Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to give a heads up to anyone hunting in this area. The area I am talking about is the Gila River bottom just east of Bullard Ave and north of Vinyard Ave. Both yesterday and today while hunting coyote, I have seen and heard a group of 5-10 chinese guys illegally shooting at ducks and other waterfowl on the water using .22s and air rifles. These guys post up on both sides of the pond, and just let the bullets fly. Not only that, but they start way before shooting hours here in AZ, almost an hour before sunrise using a spotlight. Today, a father and his son were shot at since they were down range in a duck blind. They yelled to let the chinese guys know they were there, and they were still shot at later. The father and son left quickly. I too was moving stands and had shots come in my direction. So I called and let the DNR know these guys are down there so hopefully the DNR will do something.
Here is a link to the area I am talking about.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...21786,0.042272&t=h&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=15&z=15

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I would call the Sheriff too. It's not just a DNR violation, and the Sheriff might take it more seriously. That would suck getting hit by a .22 while in the duck blind. :(

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I agree. Sheriff needs to be called also. If I was out there with my kid and he was shot, things would not go well. Especially if I started yelling at them to let them know I was there.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Hopefully they got busted , make a follow up call and make sure . They need your help .

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
STAY ON THIS!!!!!!!!!!! Keep making the calls to follow up. Sherriff dept, DNR, FED Law Enforecement. Etc...
THose jack holes need to be busted HARD! SWAT will probably be needed due to the firearms involved.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill stay on it for sure. The next time I am down there, if they are doing it i'll call the sheriffs office immediately. I called the DNR this morning to let them know this is still going on, so maybe they will step up patrols. All I want to do is hunt coyote, and with this many shots going off, the yotes will not stick around for sure. Bonus though was that i was able to catch the meteor shower two mornings in a row, and it was a beautiful thing to see.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Unreal...if I had my boy with me, I'd like to think I'd be level-headed enough to just leave without throwing some shot their way. And...Chinese?? Didn't see that one coming...

-WRM

·
Registered
364 Posts
Unreal...if I had my boy with me, I'd like to think I'd be level-headed enough to just leave without throwing some shot their way. And...Chinese?? Didn't see that one coming...

-WRM
I doubt they were Chinese. Don't want to stereotype a specific nationality.... But Asian doesn't make them Chinese. There are some asain nationalities that have a well earned reputation for poaching but Chinese isn't one of them

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I doubt they were Chinese. Don't want to stereotype a specific nationality.... But Asian doesn't make them Chinese. There are some asain nationalities that have a well earned reputation for poaching but Chinese isn't one of them
You are correct, I am not sure if they are chinese, cantonese, mandarin, and it was wrong of me to label just one. The poachers are of that decent, and also I am glad that the father and son left when they did and didn't get hurt. This post was to warn any other guys that use that area for hunting that are on this site. It is crazy this happens, and crazy enough I ran into a couple of guys at Walmart who duckhunt down there and they had some stories about these poachers, and I guess the DNR has been told about these guys before.

also, to clarify, the father and son were in a duck blind and were down range with ducks in front of them. The poachers were shooting at these ducks and put the father and son in a line of fire. They yelled at the poachers to have them stop shooting in that direction for safety, but the poachers kept shooting in that direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts