Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to change the draw length on my Martin Cheetah. I have the modules for it. The thing I want to know is, can I change it myself by just unscrewing the modules, or do I need to put it on a press, or what? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, how many complete turns do I need to back it off? Also, how many turns will the bow allow me?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I just noticed that my limb is in the way of removing one of the screws. How do I go about this?

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
You most likely have the MPro cam which has two screws holding the module in place. Yes, you can change this yourself. A bowpress usually is not necessary. Just remove the screws and then the module. Replace in the reverse order.

If you are unlucky enough to have one of the screws hiding behind the limb you can do one of a couple things. Press the bow so you ca rotate the cam. Or just squeeze the cable toward the riser to do the same thing. If you're strong enough you can just hold it there while you remove the screw.

This sometimes tries to eat a slot in my hand so I'll use a zip-tie to hold the cable while I change the mod. When done I just squeeze the cable while I carefully cut the zip-tie.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seeing that I don't have a press at the house, I can't use it to help me. I can push on the cables, and it does nothing to help me rotate the cam. The only way I can get to the screw is buy going in full draw, which the manual says not too. So....

·
Premium Member
5,745 Posts
The module can be changed without need of a press. If the two screws holding the mod in place are not behind the limb it is simply a matter of unscrewing them, and swapping out the mod. If one, or both, screws are hidden by the limb, you will need to either relax the limbs such that you can rotate the cam a little by hand and remove the screws. From the fully seated position (limb bolts tightened all the way down) it will take about 12 full turns on each limb bolt to relax the bow completely. At this point you could actually take the bow completely apart.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Seeing that I don't have a press at the house, I can't use it to help me. I can push on the cables, and it does nothing to help me rotate the cam. The only way I can get to the screw is buy going in full draw, which the manual says not too. So....
Yeah, you don't want to do it at full draw. Things could get mighty ugly. When I aid sqeeze the cables I didn't mean at the cable rod. Try squeezing it close to the bottom limb pocket. Get it as close to the riser as possible.

If this doesn't work then do as some others have suggested and turn the limb bolts out as much as necessary (evenly) or turn them out about 5 turns and try the squeeze again.

For the future, if ou plan on doing your own work on the bow(s) you might consider a portable bow press like the BowMaster.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you back out the limbs until the cables come loose, you can slide the cables off of the cams and then rotate the cam around until the screw is accessable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts