Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been answering a few questions in another thread and figured I would start this one as not to hijack their thread.

My specs are:
60# DW
30” DL
18# HW achieves by using a 29.5” mod
Centergy x1 39

Here are my initial thoughts and observations:

1. As always, the build quality is very good.
2. Not sure what the mass weight of the bow is (bare) but it feels lighter than the STX. Stands to reason as there is less material as it’s not a shoot through riser. I like that as it allows me to put the weight where I want it (on the stabilizers)
3. The draw cycle is a bit harder than the STX. Not in a bad way....just geared more towards a target set up.
4. Holding weight is definitely up from the STX. With the DL in spec it’s 21# HW (35%). With it half inch shorter it’s coming in at 18# (30%)
5. I haven’t put it through the chrony yet but appears to be faster than the STX despite the spec sheets indicating IBO is slower than the STX. This is my target rig so I haven’t bothered to check yet but I will try to remember this weekend and report back to you.
6. The grip....it’s fantastic. It’s very reminiscent of the brand I was shooting prior to Prime. I struggled transitioning from my old brand to the STX as the geometry was very different. Lucky for me this one is very much like my old brand. The hand sinks in the pocket and is very repeatable.
The grip is rounded on the top part (up by the webbing between the thumb and index finger). It’s still radiused as you get lower into the palm but not as much as the top.
I understand the grip is a personal preference but this one is a winner in my books.
7. I also struggled with the shelf on the STX. My knuckle always seemed to make contact with the bottom of the shelf and inducing torque. With this new design it’s no longer an issue
8. The vibration is greatly reduced compared to the STX (even without the limb dampeners that I put on the STX
9. Weight distribution on the STX was 3.5:1 (with 36” front and 15” rear). The X1 seems to prefer a more weight forward set up. Right now I am closer to a 1.9:1
10. Tunes super easy. Just took a few twists of the cable to get the bareshaft to match the fletched arrow at short distance. Shot it at 20 yards and it hits within the 10 ring and the entry point is true to fletched.
11. Center shot was right at ⅞”
12. Nocking point was middle of the shaft through middle of the Berger. It happens to be 2” above the middle of the string or 0.85” above the shelf (just like the manual states).
13. Pretty narrow valley relative to the B can I was shooting in the STX
14. Strings are fantastic quality. So much so I didn’t bother to order customs.
15. Shooting off the cable stops currently.
16. It settles very quickly. There seems to be some method to their madness. The sight picture is much calmer for me than the STX. I suspect in large part (for me) is due to the grip.
I managed to shoot my average scores the first day I shot it.
17. It’s nowhere near as spine sensitive as it’s predecessor. I had to shoot two spines weaker than optimum with the STX in order to get them to group nicely.
With the X1 I tested alluminum at 29.25” (200 grain and 2314 spine) and 31” carbons (200 grains and 400 spine). The POI was within 3 or 4 click of windage.

All in all I am very happy with it. So much so I have a second on the way to replace my STX
I will say this though....expect a change in draw cycle from the STX. I shot the B Cam on the STX and found it to be pretty smooth. These may catch a few people off guard with the narrow valley.

Let me know if I can answer some questions. I will try to report back with some speed numbers this weekend.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How do you think this bow would do for 3d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will use it for 3D. It’s a very stable platform.
I have two of these. One set up for target (23 series arrows and 15# holding weight) and the other will be for 3D (smaller, lighter arrow and 18# holding weight to get that little bit extra speed).

I’ve never been a speed freak. I would rather have a bow at 290 FPS but holds like a rock than a 310 FPS that causes me to “spray and pray”.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that IF you are stuck on line cutter arrows it will slow down considerably. I did the math and with and NVX23 I would end up at 270 FPS. If I bumped the DW up to 65# it would be around 282.

All this said I would take a well placed arrow over the extra 20 FPS

·
Registered
894 Posts
I will use it for 3D. It’s a very stable platform.
I have two of these. One set up for target (23 series arrows and 15# holding weight) and the other will be for 3D (smaller, lighter arrow and 18# holding weight to get that little bit extra speed).

I’ve never been a speed freak. I would rather have a bow at 290 FPS but holds like a rock than a 310 FPS that causes me to “spray and pray”.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that IF you are stuck on line cutter arrows it will slow down considerably. I did the math and with and NVX23 I would end up at 270 FPS. If I bumped the DW up to 65# it would be around 282.

All this said I would take a well placed arrow over the extra 20 FPS
Great! Thank you! I think I’m gonna place my order for the recon grey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Extreme Opinionated One
45,670 Posts
Mine is fairly hand shocky and tends to break things attached to it. Like so far it has broken a scope fiber and broke loose the tube on bee stinger stabilizer and loosened the string suppressor twice. They need to ship this bow with a bottle of two part epoxy and some loctite. LOL

Other than that it's a great bow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts