Archery Talk Forum banner

Changing Draw Length

423 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Huntinsker
Hey All,

Compared to someone of you, I might be considered "new" to archery, so hear me out and let me know if I'm crazy. I bought my first bow in 2017, which I still shoot today. My local archery shop measured my draw length at 29.5. To give you an idea of my build, I am nearly 6' 3" with long arms. I am shooting a Hoyt PowerMax, which has a max draw length of 29.5. I've always felt like I should have a longer draw length and last year shot a Mathews VXR 31.5 at 30.5 draw length and it felt great. I've always felt like I've had to bury my face into my string to see through my peep and having a longer draw would allow me to have my head straight up. I felt more comfortable, and felt more stable, and I'm guessing improved accuracy would be a result as well. With all this being said, my questions are:

1. Has anyone adjusted their draw length to be longer? If so, what were your experiences, both good and bad.
2. Should I even be considering messing with my draw length?
3. Any tall guys like me that prefer to shoot shorter axle to axle bows, care to chime in?

Thanks!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
As far as your head being down to see through the peep. Yes making draw length longer will bring peep up . But that may not be what you need. You want string to be at corner of your mouth, with nose just touching the string, and arrow nock end should be in line with corner of your eye( or close). What you should start with , is get about 5 yards from a target high enough that with bow arm perfectly straight out , arrow will hit target center. Now draw bow with your eyes closed. Come to full draw, head perfectly straight up, and when you get settled, open your eyes. Don’t move anything. When you open your eyes you should be looking through peep , and peep and scope should be perfectly aligned. If nose is touching string, string at corner of your mouth, but peep is low, that means you need to just raise your peep higher, NOT lengthen your draw length.

· Registered
30,632 Posts
Nock an arrow in front of a pretty good sized backstop and close your eyes as you draw. Just feel your head position without thinking about aligning a peep. Does your anchor feel typical? Is your bow arm bent at the elbow to allow you to reach anchor? Is the string touching the tip of your nose without tipping your head forward? Is your draw arm elbow pointed directly behind you or is it short of that because your current bow DL is limiting full extension?

Without getting your finger or thumb anywhere near the trigger, open your eyes and note the current position of the peep. Are you seeing naturally through the peep...is it high or low? This should give you a good incidation of the bow's fit for your present form. Do you have a draw board or access to one to confirm where your bow is set?

Adding twists to the cables or untwisting the string will increase DL, along with subsequently increasing poundage. Nothing on a bow system is done in a vacuum.,,,,every change effects the entire setup. Be sure to check cam sync/timing after making any changes as that also effects tune.

· Registered
303 Posts
I am 6’ 3” and have a 31” draw length. With long arms you should probably be in that range give or take a 1/2” depending on bow, anchor point, release style, D loop length. Twisting cables and untwisting strings will get a 1/2” or so. extend your d loop some you could get a inch or more and see how that feels. Alaska has good information to help you determine your Draw length.

· Registered
21,466 Posts
Lengthening your DL will not bring your peep up. The string angle will become more acute and the peep will actually go lower. It'll get closer to your eye but you'll have to raise your anchor to get the peep up to the same level. With a short ATA bow, you'll always have to tip your head into the string to see through the peep unless you really raise your anchor up high. That's the problem with child sized bows in the hands of full grown people.

For reference, I have a 29.75" DL and don't own a bow under 35" long because I don't like having to move my anchor to not have to tip my head.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.