Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be attempting to change the strings on my bow. This is something I normally had the shop do. But since I bought a press a couple years ago & tune my own bows, I would like to do this myself.

Is it really as easy as it seems? They will be coming from a reputable builder. Basically swap them out being careful not to loose twists. When done, check to make sure ata and brace are to spec. Then shoot? Any advise?

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I've done it myself before. Other than that, I swap out one cable/string at a time rather than removing everything and starting from scratch. I recommend taking good clear pictures of how the string/cables attach to each cam just in case you have to start from scratch for some reason. You should also take measurements as to where your nocking point and peep sight are so it is easy to get them in the ballpark once you have the new string and cables on.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Take a picture with your cell phone and make sure you have the routing order correct. Try and not loose the twist that comes with your new strings. They should be close to spec. Take off only one string at a time and then replace it with you new ones. Good luck, its really not that hard, just a little intimidating to start with.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just did my first string swap yesterday. It was easy just took my time and did plenty of research before as to which string or cable to adjust for ATA and BH as well as cam lean. Found a thread on it by using the search function and printed it off. It might of been by Nuts & Bolts on here not for sure but was very explanatory and told you the order of tuning and which one to put a twist in or out to achieve ATA, BH and cam lean. Blake

·
Registered
741 Posts
Good advice from the post above, we must of all been typing at the same time.

·
Socket Man
24,344 Posts
I do them one at a time also and the place where I usually get confused is the cable slide area so pay attention there or take a picture before you start.

As far as twisting cables and string:

1. I would get to ata and brace height first, to get there I twist the cables until they are showing the same placement either within the timing marks or on the timing marks. Then twist the bow string to move the cables within the timing marks if needed. At this time check the ata and you may need to add twists or subtract twists to get close to the ata.

2. get to full draw on a draw board and make the draw stops hit at the same time and this is cam sync.

3. if you have yokes then you have the choice to get rid of cam lean which is done by putting a arrow next to the cam and seeing if it is parallel to the bow string. I prefer to do this at full draw.

4. Now check ata and brace height and sync and cam lean and make sure all of them are spot on at the same time.

5. Now you can put the bow in the draw board and see what your exact draw length really is, then twist the bow string to get it perfect.

In the end ata and brace height are not going to be perfect so don't stress out they are only ball park numbers. Cam sync and draw length are the two things that must and should be perfect.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,713 Posts
I'm going to be attempting to change the strings on my bow. This is something I normally had the shop do. But since I bought a press a couple years ago & tune my own bows, I would like to do this myself.

Is it really as easy as it seems? They will be coming from a reputable builder. Basically swap them out being careful not to loose twists. When done, check to make sure ata and brace are to spec. Then shoot? Any advise?
IF we are talking a hybrid cam bow

a) bowstring
2) buss cable
c) yoke cable

Bottom cam...routing direction.

·
(aka lug nut)
49,713 Posts

If we are talking a hybrid cam bow,

a) bowstring
b) buss cable (has two yoke legs, attached to the top axle)
c) control cable (has two end loops)

top cam routing..is pretty simple

·
XX78 User
4,955 Posts
One string at a time helped me alot.

Great info from the above posters ^^^

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Take pictures with your phone and take one cable/string off at a time and replace it with the new one. Kind of like what you would do when replacing plug wires in a car. One at a time rather than doing it from scratch. Makes it a little easier that way. Then just get everything into spec and check your cam time and sync and you will be good to go. :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Same thing for me, I just bought an EZ green, and I am putting Barnsdale limbs and a JBK string on mine. As soon as I get my new workbench built, and can mount the EZ green to it, I am changing the limbs and string.

I have a nitehawk press I have been using for 2 years for tuning, but its just too much twisting on the turnbuckle, too slow. Very portable press if you are in a pinch, but not for normal use IMO.

Any tips for changing limbs is welcome

1 - 11 of 11 Posts