Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been bow hunting since sept 24th, have a Doe tag but I said I can be patient and wait for antlers.Out here we're allowed only 1 deer per hunter.I was determined to shoot my deer with my brand new bow, but never saw decent antlers.
Saw many does, bow range, good size, did not shoot, starting to get impatient but lasted it out until muzzle loader which started Last Saturday.
Anyhow, weatherman called for 50% chance of rain,strong 40-50mph winds, snow etc....Wanted to take my bow , but with strong winds, decided not to.
Saturday morning, rain walked to my spot at 6.00am, hunted till 9.00am in light rain, soaking wet, miserable since I did not see a soul. So I decided to walk to another stand 1/2 mile away and hunt a few more hours, walked like a mice, no noise since the ground was soaking wet, ideal condition to stalk, crossed a stream that was quite swollen after the rain, almost went swimming with my entire equipment, rain faded, melting snow falling from the sky, then turned to rain again.... no soul did a few grunts, and used the rattle bag, nothing!!!!! So I decided that I should head back to camp, maybe it's gonna be better in the afternoon. Since I did my share, removed my 209 firering cap, hooked up the muzzle loader to the rope, slowly dropped descending paying attention to noises, put my fanny pack around mt waist, my blaze orangeon my back, checked behind me a last time and decided to climb down slowly, noiselessly.....from my 20 feet tree stand, took all my time since the steps were slippery,last step and i'm on the ground, grabbed my muzzle loader which was hanging from the rope still twisting around itself, opened it up and slipped the firering cap in the breach, and closed it as smoothly as possible without making any noise, looked up and decided to walk away....
Snoooooort, snoooort, a big body 6 pointer, I mean big body!!!!! took off, it was there in the open, at 11 oclock of my stand,50 yards away, never knew when he walked into my range..................
Maaaaaaaaaann, waited for him for so long... so patient and now I get busted.
Never knew how fast or when he walked in, maybe I did not wait lomg enough after my last rattle, must have heard me rattling and walk in at a quick pace.
I've been swearing internally all the way up to my truck which was 1 mile away... should have waited another 2 minutes, what is 2 minutes more considering that I have been hunting for 5 hours......2 minutes.....
That's the miserable story of my hunting weekend.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Columbus Archer said:
Happens to all of us!! Every year it happens to me! Just think, next time you go out a bigger buck is waiting on you!
That's what I said to myself as a consolation, I've put enough hours to it that I believe it will happen, nice buck or even a monster doe, that I have already seen yerterday afternoon but 200 yards out of range. I mean monster Doe 200 pounds+ easy, no lie!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Papick. If something like that doesn't happen to you at least once a season your probably not huning hard enough. look on the bright side. Both the deer and the hunter are smarter for the experience.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
hey bud don't worry about it. I REALLY got caught with my pants down this year.
About the third week i was sitting along a property line bordered by a small old logging road. Getting time for deer to move and i had to urinate. I was holding it for a while so i just decided to let loose. Halfway through the job a doe walked up and by my stand at 10 yards. Didn't even care about me.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts