Archery Talk Forum banner

Carrying a bow to the woods? Bowsling?

1186 Views 18 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  R0CKETMAN
My weapon of choice this year will be my bowtech general and i was thinking of a sling to carry it into the woods so i could free up the hands and have it on my back when i go up to the stand. i thought about the bowsling from primos but afraid it wont fit on the bigger cams of my general. any suggestions?
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
467 Posts
Yeah an Eberlestock X-1 backpack. It's the best investment and hunting tool I've probably ever purchased along with my gps and rangefinder.

· Registered
378 Posts
STS and LD cord?

How does this sling work with a LD and a LD cord? I see that it covers the string and cables. I was also wondering about the short stop and cable slide, what does it do in these areas? Am I going to have trouble getting this on and off in a quick fashion.

· Old enough to know better
940 Posts
Bow Sling

the primos will fit your bow, and its very secure. I have one and at work i actually put a customers bow in it and told them if it falls i buy it, shook the living crap out of it to show them how secure it is and they bought one. If you dont need your bow out to shoot then the sling is very nice, just remember some get mad if there using one and come across a deer and think they can get it off and still shoot, its not designed for that. But it is a very nice sling and i can put my bow behind my back and ride my dual sport thru the woods to get somewhere. Great $20 investment in my opinion.
+1 here the Primos is an absolute must if your carrying it very far, the newer models have a bungee that goes underneath the cables to secure it so it won't fall out, can't go wrong with it.

· Registered
603 Posts
Check out Pole Mountain sling, look at bowhunters superstore it will be cheaper than there home page. it comes with extra pockets for some gear and will fit your bow. i have the primos and the pole mt is hands down a better unit. just my 2 cents

· Registered
524 Posts
How does this sling work with a LD and a LD cord? I see that it covers the string and cables. I was also wondering about the short stop and cable slide, what does it do in these areas? Am I going to have trouble getting this on and off in a quick fashion.
I have a Primos sling on my XXL with a LD and it works great. It's not made to take off fast so you can stalk animals but if you just want to carry your bow while going to the stand and back then it's great. You can put the locking strings on it to make sure your bow doesn't come out but I've never had a problem with mine even without the strings locked.

· Registered
378 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have been looking at these for a while and havent bought one yet because of that. Good to hear.

I have a Primos sling on my XXL with a LD and it works great. It's not made to take off fast so you can stalk animals but if you just want to carry your bow while going to the stand and back then it's great. You can put the locking strings on it to make sure your bow doesn't come out but I've never had a problem with mine even without the strings locked.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
My suggestion is never climb any treestand with anything on your back. Into the woods yeah ok fine.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
why? Have you had a bad experience with this or are you just being cautious?:darkbeer:
Cautious, learning from others mistakes....least you could do to yourself if you fall is the bow gets in your way before/as you can regain your grip.

If you do actually fall, and either hit the ground, or hang by your safety strap and bang off the side of the tree and stand a couple of times, you can wrench your back from the riser, break your bow and the limbs explode and bang your head, and worst of all, impale yourself on those 'so very securely held' arrows in your quiver, which have field points on them. Oh wait, nope, they have razors on the edge, so now you have to try and bandage a major bleed while your unconscious on the ground or hanging like a marionette.

Doesn't anyone take bowhunter ed courses where they teach you to retrieve your gear on a lanyard once your securely in your stand?

· Registered
7,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
damn! Youve really thought this through. Never thought about like that. Your quite the safe guy.

· Registered
252 Posts
BOWBAT!!!!!! They are awsome. Made by game plan gear. I put all my gear(face mask, gloves, thermacell, grunt calls, rattle bag, rangefinder, water bottle, release) as well as my bow and quiver. I attach my bow cord to the handle on the bow bat, and pull it up with all my gear in it. Has worked flawlessly so far. I highly reccomend it.

· Registered
2,526 Posts
I've used the Primos for years now. Holds mine even if not snapped. It protects the string/cables and is great for carrying "hands free".
The huge plus is on the one day when you forget your pull rope (particalarly when using a climber). Throw it over your shoulder and up you go.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.