to asume it's just because the guy next to me said it is best?:wink:

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I use carbons because unless they break u dont have to worry about bending. When i started bowhunting i used them, ive never tried alum.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I use both the allum.for indoors and carbon for everthing else

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was a die hard alum arrow user. Now way was I going to switch. Finally after years of denial I tried them. On the rare accassion that I fling one I can recover it and keep shooting it. An alum arrow bends easy and as for cost. Alum. ends up costing more in the long run replacing bent arrows.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Carbons are infinately stronger...!

·
Registered
438 Posts
They still make aluminums?:asleep:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Arrows

Get the best of both worlds with the Easton Aluminum covered carbon. Or stay with the aluminum, only a gazillion animals have been taken with them. But then again, Native Americans killed buffalo and deer with sharpened rocks on the end if whitled tree branches that didn't come close to .0015 straightness. It's just a matter of preference and who has the best tag line to get us to use their products.

·
Registered
37,038 Posts
I doubt I will ever shoot an all aluminum arrow again. Why not get the best of both worlds. ACC's !!!!! :wink:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Here we go again... :moviecorn:

I shot XX75 2315's for years out of an old PSE round wheel dual cam bow. Nowadays with my new bow, I made the grand leap of faith to carbon and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Carbon is way better, faster, flatter trajectory, and in some cases more durable than aluminums.

CARBON RULES! :shade:

Butch A.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just switched from aluminums to ACCs this year. For the price I would shoot aluminims again. They are straighter than any carbon made they are superior as far as spine consistancy and are easier to fletch and re-fletch. and are quieter out of the bow because they are heavier. and pack more kinetic energy. as far as durability I figure I'll miss less with more accurate arrow.
I do like my ACCs but it took me a while to get them to fly good with fixed blade heads. I only shot one deer so far with them. so the jury is still out. I will say I really don't feel i gained that much speed either my pin gaps only changed slightly
My wife shoots Beeman carbons and it amazed me how many of them I had to toss aside because the did not spin true with a fixed blade head. So i feel the statement carbons are straight or broke is a false one. They have to be staight begin with.
I tried CX terminators and did not like anything about them. I'll stick with my Accs for now they are flying good and I paid alot for them. When it comes time for new arrows. Who knows???

·
Registered
210 Posts
Carbon is best becuase it's either good or broke. It doesn't get bent. It's lighter therefor it flies faster and flatter and in turn reduces pin gap. There are guys talking about ACC's. They're still an aluminum. They still bend. Try a true carbon. You can get some for less than aluminum and for half the price of ACC's. When I shot aluminum I had to buy a dozen arrows every year because I was bending them with other arrows or by missing targets. The last time I bought a dozen carbon for hunting was three years ago and I still have nine good arrows. My 3D carbons I replaced two years ago and I still have ten of them. As far as money. Ask yourself. Do I spend $60 every year on a dozen aluminum or $100 every three years or so. Oh yeah, I also get 86fp of kinetic energy with my carbons

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ButchA said:
Here we go again... :moviecorn:

I shot XX75 2315's for years out of an old PSE round wheel dual cam bow. Nowadays with my new bow, I made the grand leap of faith to carbon and wonder why I didn't do it sooner. Carbon is way better, faster, flatter trajectory, and in some cases more durable than aluminums.

CARBON RULES! :shade:

Butch A.
Yep,I knew that it was an old beat subject.But we don't have anything else to do and I was curious to maybe a new answer.:) From ButchT.

·
The Impartial Archer
18,227 Posts
I have gone back and forth for years. Carbons real advantage is speed and that’s it IMO. I have some 2315's that I have had since before 1998 and many have been put thru deer more than once! Sure the 12 series arrows are easy to ding or bend but the 14 and 15 series are pretty tough. Just don't shoot for groups when you practice. I can afford to but a dozen every few years. They are much straighter and the spine is more consistent as well. They are WAY easier to refletch and cut and the inserts are removable and can be heated and rotated IF your tuning for BH's. They pull out of 3D targets much easier and are cheaper. So, again its all about speed IMO (the holy grail of archery) and I'm not too concerned about that. Not trying to sway anyone I promise...but if you think they don't have some advantages over carbon you really are closed minded or maybe never have shot aluminum.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm not even looking for speed but i use carbons because of the strength factor. I'd rather have an arrow snap that have it bend and me not notice.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I cant believe that no one has mentioned the fact that carbons are much stiffer than aluminums.

I cant remember the exact figure, but I want to say that they are somewhere around 5 times stiffer than alum.

If you have ever seen a slow motion video of a carbon being shot off of a bow and then an aluminum it is very evident. The impact at target is also noticable.

And anyone with common sense would agree that an arrow that flexes less when hitting the target is going to be using more of its energy towards penetrating the target.

I do not shoot the carbons for speed, I did at first but not anymore. I shoot just about the heaviest carbon I can, Axis 340's at 11.1gr/inch.

I am not sure how much an aluminum for my setup would weigh per inch. But I cant believe it would be much more than that, maybe 12-13 gr/inch?

BTG19

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Timbow2 said:
I just switched from aluminums to ACCs this year. For the price I would shoot aluminims again. They are straighter than any carbon made they are sup.......
........shoots Beeman carbons and it amazed me how many of them I had to toss aside because the did not spin true with a fixed blade head. So i feel the statement carbons are straight or broke is a false one. They have to be staight begin with.
I tried CX terminators and did not like anything about them. I'll stick with my Accs for now they are flying good and I paid alot for them. When it comes time for new arrows. Who knows???
Tim,
A big thing with Carbons is making sure you have the insert in PERFECTLY straight, the Arrow may be straight, but if the insert isn't PERFECT, it will wobble. I've learned that lesson the HARD way. As far as CX Terminators, I am with you, those things are HEAVY, and don't fly that great, plus they aren't very durable. Actually the Cabela's Arrows in my signature are as good as I've found, and for the $$$ (about $50 a dozen) I can't beat them. You just have to find the right ones. But I've not had any issues with Carbons not being straight unless they were broken, for real, though I've found several that wouldn't fly true with a Fixed Blade BH because of Insert problems.

I see no reason to ever go back to Aluminum, esp after bouncing Carbons off of things, and not having to try to straighten them out!!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
i shot carbon for years......now i shoot XX78 and wont go back to carbons for anything...........much more consistent.....smoother......fletch easier....alot of people say a carbon arrows is either straight or broke.....but if you inspect the ends of a carbon shaft after awhile....i mean just not look....but look real close....you can find fine cracks near the insert.....still strong as heck and shoot ine....just drives me nuts........a aluminum is either straight or bent....but you know their not cracked and are safer.........its all preference.........if your looking for a smaller shaft in diameter, flatter trajectory and better speed...carbon shafts are teh way to go

1 - 20 of 37 Posts