Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of bying some cartel triples but I am a bit concerned with the shaft size

My setup is:

Merlin Max3000 w Rapid 2Cam 28,5" @ 49-50lbs
I am gonna use a 110grns point and for starters beiter nocks

Can someone please give me a suggestion I am down to two sizes either the 600 or the 500 shaft

Magnus

·
Registered
25 Posts
I Magnus,

Go on www.altservices.co.uk then choose the shop.
If you click in the cartel triple, you will find bellow a table.
My father have the same drawlengt as you but he shoots 54lbs (hoyt protec xt3000) and use a 600 spine and there is no problem with the arrow flight.
I shoot 600 too but ultratec xt2000 55lbs arrow lenght 27 1/2

best regards

seb

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what you are saying is that I can go with 600 for my setup without any trouble, what kind of scores have you gotten using the triples?

thanks a bunch seb btw where are you situated?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
I just got my first set of Triples - 300.

Believe me, they actually feel soft for the spine. These are the stiffest Triples, but holding them at 27", I can flex them with comparative ease whereas a similarly over-spined ACE or ACC feels a whole lot stiffer.

Anyways, I always feel that its so much safer to err on the stiffer side by one or two spines for wheels.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
319 Posts
A 500 with a 110 grain point is slightly weak for your setup according to TAP.
(Assuming 28.5 is arrow lenght AND drawlenght )
Again TAP: same arrow with one segment off the tip ( = 100 gr) is exactly right.
Sounds about right to me: I shoot a Super Nova @ 29.5 @ 54 lbs and 400 Triples full point.

One tip though: get rid of the beiters and put vector pins and pin nocks in. I found the beiters don't fit to well and I saved 5 arrows thus far from being robinhooded. nice mushroom pins but no damage to the arrow.

Opa

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the heads up Opa, I have ordered 3 600s at 28,5 to try out so we´ll see. If they don´t work out I wil trim them down a bit first and if that doesn´t work I just get some 500s then, thing is I know of one guy using the 500s on a conquest 2 with approx 30 something drawlength and somewhere between 55-60 lbs and his shoot great don´t know the point weight though.

I was thinking of getting Magnock Ti pins for the cartels and maybe the C1 magnock system too.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Christopher Lee said:
I just got my first set of Triples - 300.

Believe me, they actually feel soft for the spine. These are the stiffest Triples, but holding them at 27", I can flex them with comparative ease whereas a similarly over-spined ACE or ACC feels a whole lot stiffer.

Anyways, I always feel that its so much safer to err on the stiffer side by one or two spines for wheels.

Hope this helps.

You are comparing apples to oranges. For one thing. ACE's are barrel, so they will have a natural tendency to feel stiffer. ACC are quite a bit larger diameter then triple, ACE's are larger diametre then the triple as well. When comparing close spine relations. Thinner shafts of any sort will alway be less stiff to the touch over something of a thicker diameter. I would bet the 300's will be fairly stiff for anything below 60#'s. But that just an assumption.

TAP says for my poundage and draw with a recurve that I would shoot a 570 ace or a 700triple.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Swede said:
thanks for the heads up Opa, I have ordered 3 600s at 28,5 to try out so we´ll see. If they don´t work out I wil trim them down a bit first and if that doesn´t work I just get some 500s then, thing is I know of one guy using the 500s on a conquest 2 with approx 30 something drawlength and somewhere between 55-60 lbs and his shoot great don´t know the point weight though.

I was thinking of getting Magnock Ti pins for the cartels and maybe the C1 magnock system too.

With Triples the shaft weight will allow for less tip weight.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
Tip weight will have SFA effect on spine from a compound. Make sure you use the heaviest.

I would recommend the 400. I use to shoot shorter and a touch heavier and the 500's never grouped great for me. Put my poundage up and went to 300's and they grouped awesome. One of my staffers whoots 55lb 28.5" and uses 400's and owns quite a few Aussie records with that setup.

Compound is not as critical as recurve spine wise, so go stiffer than you may think. 600's however will group like crap, don't touch em.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That´s great to hear timppa. What´s your take on their performance in heavier winds and long range?

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
MerlinApexDylan said:
You are comparing apples to oranges. For one thing. ACE's are barrel, so they will have a natural tendency to feel stiffer. ACC are quite a bit larger diameter then triple, ACE's are larger diametre then the triple as well. When comparing close spine relations. Thinner shafts of any sort will alway be less stiff to the touch over something of a thicker diameter. I would bet the 300's will be fairly stiff for anything below 60#'s. But that just an assumption.

TAP says for my poundage and draw with a recurve that I would shoot a 570 ace or a 700triple.
Thanks MerlinApexDylan!

I never factored the barreling in. I learn something new everyday. AT is a great place to be! :smile:

·
Registered
208 Posts
M.A.D I feel that Triples are actually fatter than the equivalent spine ACE. A 400 triple actually spines over 500 for an easton ace. Ace's are thinner than triples.

·
Urban Archery
3,813 Posts
barico said:
M.A.D I feel that Triples are actually fatter than the equivalent spine ACE. A 400 triple actually spines over 500 for an easton ace. Ace's are thinner than triples.
Not from what I have seen.
A 400 Triple spines in at about a 430-470 ACE.
One simple test, will a G nock be loose, fit or too big for the Triple 400?
The answer is too big to fit.
Given that the ACE is barrelled and it's componants are too big to fit into even a 300 Triple how can the ACE be thinner?
In fact the ACE parts fit into a Cartel X-Pert
In terms of thickness from thinnest up you have
X10
Triple
Vector
ACE
X-Pert

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Magnus,

sorry for the late answer.
About my score :
in Field 1 day 359 pts 2 days 714 pts
At 70m my best score was 348pts (36 arrows) and in the 690pts (72 arrows)
I shoot in Belgium and I'm in the Belgian team since 2001. My best place was 17 at the world championship in 2004.
And for the choice of your arrows it will 600 or 500. You are between the two sizes. Look maybe in archer advantage (if you have it)

best regards

seb

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well it will be very interesting to see how the 600s work out. I will hopefully have them by next week, I will post on their performance on this thread when I have done some testing. Thanks alot to everyone for the input

Magnus

1 - 17 of 17 Posts