Archery Talk Forum banner

Cell Cameras

947 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  johnnydh
Thoughts on cell cameras? I’ve been seeing a lot lately about the use of cell cameras being unethical. I would like to hear others thoughts.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
705 Posts
Love them. Get instant feedback and can pattern much easier and go back and look at the historic information much easier as well. It lets me stay out of my hunting areas and keep them pristine. Unethical? I don't consider them unethical but I I GUESS they could be setup in a way along travel corridors to really give yourself a heads up. But it's amazing when I hunt a spot how many of the deer that I know were there aren't on camera whether they skirted it just right or walked around it... it's not as cut and dry as it seems.

Reactions: Got Em

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love them. Get instant feedback and can pattern much easier and go back and look at the historic information much easier as well. It lets me stay out of my hunting areas and keep them pristine. Unethical? I don't consider them unethical but I I GUESS they could be setup in a way along travel corridors to really give yourself a heads up. But it's amazing when I hunt a spot how many of the deer that I know were there aren't on camera whether they skirted it just right or walked around it... it's not as cut and dry as it seems.
I agree. Very helpful in helping to stay out of a spot and leave it unpressured until the deer are active. I really love that I can hike into some of my spots that are a mile or two in, set the camera in the summer and then not have to make the trek back during the season To check cards.

· Registered
895 Posts
Agree.

I have seen a post where a guy saw a buck feeding in his field. Snuck out and shot it with a rifle.

That’s not the way I would do it, but whatever.

I think there’s a big difference between that versus patterning and hunting the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
3,954 Posts
Ethical? Depends on the use. Lots of things can be unethical if used that way. But how do you police it without outright banning them. I don’t think they should be banned. That said, I don’t hunt areas that would benefit the use of them. Either I’m in “no signal” areas, or I’m on public. Public around here means it will get stolen if left on it.
Pa has laws in using 2 way radios to alert other hunters about game movement. This in my opinion with using cell cameras during season in an area you are directly hunting, gets close to the same effect as sing 2 way radios. However, it would be nice to be able to download the images outside of hunting hours.

· Registered
925 Posts
I live in NC and have leases in KY and OH up there they definitely help me when I cannot be there but it’s taking a lot of the “surprise factor” out of hunting I will say that it can be a very very good asset but it can be a mood killer also and maybe help you miss out on that one opportunity of that buck coming through in daylight

· Registered
30,591 Posts
So it is "ethical" to buy a UTV and drive to your elevated box blind with a Buddy heater and sliding windows....then toss a dead deer in the back and drive out.....but not if you use a cell cam? It is "ethical" to use Scent Lok and ozone generators on stand.....but not if you use a cell cam? It is "ethical" to toss out corn or other attractants on the ground to entice game within bow range in places where it is legal.....but not if you use a cell cam? Even in AZ.....it is "ethical" to hunt over a waterhole in an extremely arid climate.....but not if you use a cell cam? Hopefully it becomes clear that "ethical" and "fair chase" are determined by the beholder.....

I've been playing with trail cams for the past 5 years of a 45 year bowhunting learning experience. Christmas '20 my wife bought me a Tactacam Reveal first gen cell cam, which our son helped me set up and then placed at the NW corner of our home property this summer. It has been enjoyable to get "real time" photos.....the vast majority under cover of darkness .....but during season I switched it to 12 hour intervals so it wouldn't buzz my phone when I was out in the woods....elsewhere. Once the crops come down in early fall on the adjoining properties, deer activity has been only at night. However I have gotten photos of a fox, coyote, rabbit, pheasants, geese, random birds and an assortment of deer.....as our two trees on that corner become a "pickup bar" during the rut....rubs and an active scrapes.

