Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new prevail 40 with X3 cams. Can I change to SVX cams with out doing any other modifications other than making sure I have the right cam for my draw length? Will this change my draw wt.?
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Cams, strings and draw weight may change, not 100% sure on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback. Does anyone know if there is a online specification chart available from Hoyt?

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
You need to find a prevail deflection chart. Good luck, I've yet to find one myself.
You could base it off a Podium deflection chart, gtx are similar to x3, svx to spiral pro.
As said, loss of weight, new cams and strings are what is needed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just curious why you guys are going x3 to svt. This is my first target bow and I'm used to shooting hunting bows with 85% letoff.

I'm struggling a little bit with the higher holding weight. I'm not sure if it would be better to switch to the x3 cams to make it feel more like my hunting bow with higher letoff. Or, stick with the svt since in might be better in the long run to have the higher holding weight better counteract the stabilizer weight.

I've only just got the Prevail and don't have a lot of string time on it yet. It's kind of funny that I can out shoot myself with my 32" hunting bow compared to this target rig with all the stabilizers. I guess it goes to show you that while stuff like longer ATA is beneficial to accuracy, it doesn't make up for bad technique. A crappy shot is a crappy shot.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Just curious why you guys are going x3 to svt. This is my first target bow and I'm used to shooting hunting bows with 85% letoff.

I'm struggling a little bit with the higher holding weight. I'm not sure if it would be better to switch to the x3 cams to make it feel more like my hunting bow with higher letoff. Or, stick with the svt since in might be better in the long run to have the higher holding weight better counteract the stabilizer weight.

I've only just got the Prevail and don't have a lot of string time on it yet. It's kind of funny that I can out shoot myself with my 32" hunting bow compared to this target rig with all the stabilizers. I guess it goes to show you that while stuff like longer ATA is beneficial to accuracy, it doesn't make up for bad technique. A crappy shot is a crappy shot.
Used to be the same way... and I had to settle into my Podium with Spiral Pro at 65% letoff compared to the Elites I shot with 80% or more.
Less letoff and short valleys will make you a better shooter, here's how.
You'll concentrate on pulling through the shot and not get lazy or creep forward, otherwise it'll take off on you.
Said it a bunch before, shooting spiral pros made me a better shooter. Concentrate on a repeatable shot execution.

You have two different bows, one is tried and true the other is new. You have muscle memory built up for a hunting bow.
Some people can switch between and do fine. I use one bow for everything, excluding hunting. Same bow for 3d, indoor and outdoor and spots.

I like the draw cycle of the X3 over the SVX cam, which I've read is similar to the Spiral Pros.
Smooth.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
Used to be the same way... and I had to settle into my Podium with Spiral Pro at 65% letoff compared to the Elites I shot with 80% or more.
Less letoff and short valleys will make you a better shooter, here's how.
You'll concentrate on pulling through the shot and not get lazy or creep forward, otherwise it'll take off on you.
Said it a bunch before, shooting spiral pros made me a better shooter. Concentrate on a repeatable shot execution.

You have two different bows, one is tried and true the other is new. You have muscle memory built up for a hunting bow.
Some people can switch between and do fine. I use one bow for everything, excluding hunting. Same bow for 3d, indoor and outdoor and spots.

I like the draw cycle of the X3 over the SVX cam, which I've read is similar to the Spiral Pros.
Smooth.
I agree with this. I shoot 75% let off on my hunting bow and 65% on my target bow. You just have to get used to it. And don’t try to max the weight out. Run the bow at 55 or 52lbs. It’s not gonna increase the score because the bow will be sighted in for whatever yardage. For 3D speed is more crucial than indoor or maybe better to have more speed for the field shoots.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm used to shooting an Elite Option 6 at 70lbs which is pretty stiff. So, the draw cycle on the svt seems smooth enough to me. It's the holding weight so far that's throwing me for a loop. But, given what you say, I'll stick with it. If the svt cams "teach" me some better technique then maybe it will transfer back to the hunting bow.

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
You can adjust the holding weight some, can get different stops I am pretty sure and adjust it a little.
It’s made me a better shot on the bad shots and the good shots are real good.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The total mass weight on a target setup is usually higher than a hunting bow. That lesser let-off of 65% on the SVX helps hold that heavier bow up. The high let-off of the hunting bows helps when you sometimes have to sit there at full draw waiting for that perfect shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts