Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was over at another site yesterday and seen a post of a guy who got popped in then eye yesterday while stringing his bow without a stringer. I can't find that post but here are some pics of what can happen. They guy yesterday didn't lose an eye but people have. Now let's see if I remember how to post a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yesterdays victim

Well were do I start? I know better and even Mr. Ron Laclair warned me but I still started unstringing my old recurve with the push pull method. I mean it was a light poundage (30 to 40lbs) and I was always careful to pull straight back as to not twist the limbs. I've always used a stringer on my heavier bows but started geting lazy on the lower weight ones. Anyway tonight I was going to unbrace my bow and I still had my tab on and it was against my palm making a nice slippery surface to slip off the bow and almost took my I out.I'm really lucky that I did'nt loose my eye it was a direct hit to the eyelid and eyeball didn't hit any bone. I fell to the floor and the first thing my left eye saw was a bow stringer under me on the floor. I thought my exploded and I could feel fluid in my hands but luckly it was only blood. At first I couldn't see but a pin hole out of that eye but after awhile it has come around and I think I'll have full vision again but I can't really open it now to tell. Well I'll quit rambling on I just thought everyone could use a good reminder. 10 stitches and real lucky I still have an eye. Oh and the Bows ok! case I scared anyone. lol

Attachments

·
One crazy Mutant ;)
9,083 Posts
I've made my own stringer but before that I've used the ole, lower limb against my left ankle, my right leg through the opening of the bow & string & then I use my right palm to push against the upper limb till there is enough slack to release the string from the nock.

Has worked for years but I understand the need for a stringer, tis why I made mine.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reminder

I usually use my stinger, but occasionaly I don't. I'd forgotten the lesson I'd gotten when I got my bow, but I now remember being told to turn your head while doing it. I know with my luck it wouldn't just be a black eye.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Well were do I start? I know better and even Mr. Ron Laclair warned me but I still started unstringing my old recurve with the push pull method. I mean it was a light poundage (30 to 40lbs) and I was always careful to pull straight back as to not twist the limbs. I've always used a stringer on my heavier bows but started geting lazy on the lower weight ones. Anyway tonight I was going to unbrace my bow and I still had my tab on and it was against my palm making a nice slippery surface to slip off the bow and almost took my I out.I'm really lucky that I did'nt loose my eye it was a direct hit to the eyelid and eyeball didn't hit any bone. I fell to the floor and the first thing my left eye saw was a bow stringer under me on the floor. I thought my exploded and I could feel fluid in my hands but luckly it was only blood. At first I couldn't see but a pin hole out of that eye but after awhile it has come around and I think I'll have full vision again but I can't really open it now to tell. Well I'll quit rambling on I just thought everyone could use a good reminder. 10 stitches and real lucky I still have an eye. Oh and the Bows ok! case I scared anyone. lol

thanks for teaching me something....at your expense :cry:

·
Registered
717 Posts
UGH!! Tough break!
I'm guilty as well. I get lazy and like a big dummy, don't even bother to use the stringer. This is a great reminder for sure. I know I've had that tip near my eye and inside my comfort zone more than once. Every time I did it I couldn't help but think of those pictures I saw. It only takes one slip.....

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have one, I have shot it quite a bit, back in the day, but I always did this the dumb way apparently. lol.

Vid comments. That guy cheats. He was using a kids bow. There is no way i could do that with my bow. It would end up owning my arse.

PS: I, and Mine are used lightly in this. It is actually my dad's, But there is no way he will be using it any time in the near future, more likely ever again.
I'm just waiting for a good day to ask him if I can have it. lol. Maybe when I get some more time and money laying around. I like shooting with that bow. Its just more fun. I'm thinking of taking it bowfishing this year.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The push/pull method is nothing more than a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ouch! That had to hurt! I always use a stringer with my recurves but I never do with my longbow. Maybe I will start though!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
More pictures?

Anybody have any more graphic pictures of injuries sustained from not using a stringer?

I'm making a powerpoint presentation for my youth group on how and why to use a stringer and these will really help "drive the point home" :lol3: so to speak.

·
Registered
38,293 Posts
I remember reading what seemed like a credible story in an archery forum. The poster was telling of someone (a relative, I think) who had died using push pull. The individual was stringing a light recurve, it slipped, the tip hit him right at the temple and, IIRC, sent a shard of bone into his brain and killed him. I read that something like 5 years ago but I haven't been able to find the post. I read it on some forum other than AT. It would be a good incident to track down and verify.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here is link to another

Anybody have any more graphic pictures of injuries sustained from not using a stringer?

I'm making a powerpoint presentation for my youth group on how and why to use a stringer and these will really help "drive the point home" :lol3: so to speak.
http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=190002&messages=51&CATEGORY=5

http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/thread2.cfm?forum=23&threadid=184472&messages=41&CATEGORY=9

There's another one I didn't post here on one of these threads. There are also more than a few stories of others recounting their stories of not recovering full use of their eye. There is also mention of the guy who was killed when tip entered his eye. The guy in the second pic I posted was told the only thing that may have saved his eye was he was wearing glasses and they deflected the tip just enough.

I think it's a good idea for a youth group presentation. When I saw these pics I thought about all the new archers I see coming to this site that just went out and got a bow and could put their eyes in danger. -Steve

1 - 20 of 32 Posts