Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple years there have been many threads on here about carrying a gun while hunting. I was just wondering how many people on here have actually had to use a gun for protection while hunting. Not just drew it but actually had to shoot something to protect themselves. I'm sure there has to be a couple but for me it is just not worth the extra worry. I've hunted for over 40 years in many many states including Montana, Wy, CO, Tx ect. and have never carried a gun or felt the need to. Now at no time was I around where griz where if I did that I would probablly carry a pistol. One county in my home state that I hunted for many years was covered in Newsweek magazine as the marijuana capitol of the east. I saw some plants but never felt threatened enough to feel unsafe. Only problems I've ever had was from some crazy ass farmers (not pot growers) who thought they owned all the land. Didn't really want to shoot them. Never felt unsafe around black bears of mt lions the ones I've encounter were more afraid of me than I of them. Closest I ever came to needing a gun was with a couple wild dogs and I just wacked them with a stick and they left, Also did the same with a 10' gator but that was me being dumb and a whole nother subject. So lets here from those who actually had shoot something to save themselves of someone else

·
Registered
827 Posts
for me it is just not worth the extra worry.
what extra worry is there about carrying a pistol while bowhunting? i dont get that one :confused:

i dont care to shoot anything with a firearm anymore, all bow for me, but ive have to shoot a hog point blank. walked up on him in the brush, he turned at us choppin his jaws and i let him have it. ive had a hog come out of no where and take me and my dad off our feet but he kept runnin before we could get a shot. weve had 2 different times where a hog stand their ground around 10-15feet. i redied my bow while my dad was ready with a pistol but by time i drew back they took off.

its just like being in town, i would rather have my pistol and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Here in Indiana we can carry concealed with the right permit, I have a Lifetime Personal Protection Permit....... I now carry (6 inch SS Taurus .357) during archery season for two reasons.....mangy stray mutts and trespassers ....

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I had a bear I had to run off one night, took two shots before he left. He was in the back of my buddies pick up and had no fear of us at all. He had no intentions of leaving until the gun went off. I didn't hit him but I must have come real close from the way he left after the second shot. He did come back the next night for more free grub.

·
Registered
7,765 Posts
I have had to before i even got ready to go hunting. We have wild dogs around and i had one confront me going from the truck to the cabin before i went hunting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
u never know what u might run into i personelly have not had to use one but i always carry for savety reasons. and its no real big hassle at all

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
just be careful because in some states it is ilegal to carry a firearm while bowhuntin in archery season.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
I had mine with me this past season only because the new property I had access to had a lot of bears on it. Rather be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I really don`t see a purpose for a thread like this. I have a CCW and I carry. Its nobody elses business when or why I carry. It sounds to me like a bunch of Liberals on here trying to make us justify our reasoning to have a CCW. Get over it.:angry:

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Sad

Over the last couple years there have been many threads on here about carrying a gun while hunting. I was just wondering how many people on here have actually had to use a gun for protection while hunting. Not just drew it but actually had to shoot something to protect themselves. I'm sure there has to be a couple but for me it is just not worth the extra worry. I've hunted for over 40 years in many many states including Montana, Wy, CO, Tx ect. and have never carried a gun or felt the need to. Now at no time was I around where griz where if I did that I would probablly carry a pistol. One county in my home state that I hunted for many years was covered in Newsweek magazine as the marijuana capitol of the east. I saw some plants but never felt threatened enough to feel unsafe. Only problems I've ever had was from some crazy ass farmers (not pot growers) who thought they owned all the land. Didn't really want to shoot them. Never felt unsafe around black bears of mt lions the ones I've encounter were more afraid of me than I of them. Closest I ever came to needing a gun was with a couple wild dogs and I just wacked them with a stick and they left, Also did the same with a 10' gator but that was me being dumb and a whole nother subject. So lets here from those who actually had shoot something to save themselves of someone else
Unfortunately, the people who needed one, and couldn't carry are not here to tell there side of the story

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I found a meth lab in ohio. Boy was I glad I had it. I called the local authorities & had a game warden come out & I showed him where everything was. When I was out there around it & waiting on the warden I was glad to have it. I can only imagine was the situation could have been if the owners of the lab would have caught me out there.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Never needed one while hunting, but I carry one just about everywhere. Only place I don't is at work, and that is because I work on a Federal installation so permits are not valid. But in all honesty, Ft. Lewis is probably the most dangerous place I go.

However, when out in the woods the .45 is for 2 legged varmints. I'm not worried about the wild animals, they are far less dangerous than your local postal worker.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Here in Indiana we can carry concealed with the right permit, I have a Lifetime Personal Protection Permit....... I now carry (6 inch SS Taurus .357) during archery season for two reasons.....mangy stray mutts and trespassers ....
Yep, as he said, but mine is a snub nose.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I really don`t see a purpose for a thread like this. I have a CCW and I carry. Its nobody elses business when or why I carry. It sounds to me like a bunch of Liberals on here trying to make us justify our reasoning to have a CCW. Get over it.:angry:
No your taking it the wrong way. I have a concealed carry permit and have a pistol in my truck all the time. My question was just is one really needed while bowhunting. I'm not against anyone carrying one anywhere, anyplace, anytime. For me personally I can't see needing one enough that I would want to carry it around all the time while hunting but for those who do I think every state should allow it

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
No your taking it the wrong way. I have a concealed carry permit and have a pistol in my truck all the time. My question was just is one really needed while bowhunting. I'm not against anyone carrying one anywhere, anyplace, anytime. For me personally I can't see needing one enough that I would want to carry it around all the time while hunting but for those who do I think every state should allow it
I have a CCW. Michigan law states that I can carry during bow season. That means it`s legal to carry. It`s nobody elses business why I would want to carry during bow season, just mine.

·
Registered
502 Posts
You don't have to look further than that shootout that occurred in Wisconsin during deer season. A camp of deer hunters confronted a trespasser hunting from one of their stands, asked him to leave because he didn't have permission to be there, threatened to turn him into the DNR and the trespasser started shooting and ended up killing 6 people and injuring 2 others. The only people that didn't get killed or injured were the ones in in their camp that weren't there.

There are people in the world that are willing to do harm to others. That's a reality whether you chose to accept it or not. They could confront you in/near your home, at your office, at a store, outside an ice cream shoppe... and in the woods.

Sure, I may never get hit by lightning in my lifetime, but I also do things to prevent it from happening. Same with a violent confrontation....

·
BIG FRANK....
8,508 Posts
Carrying a gun!!!

Where i hunt there are bears,Mt. lions,and other hunter's, that i don't know.I haven't had to use my 45 auto ,while bow hunting yet. But it's comforting to know that it's there,in case i get into a hairy situation.Although in the past i've been in hairy situation's while hunting, where i almost had to use my 45 auto, too many to list.:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

1 - 20 of 68 Posts