Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I purchased Muzzy BH's a couple weeks ago, and I am having difficulty trying to get them to fly almost like my field points. My BH's are always flying low and to the left. So after talking to some family and friends they seemed to have no troubles after switching to mechanical BH's. What mechanical broadheads do you all use?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The reason the broadheads were flying low and left is not because of the broadheads, it's because of the bow. Fixed blades catch more air and want to steer the broadhead, which makes them less forgiving. A mechanical doesn't catch much air so it's more forgiving, lots of times this is more of a band aid fix.

If you want to shoot a fixed blade it's doesn't take a lot of work or time to get them flying with field points, and once you do, your bow will shoot better as a result. You'll probably notice your fieldpoint groups shrink as well. Even if you decide on the mechanicals I would still recommend trying to tune your bow to the muzzys, it's only going to help you and your bow in the long run.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
rage's do fly the same as field points but are not for everyone..heres a couple other ideas first keep the muzzy's and get your bow tuned...or if your broadheads are hitting consistant low and to the left you can always move your sights for broadheads and move them back after season for field-points just a thought.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The reason the broadheads were flying low and left is not because of the broadheads, it's because of the bow. Fixed blades catch more air and want to steer the broadhead, which makes them less forgiving. A mechanical doesn't catch much air so it's more forgiving, lots of times this is more of a band aid fix.

If you want to shoot a fixed blade it's doesn't take a lot of work or time to get them flying with field points, and once you do, your bow will shoot better as a result. You'll probably notice your fieldpoint groups shrink as well. Even if you decide on the mechanicals I would still recommend trying to tune your bow to the muzzys, it's only going to help you and your bow in the long run.
x∞!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

So what kind of tuning am I going to do? Very new to Bows.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
So what kind of tuning am I going to do? Very new to Bows.
If your very new to bows I would recommend going to your local pro shop and having them set you bow up for you (if you haven't already), they will get your bow in a good starting position. Then you can paper tune if you want, this helps because you when you get to broadhead tuning you wont have to make many adjustments if any.

There are tons of threads on broadhead tuning, but this is really all you need to know...

Don't touch your sight until your broadheads are hitting with your fieldpoints, all adjustment are going to be made with the rest if you don't have a bow press. (if you have a bow press we can make the adjustments with the yokes and/or control cable)

broadhead missing above fiedlpoints=move rest down or nocking point up
broadhead missing below fieldpoints=move rest up or nocking point down
broadhead left of fieldpoints=move rest to the left
broadhead right of fieldpoint=move rest to the right

In your case rest needs to be moved up first, shoot some arrows and see what happens, if still hitting left, move your rest left.

Fix the up/down miss first and then the left/right miss. Once your broadheads are hitting with your fieldpoint adjust your sight to bring them back on target. That's it, really pretty simple, good luck!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I like to use a block target that I've painted a line across the center. I start by putting the line vertical and then shoot at 20,30,40, ect to make sure rest is set left/right. After rest is moved, adjust sights to bring you back to center. Once arrows are in line at all distances, turn the block so the line is horizontal. If BH's are low, adjust nock point/rest to bring them together with FP's. Once that's done, sight in bow.

·
Registered
494 Posts
If your very new to bows I would recommend going to your local pro shop and having them set you bow up for you (if you haven't already), they will get your bow in a good starting position. Then you can paper tune if you want, this helps because you when you get to broadhead tuning you wont have to make many adjustments if any.

There are tons of threads on broadhead tuning, but this is really all you need to know...

Don't touch your sight until your broadheads are hitting with your fieldpoints, all adjustment are going to be made with the rest if you don't have a bow press. (if you have a bow press we can make the adjustments with the yokes and/or control cable)

broadhead missing above fiedlpoints=move rest down or nocking point up
broadhead missing below fieldpoints=move rest up or nocking point down
broadhead left of fieldpoints=move rest to the left
broadhead right of fieldpoint=move rest to the right

In your case rest needs to be moved up first, shoot some arrows and see what happens, if still hitting left, move your rest left.

Fix the up/down miss first and then the left/right miss. Once your broadheads are hitting with your fieldpoint adjust your sight to bring them back on target. That's it, really pretty simple, good luck!
If missing left you want to move rest to right if im not mistaken. And if missing right move rest left.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
A little broadhead tuning and you'll be good to go. Just do a search for it and you'll find tons of info.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
If missing left you want to move rest to right if im not mistaken. And if missing right move rest left.
One would think, but it's actually the opposite, I know it seems backwards but it's not.

Think of it like your paper tuning, nock left tear=broadhead right, fix a left tear by moving rest to the right. Nock right tear=broadhead left, fix a right tear by moving rest to the left.

·
Registered
494 Posts
One would think, but it's actually the opposite, I know it seems backwards but it's not.

Think of it like your paper tuning, nock left tear=broadhead right, fix a left tear by moving rest to the right. Nock right tear=broadhead left, fix a right tear by moving rest to the left.
I know its backwards for the site. Hit left move left. Hit right move right. I just never thought of the rest as the same way. Better get out there and tune mine up a bit... :embara:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I know its backwards for the site. Hit left move left. Hit right move right. I just never thought of the rest as the same way. Better get out there and tune mine up a bit... :embara:
Not talking about the sight.

Paper tuning is making rest adjustments (or yoke adjustments), if I have a nock left tear I think everyone can agree that I would move my rest to the right. How does a nock left tear translate to broadhead or bareshaft flight? It will cause them to miss right of field points, so to fix a left tear I move my rest to the right, and to fix a broadhead or bareshaft hitting right I would also move my rest right. They are created by the same problem (assuming we're not using a plunger button) which is an arrow flying tail left.

If I were to fix a left tear by moving my rest right...and a broadhead hitting right of fieldpoints by moving my rest left, then I would be moving the rest in two different directions for the same problem.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not talking about the sight.

Paper tuning is making rest adjustments (or yoke adjustments), if I have a nock left tear I think everyone can agree that I would move my rest to the right. How does a nock left tear translate to broadhead or bareshaft flight? It will cause them to miss right of field points, so to fix a left tear I move my rest to the right, and to fix a broadhead or bareshaft hitting right I would also move my rest right. They are created by the same problem (assuming we're not using a plunger button) which is an arrow flying tail left.

If I were to fix a left tear by moving my rest right...and a broadhead hitting right of fieldpoints by moving my rest left, then I would be moving the rest in two different directions for the same problem.
:thumbs_up Good input!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all for the help. Being a bowhunter can be a lot of work! So many things can go wrong or change!

·
Vendor
25,748 Posts
Search here for broad head tuning. There are some good instructive posts
If you don't have the time or knowledge to tune the bow you are in with probably 75% of bow hunters. Go get some Grim Reaper 1 3/8" razor tip. They fly better than a Muzzy and make an exit hole twice the size of a muzzy.

·
Strictly Public Land
12,307 Posts
rage's do fly the same as field points but are not for everyone..heres a couple other ideas first keep the muzzy's and get your bow tuned...or if your broadheads are hitting consistant low and to the left you can always move your sights for broadheads and move them back after season for field-points just a thought.
Lazyness. Thats all that is... Learn to broadhead tune. It doesnt matter if your shooting a mechanical or a fixed blade if your bow is not properly they will not fly with field point.

·
Bonehunter
8,860 Posts
Lazyness. Thats all that is... Learn to broadhead tune. It doesnt matter if your shooting a mechanical or a fixed blade if your bow is not properly they will not fly with field point.
I agree, a bow should be tuned no matter what type of broadhead you use. Perfect arrow flight is a thing of beauty, your groups shrink and you gain down range speed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts