Archery Talk Forum banner

Carter Release users..Need input!

865 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  jdcamo
I just got a Carter Just B Cuz release. I plan on using it for hunting out here in the west. My only concern is the click of it when triggered. I am concerneed it might be too loud and animals might hear it. Anyone ever have any issues with their carter release scaring game?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,225 Posts
no i just get nervous when up the stand. I don't have a loop around my wrist and if i knocked if off it would fall down to the base off the tree

· Registered
7,492 Posts
I used a Carter release for hunting in 2007 & killed 6 deer with my bow & never had 1 spook from the click of my release. Just hook it on your D-loop & let it hang it will be right there when it's time for the death draw.:wink:

· Registered
7,530 Posts
Ive hunted with a Carter Insatiable 3 for a few years. Never had any problems, then again I don't wait till the deer come in to hook the release up. I get in the tree, arrow goes on the string, release clips on the D-Loop, bow goes on the hook.

I have always set my release fairly heavy though but I will offer this little nugget of info (and even with a heavy trigger I still do it). If you plan on shooting a hair trigger you should seriously consider getting 2 releases. Last thing you want to have happen is have the trigger bump against something and watch your release fall to the ground. I've never had it happen yet but I always have the exact same release in my fanny pack set up exactly the same.

· Registered
10,618 Posts
Have someone listen

I was concerned about the same thing. One day, I had a buddy of mine stand behind me and listen to 3 different releases. My Carter just cuz,my back tension, and my carter quickie plus. He closed his eyes and I shot all three. He said he couldn't tell the difference between them, so I don't worry about it. You might try the same and see if you can tell.

· Registered
2,381 Posts
you can push down the thumb trigger, engage the sheer, and close the bit. Then while holding the sheer and bit down and closed, let up on the thumb trigger and your silently locked up.

It may take some practice but this is what I did with this release, and then I changed to a sensation and evolution so the bit doesn't close completely and I lock it and slip it on the d-loop when I want to.

I can understand in a spot and stalk situation you can't clip the release on your string like you do in a stand where you hang up your bow and it waits for you to use it.

· Registered
2,381 Posts
Thousands of hunters use double seared Carter releases to take all sorts of game, myself included. The small sound is swallowed up by the much larger sound of your bow going off.
I think he is refering to getting the release set and put on his d-loop before the shot. maybe I'm wrong though

· Registered
4,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am talking about the sound of the release when fired. I am not worried about hooking up to my d loop. Only the click when the release is triggers and the string is let loose.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Like previously stated, once you release the only sound heard is the bow, by then, it its probably too late for the animal anyways!!!

I have hunted with a Carter Fits Me for 5 or 6 years now and have never had a problem.

· Corripe Cervisiam
27,956 Posts
I think those Carters are about the best quality target releases you can find.

I'll never forget a bull [elk] I called in for a buddy spooked on him setting his Carter. Called the raghorn back in though and he drilled it. A smarter bull might not have come back... set it early

· Lift, Run, Shoot
15,089 Posts
Worry not - I can assure you that you bow will make more noise than your release will. Once you've fired, it's too late.

I've killed plenty of critters with Carter releases (including Insatiable 3, Chocolate Lite and Chocolate Addiction). Never had any problem with this whatsoever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.