Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to Release aids, but have been shooting a B.T."Hinge" release for a couple weeks, a Scott Longhorn, I think...I was looking at the Carter website, and I see some of the releases are available as a "Hinge", and also as a "Spike"...These releases are the Atension, and the Colby...What is the difference between the Spike, and the Hinge, and what are the Pro's, and Con's of these "Spike" type B.T. release aids...Thanks in advance...Harperman

·
(aka lug nut)
49,670 Posts
I'm pretty new to Release aids, but have been shooting a B.T."Hinge" release for a couple weeks, a Scott Longhorn, I think...I was looking at the Carter website, and I see some of the releases are available as a "Hinge", and also as a "Spike"...These releases are the Atension, and the Colby...What is the difference between the Spike, and the Hinge, and what are the Pro's, and Con's of these "Spike" type B.T. release aids...Thanks in advance...Harperman
HINGE has moving parts.

SPIKE has no moving parts, so imagine a hook.
You can adjust the angle of the hook, and then lock it down.

On the HINGE release,
when the release fires...
the "hook" falls off the edge of a half moon piece of metal,
and the hook freely rotates and the hook
slips off the d-loop.

On a SPIKE release,
the entire handle has to rotate around your finger.

On the HINGE release,
the hook rotates off the d-loop.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HINGE has moving parts.

SPIKE has no moving parts, so imagine a hook.
You can adjust the angle of the hook, and then lock it down.

On the HINGE release,
when the release fires...
the "hook" falls off the edge of a half moon piece of metal,
and the hook freely rotates and the hook
slips off the d-loop.

On a SPIKE release,
the entire handle has to rotate around your finger.

On the HINGE release,
the hook rotates off the d-loop.
.....Thanks, Nuts&Bolts!!,...O.K., now for the Million Dollar question...L.O.L....What are the Pro's, and Con's of the Spike, VS. the Hinge??..The Spike type looks to be a little bit shorter from the hook to the back of the fingers, so if it is, this should help with "Draw length" challenged Shooters, right??...From Your excellent description of how this Spike release works, it would seem that this style of hook would almost force the archer to really use the upper back muscles to set the release off, or else they would have to rotate the hand (cheat?)to set it off, right??..This would kind of negate (cheat) the effect of the surprise release then, wouldnt it??..I like the looks of the Colby Spike, and I'd like to try a Spike type release to see if I can shoot it better than a Hinge style...Thanks again!......Take care.......Harperman

·
(aka lug nut)
49,670 Posts
.....Thanks, Nuts&Bolts!!,...O.K., now for the Million Dollar question...L.O.L....What are the Pro's, and Con's of the Spike, VS. the Hinge??..The Spike type looks to be a little bit shorter from the hook to the back of the fingers, so if it is, this should help with "Draw length" challenged Shooters, right??...From Your excellent description of how this Spike release works, it would seem that this style of hook would almost force the archer to really use the upper back muscles to set the release off, or else they would have to rotate the hand (cheat?)to set it off, right??..This would kind of negate (cheat) the effect of the surprise release then, wouldnt it??..I like the looks of the Colby Spike, and I'd like to try a Spike type release to see if I can shoot it better than a Hinge style...Thanks again!......Take care.......Harperman
I am using a Ideal Release which is a "spike" release.
It has a solid finger hole for the index finger.

So, when I do my part (relaxed relase hand...consistent hook on the fingers)
and just pull through the shot
the HANDLE does all the work
and just rotates around my index finger
so the the "hook spike" slips off the d-loop.

No moving parts
no magic procedure
no special mumbo jumbo
no springs
nothing to oil cuz no moving parts
no click

no doubts if the shot does NOT go off
(cuz there are zero moving parts...if the shot takes too long, it's YOU)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts