Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has shot one or both of these releases and how they compare. I'm transitioning from a index release to a thumb button and have whittled the choices down to these two. I would be using this mostly for indoor target archery. My main concerns are not sending the release through the bow.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I’ve shot them both and ended up buying one of them. Which one? The one I liked better. You should shoot them both and buy whichever you like better. Neither one will be sent through the bow if you use them correctly.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I shot both yesterday. Bought the perfex. The perfex won out for me because it let me choose between 2,3 or 4 finger. I started with the 4 finger and by the time I went to bed last night I had shot enough to know I like the 3 finger best. Before yesterday I was completely new to thumb releases. The fact that the perfex is so adjustable makes it awesome for guys new to thumb releases. It allows us to experiment and find what we like best.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I've only dealt with Carter's customer service and they were top notch, so imo gotta go Carter.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to the Perfex, and really liked it until it started being inconsistent and difficult to cock.. I had my pro-shop send it back to Stan yesterday. Brandon McDonald posted a video of his Perfex breaking, resulting in a good fist to the face. The jury is still out on this release as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Check out the Truball Blade

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,567 Posts
Really, it is all in how they feel to you.

The Carter is pretty simple. The only real adjustments is trigger pressure and where you place the thumb barrel. The Stan can get complicated with all of its included options. 4 or 5 posts, two barrels, 2, 3 and 4 finger options, etc.

Me? I like Carter and have for years bit it is just personal preference.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I shoot Carter I have several of their releases that I switch back and forth to they are well made and have great customer service. I personally like the feel of the Carter better probably because I’ve spent most my time shooting them. I’m shooting the wise choice now and have been for a while it’s my go to release. That being said I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a Stan I’ve shot a few and they are great the ones I shot were set a little hot for my liking but you can adjust it to what you want. The only complaint I have on the Stan is the thumb trigger I’m not a fan of the design. Like I said I didn’t get a lot of time to play with it and they weren’t my releases to get my custom fit to them they were set to the owner. I don’t think you can go wrong with ether shoot both and see what you think.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Been shooting the Stan Perfex for a few years now. Love that release. Just recently bought a Carter and had it for a week and sold it and bought a second Perfex as a back up. Did not like the carter at all. Just getting it on the D loop is a pain. If it touches the D loop at all it wont close and you have to hook from below the D loop at an angle. The Perfex is much more adjustable and more comfortable. Those are just my opinions though and I'm sure some would think the opposite of me. The other issue I had with the Carter was that it literally ate up my D loop in 1 week and when I mentioned that in my Bow shop someone else said that they had been hearing that was an issue.

·
Registered
19,710 Posts
Had a Perfex for a couple months & was to inconsistence, sold it after 4 other guys tried it & came up with the. As far as hitting your bow with it if you can't hang on to it better stay with the index release you now have.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I am shooting the Tru Ball Blade Pro flex Quicksilver 3 finger medium release for everything. I am well pleased with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I love my Stan Perfex Heavy Metal and their customer service is very good. I stripped the locking screw and they fixed it no questions asked. Now I'm waiting to hear more about their perfex hinge that is rumored to come out sometime this year.

Reactions: Green/OH

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I had both at one time, both are great releases and it all come down to personal preference. I kept the wise choice and sold the perfex because it fit my hand better.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I picked up both off of AT and settled on the Perfex. I would give a slight edge in trigger crispness to the Carter, but the Perfex is much quieter when closing, and you can lock it up and still slip it on your d-loop with the spring loaded clasp. I use mine with a wrist strap when shooting and hunting so this feature really comes in handy.
If I was just shooting targets I may have gone with the Carter.

One thing to note also, I had an older version of the carter that still had trigger travel adjustment. I have never shot the new one but have heard a few folks on here complain about the new CES system.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Shoot both and pick the one you like.

Failing that, I’d pick the Stan, simply based on the fact that you can adjust it to feel and fit hawever you want.

·
Slinging Arrows
1,534 Posts
I recently switched from a Sweetspot Pro to the Carter Wise Choice. I have not shot the Stan, so I can only comment on the Wise Choice. The Carter allows for trigger sensitivity and thumb position adjustments. It's all up to you depending on what you like and what feels best for you. If you decide to go with the Wise Choice, and you want a light trigger (I like it light) watch the Dudley video on setting the Nock 2 it trigger. It's the same since both are Carter releases.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts