Archery Talk Forum banner

cat whiskers

690 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jpm_mq2
OK, my guy is puttng on the string silencers, and is having some difficulty getting them cut into little puffballs. Is there a trick to it?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Omnia, EnKore, RevoltX
4,604 Posts
whiskers

Tie a single overhand knot (tight). Grab just the ends and pull the whole works away from the string 3-4 inches. Cut through the whole works just above where you are holding. This will separate the individual strands. As you shoot several times; they will puff out even more. :darkbeer:

· Registered
475 Posts
I like to fold my whisker in half first. I then do an overhand 1/2 knot (like you do to start tying your shoes) right in the middle of the whisker as tight as you can get it. Repeat on the opposite side of the string. Do one more on the original side, finishing with another on that same side making a square knot. Cut the tag ends and burn. I've used dental floss or an old cut up fast flight string for tying them on. I then will cut the whisker in half right where it's folded. Now, depending on the brand of whisker you've got...on the ones that you don't have to stretch and cut, I separate the whisker by splitting it into thinner pieces by hand. I then hold on to the knot and pull the whisker strips, letting them snap back. Do this to all the pieces and you should have the puff ball look. On the whiskers that you have to stretch and cut, I do it the exact same way except that I have someone hold on to the whisker/knot while I stretch the pieces out while cutting the very tips of the strips off with scissors very slowly. For a longer whisker...don't fold and eliminate the part about cutting it at the fold. Works the same. This is a lot easier than words can describe. It took someone showing me for the great mystery to reveal itself. I never could figure out how they did it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.