Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a new trend going around, be careful not to fall victim.

It's happened to me twice this year already.

Story goes like this:

You (seller) and Buyer agree to a purchase price your item.

You pack/ship the item.

Buyer recieves the item and then opens a claim on Paypal (which locks your paypal account and automatically withdraws the money for the whole transaction until the claim is settled.)

They say something to the effect of the item is "not as described", or, "damaged", or some other false allegation.

They then say they are willing to settle the claim for x amount of dollars (usually 10-30% of price of item).

This puts you in a very bad situation. The buyer has your item. you've already shipped it. You don't know what they've done to it (damaged it, stolen/switched parts off of it, etc). The scammers know 9 out of 10 times people are just gonna say "fine" to be done with it. You're now out an additional x amount of dollars. Scammers know going into the deal they can get away with this.

So, be very wary when selling something online these days. People have learned how to game the system and unfortunately many people are not as honest/honorable as we'd like them to be.

Paypal lets buyers hold the sellers hostage and extort money from them. I mean, whats the alternative? Say no and risk the buyer damage or steal your bow/item, then hope they even return the same item you sent them? what's stopping them from putting some bass pro shop garbage back in your box and sending it back to you? Now you're out a bow and your money.

Anyways. Be careful everyone.

People suck.

/rant

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Yup, prob going to sell a bow here shortly and I'm kinda nervous about this exact problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts
Pictures...

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
wow, people are chit heads nowadays. I hear about the scams on tv about scamming military vets...and the scams recently about fake kidnapping of your children. excuse my language but that is just Effin out of hand.

·
Certified Flatlander
2,830 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I have not heard about this one yet - until now any way. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,303 Posts
Agree, some ppl suck!!

I personally had to deal with it once, but I always take pic of said item in the package stage, at post office, shipping address, weight of package shipped , I forward pp 46 pics of item to prove item was sent. They favored me in the end but did suck while it went on.

Thief's are pos

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
But, but, but, paypal is suppose to be safer than a Postal Money Order.

Your scenario is exactly why I don't have pp.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Had a similar problem selling an item on eBay. Guy does the buy it now and purchases the item, I ship it and he files a claim saying I shipped an empty box. Luckily my wife is paranoid that she took pictures of it being packed in the box. Sent those and a scanned copy of the mailing receipt showing the shipping weight to eBay and PayPal and got my money I was owed thankfully.

·
YouThinkIcan't?!WatchMe
7,102 Posts
Happened to me before. I'm selling my draw board on eBay also. Description says "Draw board for last chance archery bow press". In the auction I have a picture of the draw board mounted on the press. If I remember correctly a customer from Europe purchase one and once he got it he gave me negative feedback saying there was no press in the package he received. I told him this is for draw board only. Now I have to put "Bow press not included" in the auction. Even that it is obvious (price and description) that the press is not included. Fortunately paypal took my site and declined the refund.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It just wasn't worth the hassle to me. Buyer probably knew it and why his "partial refund request" was just low enough he gambled i'd just say "fine, whatever" and move on.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
See this really isn't a scam though, it's pay pal protecting the buyer....and it's GOT BAD. My buddy told me that it happens a lot with baseball bats. the buyer gets it, complains and PP gives them their money back and you are out of a bat.

The scam i heard of for Pay Pal, and from Pay Pal themselves...is scammers are buying your product, sending you a fake pay pal receipt email. people see the email come through and just ship the item. What they should be doing is logging in and checking their PP account to see if the money is actually in there.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Almost the exact same thing happened to me selling an item here on At and using PayPal...I sold an item to a person...got their money in my account mailed the item to them and they received it...then I get a notice from PayPal that my account is frozen because of a conflict...the buyer's claim with PayPal was that the item was not in the condition that I advertised here on AT....I know that was not true...the item was brand new and barely used...anyway to settle the conflict I returned the full selling dollar amount expecting to get the item back....no such luck...the buyer has not returned the item... and has disappeared....PayPal has not been able to contact them either....not sure how to stop that from happening again....

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Wow that sucks!! That makes it harder for us honest buyers as well. Why cant people just be ethical and honest. One bad apple....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, so now the scammers are getting wiser and not filling for a FULL refund

They ask for partial refunds which gets them both the item they want, and, they get it at a sick price (if you cave in). So, seems like a reasonable gamble for the buyer to take.

If you sell them something for $500 and they file for a $50 partial refund, what do they really have to lose?

If you (as the seller) refuse the partial refund, now, you have to hope and pray they actually ship you back the same item in the same condition you sent them. what if THEY send YOU back an empty box? or something completely different than what you sent them? Then you have to deal with all those hassles after that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's why I've been running all my stuff through craigs list and locally before I screw around on the interwebs.
yep. im not selling stuff online anymore for a while. Not worth the hassle. It's not even so much the money. It's being reminded how much people suck that gets to me. My life will go on if someone takes $100 from me. But, what gets me more is knowing there are people like that out there and i've just interacted with them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wow *** is wrong with people these days? We’re a bunch of like minded guys who love archery and to bow hunt yet some look to screw you over instead of sticking together. Just makes me feel disgusted.

·
Registered
13,600 Posts
There's a new trend going around, be careful not to fall victim.

It's happened to me twice this year already.

Story goes like this:

You (seller) and Buyer agree to a purchase price your item.

You pack/ship the item.

Buyer recieves the item and then opens a claim on Paypal (which locks your paypal account and automatically withdraws the money for the whole transaction until the claim is settled.)

They say something to the effect of the item is "not as described", or, "damaged", or some other false allegation.

They then say they are willing to settle the claim for x amount of dollars (usually 10-30% of price of item).

This puts you in a very bad situation. The buyer has your item. you've already shipped it. You don't know what they've done to it (damaged it, stolen/switched parts off of it, etc). The scammers know 9 out of 10 times people are just gonna say "fine" to be done with it. You're now out an additional x amount of dollars. Scammers know going into the deal they can get away with this.

So, be very wary when selling something online these days. People have learned how to game the system and unfortunately many people are not as honest/honorable as we'd like them to be.

Paypal lets buyers hold the sellers hostage and extort money from them. I mean, whats the alternative? Say no and risk the buyer damage or steal your bow/item, then hope they even return the same item you sent them? what's stopping them from putting some bass pro shop garbage back in your box and sending it back to you? Now you're out a bow and your money.

Anyways. Be careful everyone.

People suck.

/rant
let me ask you this. was it a fairly new member on here?
i never deal with new members.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts