Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there using the Carter Lock Jaw 2000 or Two shot index finger releases for hunting? Never tried a Carter, and was just looking for some feedback.

Champion2
Full Draw Outdoors
Richwood/CSS

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Two Shot

I have 6-7 releases used mostly for hunting. Two Carters..One chocolate addiction, the other a 2 shot. The 2 shot has the best trigger of any release that I have tried. My concern is the loud click when the release is fired. Many on this forum reporting hunting with them with great sucess. You did not say if you use a loop or shoot off the string? Check out the "Click" on the Carter. Also I think all the "Gate" type releases pluck the string somewhat. Too bad you can't stop by I would let you try all 7 of mine. Also take a look that the Tru Ball Tornado. It is the one I hunt with most. Hope this did not confuse you. A release is a real "Personal Preference" type of item.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been using a Jim Dandy release off a loop. I have the one you can shoot off a loop or the string. I like the Jim Dandy because of the forward positioned trigger so you do not have as much draw length loss, and I also like the feel and contuor of the trigger. I removed the velcro strap and went with a Tru-Ball buckle style strap because I do not like velcro. My only concern is that the hook up with this release is not as fast I would like, and hook up directly to the string with this release was pinching my center serving. Plus I like using a D-loop. I was thinking of going with a release that is made for a loop exclusively. The Jim Dandy Loop only version, or the The Tru-Ball Short and Sweet SS are two I am looking at because of the forward positioned triggers. The Carters caught my eye because they look to have more of a forward positioned trigger also.

Champion2
Full Draw Outdoors
Richwood/CSS

· Registered
2,565 Posts
Short n Sweet

I have a S&S and it is a good release. The trigger seems light which works good but be carefull while wearing gloves. I heard good things about Scoot Rinos also but have not shot one. I also shoot a loop and will not go back to shooting off the string. Another thing you mentioned is velcro straps. I will not buy a release without a buckle strap , velcro makes too much noise.

· Registered
851 Posts
I personally love the 2 shot but that damn click drives me up the wall and after getting busted on a nice buck, I won't use again while bowhunting. I also have a Scott Rhino and Short & Sweet. The new S & S with the swept back trigger is really a nice hunting release. The Rhino is a great release as well but I'm just more comfortable with the S & S. Just a matter of personal preference however.

· Registered
9,684 Posts
I hunted with the 2-shot this year and the three deer I shot, all of which were 15 yards from tree stand....Never heard the release! Id ask them...but they are in the freezer.... :D
I personally have no problem with what little noise/click the release makes.

· Registered
2,565 Posts
2 Shot

I don't think the click when fired is as big a problem as the click when locking on. THIS IS ONE GREAT RELEASE.. just too noisy. Fix the click and landfill all the others I own.

· Registered
9,684 Posts
Tunaboy said:
I don't think the click when fired is as big a problem as the click when locking on. THIS IS ONE GREAT RELEASE.. just too noisy. Fix the click and landfill all the others I own.
Even the click locking on can be kept to a minimum if one does it right or smart....If you close the release slowly and take caution I dont find mine makes enough noise to worry over. If you snap it shut quick...sure it does make a click. But just try it slow and be cautious and it should be ok.

· Registered
787 Posts
Ditto

bloodtrail1 said:
Even the click locking on can be kept to a minimum if one does it right or smart....If you close the release slowly and take caution I dont find mine makes enough noise to worry over. If you snap it shut quick...sure it does make a click. But just try it slow and be cautious and it should be ok.
Ditto. I have hunted with mine and took three deer and had close encounters with countless others. The closest was only 8 yds away and never heard me hook up.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tunaboy,

I like to set the sensitivity on my hunting release on what most guys would consider heavy. So I can get into the release say to speak. There is a lot of adjustment on the sensitivity of the Jim Dandy. I will probably shoot the Jim Dandy loop only release next year in place of my Jim Dandy original for quicker loading on the string loop.

Thanks to all replies,

CHAMPION2
FULL DRAW OUTDOORS
RICHWOOD/CSS

· Registered
2,492 Posts
C2 , with the 2 shot , when hooking to the string/d-loop , if you slightly depress the trigger while locking the release , it completely eliminates any and all clicking , smooth as silk and noiseless , during the shot however , there is an audible click ( cost me an antelope this yr ) , has never caused a prob on deer tho ........ those are the 2 downsides and a way to cure 1 of them ... on the + side , absolutely great release , as far as shootability , dont get any better than a 2 shot :) , Dan

· Registered
327 Posts
I am not trying to divert this discussion related to the Carter 2-shot. However, I had been trying to decide between the 2-shot and the Tru-Fire Stealth (I like the idea if the Stealth 3/4 inch adjustability and the adjustable trigger weight also). From many discussions on AT they both seem to be very good releases. I will soon actually try both but wanted to wait untill our archery season is over before I try another release. How is the Tru-Fire Stealth as far as clicking noise? I would appreciate any other comments on either release. Thanks- Oldstuff

· Registered
1,767 Posts
You can eliminate the click on the 2 shot by squeezing the trigger and you cock the release. Once the cocking button is in the fully depressed position, release the trigger and the release will stay cocked. It is completely silent when doing this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.