If they banned cell cams, it would simply mean I would have to walk out and check the SD cards again.....as I do on our property up north where I have 4 "standard" trail cams in operation year around. Any perceived issues boil down to one of intent.....if a person wants to cut corners, they can find a way. If they feel good about killing game in a manner that most deem as "shady", that is on their conscience. I honestly wonder how many big bucks we have seen photos of on this site were killed in a fair chase manner.....without bait in a non-baiting area.....during legal daylight hours without pushing the limits with a sight light or whatever? I know a fellow who was somewhat legendary in our state bowhunting organization who some knew to be a big cheater to have annual success.....long before cell cams came on the scene. If "haters gonna hate".....then "cheaters gonna cheat"....regardless of the technology being misued. :unsure:

· Registered
6,275 Posts
States can do what ever they Want! Just Like Michigan Does opening Antlerless permits across the state How is That GOOD Deer Management when it was by DMU the number was set to keep deer numbers in Check! So what AZ and UT are doing is their way to manage their Wildlife and each State has their IDEA! As for back to Cell Cam's I know a few that Followed the Brand's instruction on how to Buy a Cell Cam knowing what Cell Service Provider and learned the hard way that AT&T was the wrong provide and vice versa going with Verizon and getting stuck with a useless CAM! Like Bushnell tells you to look t a Providers Coverage Map and use that yet also tells you not to use your Cell Phone to know what Kind of Signal you Might have? That is counter to what you would Think...I install Cell Communicators for Alarm System as landlines are getting to high Cost. And there is no good way to know what Carrier is best for a Metro Detroit Location as some work and some do not (AT&T / Verizon) then add into that What You are paying for DATA, is your Plan Unlimited or? That adds to your cost. Some have plans that you get stuck with while others you cn stop and start as you want. So You need to know what Carrier has The Signal where you plan on setting up a Cell Cam. As having good Signal is important So Look into what cell cam plans are as to Data and cost as each seems to vary as to cost and how many cams could be linked together or not on the Cell Provider. So have limitations as well like video. A friend started with AT&T and Now only has Verizon and his preferred Cam is a Spartan.
Hope you find the Best One for You!
LFM

· Registered
411 Posts
Some states don't allow you to use electronic devices to give you an instant advantage, I think that would cover the unethical advantage that a cell cam would give you. Similar to not being able to hunt in certain areas within a certain time period after you fly into/over them.

LFM, if you are concerned about what cell carrier has the best coverage in your area you may want to look into the Spartan M model camera, it will work on whichever cell signal is the strongest in your area. It also uses the same SIM card, no switching back and forth.

· Registered
6,275 Posts
Some states don't allow you to use electronic devices to give you an instant advantage, I think that would cover the unethical advantage that a cell cam would give you. Similar to not being able to hunt in certain areas within a certain time period after you fly into/over them.

LFM, if you are concerned about what cell carrier has the best coverage in your area you may want to look into the Spartan M model camera, it will work on whichever cell signal is the strongest in your area. It also uses the same SIM card, no switching back and forth.
Okay but at a High Cost than Others like the Reveal, Cellucore and others the $ is part of maybe why I have Not tried any Cell Camera Yet. And Being Not All Things App's another as some mentioned in other threads each and every App is Different I use a few at work that have issues even for a large corporation and wait a few years LTE won't be the current Tech so You will have to Change What Cell Cam you are Using as some have had to from 2g / 3g now "LTE" seen it happen and no one wants to buy yet another Cell Camera so you are stuck.
But Thanks I know that tech will soon Change Again these Days It just how Tech Works like Windows 10 now Windows11, Too Much Change at least for me and it Costs $. Guess I will Stick with My Cams that can use a larger SD Card and Just not Check them as often as some cell cams are limited to a 32 GB Card and when you want to see the videos on your Cell Cam you have to visit where that Cam is anyway... I appreciate that some don't have a limited Budget but I also dislike paying a month or annual fee for a service it adds up long term. guess I am just Cheap...

I also Find It Funny that this was in another Section as Many Game Camera Threads are and yet they Moved it to a Section that rarely Gets Much Attention. Just Like How the "Reveal" gets a Sticky and Yet To Other Game Cameras have! When there are Many Other Trail / Game Cameras mentioned on AT? Appears Reveal is a Sponsor or gets Free Marketing here!
LFM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.