Archery Talk Forum banner

case ideas to save $$

1018 Views 9 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  arrowyn
Since I'm upgrading, I needed something bigger and better than the cartel bag I have (its funny its pretty great for cartel).

I'm looking for something sturdy to bring out to the range and small enough to fit in a sedan, preferably in the trunk.

I was going to use a duffle bag, but then I wanted a hard case (I made the mistake of using non hard case for a guitar . . . got banged around pretty good in the trunk ; good thing it was a cheap instrument).

I'll be bringing it and out of the range, and maybe in and out of vehicles and small planes (but not airline travel).

For a wooden takedown ILF riser the soft cartel bag is fine, but if I was going to carry a world class riser . . .

I asked at the range / class and they named off archery brands and they make cases. Someone said don't go ghetto and get non archery case (there's a trad longbow guy who brings in a chest, I think it was an old D&D {dungens n dragons} boxed set case he gets alot of jokes). But me, I'm like, whatever to being stylish or made fun of.

I was at LAS (lancaster) and all the good cases are 200+ .

Then at walmart I remembered a friend and I checking out the guns and ammo they have on sale there for kicks (joking), and they had gun cases like the pelican ones (the near bullet proof combat ones) for $70 on up.

Then I read here about baseball bags, from other posts here. That's a good idea . . . but I don't know if they are tough enough. Has anyone used them with expensive risers?

One had a hard compartment but it was just big enough to hold gloves (stacked on top of each other). I was thinking I could get bubble wrap / foam liner for sensitive archery parts . . .

Also I saw the fishing ones are large enough (and cheaper). Then there's also the regular luggage, I saw a clamshell one, it was pretty chic and fly enough the sport one.

@ my work where the IT dept next door always throws out the foam inserts / bubble wrap / etc for computer shipping cardboard boxes, I was thinking of just buying a clamshell luggage case and making the foam inserts with foam friendly epoxy and a sharp knife . . .

anyone else got good case ideas?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
3,155 Posts
You can definitely find a nice gun case for under $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Pillare...&qid=1374474971&sr=1-12&keywords=shotgun+case

Or this recurve case:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/exe-hard-recurve-case.html

If you're okay with soft cases, there's something like this:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/fivics-v-storm-rc-300-recurve-case.html

Or the new lines of backpacks that are sub $80:

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/legend-archery-streamline-backpack-usa-model.html

Plenty of options depending on your preference/budget.

Hope that helps,

AN

· Detected rambling:
910 Posts
Buying a good case/bag can last you years, so getting a more expensive one that protects and is flexible to store different gear is worthwhile. I have the Sebastian Flute Premium Backpack, and with the internal bags keeping the riser/limbs/small-stuff from freely roaming around I trust this bag to protect my current and future gear.

· Registered
3,879 Posts
While i agree that buying a good case will serve you well for a long time its possible that you are in the same position as me and don't have the funds to make that kind of purchase just yet....but still want to protect your gear.

I use this....it's a decent case for the money, is long enough for a 30" main rod with 4 weights on it and has enough room for me to carefully pack my stabs, riser, limbs, and sight (keeping in mind that each one has a sleeve or protective case to sleep in while in the hard case. I found mine on clearance in the store for $39.99....has served me well for a while now but since I plan on flying to some shoots next year I'll have to find something more airline/bow friendly.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...kw=breakdown+shotgun&origkw=breakdown+shotgun

· Registered
88 Posts
I'm not proud and here is what I actually did for an entire season of travel.

Went to the local thrift store and bought a big old Samsonite old school 1970's vintage hard suitcase for $5!!

Went to WalMart and picked up a $12 memory foam mattress topper (twin bed).

Cut the foam to size and lined the suitcase.

Stabilizer and arrow tube fit diagonally across the suitcase. Everything else fir to either side, including my scope. Had to carry the tripod on backpack though.

Worked great. Never had any issues with checkin it in or baggage fees. I would pack my clothes in my Hoyt back pack and transfer everything once I got to my destination.

· Detected rambling:
910 Posts
I'm not proud and here is what I actually did for an entire season of travel.

Went to the local thrift store and bought a big old Samsonite old school 1970's vintage hard suitcase for $5!!

Went to WalMart and picked up a $12 memory foam mattress topper (twin bed).

Cut the foam to size and lined the suitcase.

Stabilizer and arrow tube fit diagonally across the suitcase. Everything else fir to either side, including my scope. Had to carry the tripod on backpack though.

Worked great. Never had any issues with checkin it in or baggage fees. I would pack my clothes in my Hoyt back pack and transfer everything once I got to my destination.

· Registered
114 Posts
I used a small (take down) rifle case for a while until I could afford the SKB case. The rifle case worked fine to transport my basic gear, but the SKB is just all around so much better.

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all, I'll probably go with the pelicans as they are large to fit my gear and make the foam inserts . . . my friend who works for TSA says the pelicans last

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.