Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go .

I use this release now since one week , so far i like it . But's there's a little technical problem that i dont like and maybe somebody can tell me how to eliminate this .

The bow that i use has a holding weight of 17 lbs , i set the release after some testing at 20 lbs . When i start everything feels fine , but i can feel how the release is going stiffer from series to series . So i tested it with a scale , at the beginning it fires at 20 lbs , and then from arrow to arrow its getting stiffer and stiffer . After 9 shoots i'm at 22.5lbs . When i lay it down , wait 10 to 15 minutes , then it's back at 20 lbs .

So what should i do :confused2::dontknow:

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
3-in-one oil does wonders. I shot my evo for about a year, and shot some good games with it. But I did need to lube it every couple of months to keep it consistant.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I guess I have been lucky with mine as they both seem very consistant.

I did try one in the shop that seemed a little less consitant so they sent that one back to Carter as sometime it was a struggle to get it to fire.

I don't know if there is a simple fix but I would send Carter an e-mail and see what they suggest.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
442, send Dado a PM. I believe he did some testing and found that oiling helped.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Oil?

Ya where do you Oil them, how do you recommend oiling them and how much oil do you use?:embara:

·
(aka lug nut)
52,101 Posts
Do you have to open them up to oil?
Nope.

The hook (bottom part that you can't see) rides on a spring loaded lever arm.
With the hook engaged,
put a dab of oil on the hook and let it run into the release.

After you fire the release,
with the hook disengaged,
you can put a dab of oil at the base of the hook.

Here is the picture thread by Dado.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=409928&referrerid=22477

In the picture of the Red Evo release,
Dado took it apart.

In the picture of the Blue Evo release,
Dado has an arrow showing where the add a dab of oil
in case you do not need want to take apart the release.

I just use the Blue Evo release method.
No disassembly required.

Picture courtesy of Dado.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The best lube I've found is a lubricant with teflon in it. Zep has a product called Zep-45 that works great. I believe a product called Tri-flo is the same thing. I work with a number of lock-smiths and they all use this on locks. Works great on all releases. I use it on the Evolution and others.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Here, I'll just add a thing or two - I used some thick(er) grease that's probably 15-20 years old, so nothing special there.
Didn't have to lube it since I did it last time (I think in Jan/Feb. this year) On the other hand, my other Carter Evolution works w/o these problems.
All in all, the unconsistent versions seem to like lubing like 2 times a year.
And yes - don't forget that lower temperatures make this release harder and vice versa...

·
C:\My Documents\My Pictur
23,671 Posts
I never had to lube mine.But I did find. I had to hold it in the same position ,each time.If I would allow it to be on to much of a ange.It was harder

·
Registered
889 Posts
FWIW I am having the same issues with my Revolution. It cost me a 600 last night I dropped 3 points on one end and one on another due to increased pressure. I softened the spring and had no problems for the rest of the evenig.

I just took it apart an lubed it with a synthetic PTFE based gun lube. It's pulling consistantly now. Wish I'd seen this thread yesterday!

Cya!

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
I never had to lube mine.But I did find. I had to hold it in the same position ,each time.If I would allow it to be on to much of a ange.It was harder
I got two of them. One is 10 months old, the other is 6 months old. The older one required 2 lubings so far. The newer model = no probs yet...
O, and BTW - I keep both of the releases in small closable plastic bags - trying to keep the dust as away as I can.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have had one for a few months now without any problems.

You do need to make sure you are appling the same pressure at full draw EVERYTIME!!

Most people have the same problem, their release gets harder to set off the more they shoot. I believe it is because they get tired/lazy as they shoot. The evolution goes off with the same pressure each time, if you aren't appling enough pressure (weak shot) then it won't go off as easy.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have had one for a few months now without any problems.

You do need to make sure you are appling the same pressure at full draw EVERYTIME!!

Most people have the same problem, their release gets harder to set off the more they shoot. I believe it is because they get tired/lazy as they shoot. The evolution goes off with the same pressure each time, if you aren't appling enough pressure (weak shot) then it won't go off as easy.
I am afraid my bow scale begs to differ with you.

Cya!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts