Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at buying a new release currently using a Carter too simple but thinking about going to either a resistance or hinge with safety release. I am hoping it can help cure some target panic and punching the release. I would primarily be using it for Hunting from tree stand just looking for some feedback. Leaning towards the Homey 2 or an evolution +. Anyone using any of these for hunting?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
You have just stated one of the biggest fallacies around the archery industry. A tension release will NOT cure target panic. Target Panic is a mental issue. You have to get your mind right to stop it. Hinge, pull through or thumb are all shot with the same muscle motion. It's the mind that goes in odd directions.

You need to find a good, certified coach and work with them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
True fire makes the perfect realease..it cures punching by requiring smooth consistent pressure

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
167 Posts
I hunted last year with a Tru-fire 4 finger hardcore release. Setup so there was minimal travel on the thumb. Worked well for me, though i did switch to a Nock 2 it release this year. Works nicely too.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,101 Posts
Anyone hunt with thumb releases..and what is a quality one
I hunt with a Carter Simple 1 release. It's a thumb but I can shoot it using the back tension method.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I have a carter chocolate lite with a 5/8 ex okie knob. I find that if I set it so the knob is farther back in my thumb I can’t really punch it. I just curl my thumb in until it shoots

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone hunt with thumb releases..and what is a quality one
I hunted the last two seasons with a Nock 2 It but committing this year to shooting and hunting with the silverback. It's been a great month shooting with the silverback.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hunted the last two seasons with a Nock 2 It but committing this year to shooting and hunting with the silverback. It's been a great month shooting with the silverback.
I was going to buy them both and try them out because Carter and Stan are together in quality. (IMO)
By the time they finally could keep them in stock I had already bought the Perfex resistance and thumb.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I’ll be using a Honey 2 in the elk woods this fall. I’m challenged when it comes to triggers. Adrenaline flowing, I like the safety for draw and settling in. I have mine set to auto release safety when my thumb comes off it (guessing most people do this). I have a HBC and a Stan hinge, they are great for targets and 3D but with my heart pounding seconds before the moment of truth I like a safety on until my pin is where I want the arrow to go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I have a honey 2 inbound to start testing out before season starts. I will most likely hold onto the simple too but will commit to the honey 2 unless it juts does not agree with me.

·
El Cool Arrow >>---->
9,532 Posts
There is sooo much into shooting a bow that you like and same with the release. I have several bows and each feels different. My magic number is 28.5" with loop and all. Anything shorter or longer doesn't feel the same. Now a release can help that or hurt that depending on the neck length.

If all that is figured out.... You have to not only find a release that fits you, feels comfortable. I shot command style release for years and was very very good and never even realized it. Till I bought a release that was hot and tried it... Man it was liberated. I now just aim and it just fires its like walking on clouds!

I wish I would of know long ago. You hear this term subconscious firing and just aiming till it goes off but it a release has to be set to your style to accomplish this. Some people need super heavy and some like hot. I would say mine is mildly hot and when I had it cold somewhat heavy had intermittent issues.

So, no matter what release you get you have to spend the time to set it up correct to accomplish this.

What release will work for you and every one is preference for the most part! I would suggest quality as the adjustments are much better and so is the comfort!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I did the same thing for the same reason as you. I bought a Honey 2 and really liked it overall, then bout a Sweet Spot Ultra 4 and liked that one even more and shot it better. I then sold the honey and bought a Sweet Spot Pro which became my go to release.

When I started with the Honey I had it set pretty cold, one of first time shooting it my pin hit the target and I jerked like I was trying to punch it and it didn't go do to putting set cold and made me really slow down my shot process. I keep adjusting it every few times I shot and got to were I would be just focusing on aiming and it would fire like it's supposed to. When you get it just take your time learning it and don't make big adjustments right away.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I did the same thing for the same reason as you. I bought a Honey 2 and really liked it overall, then bout a Sweet Spot Ultra 4 and liked that one even more and shot it better. I then sold the honey and bought a Sweet Spot Pro which became my go to release.

When I started with the Honey I had it set pretty cold, one of first time shooting it my pin hit the target and I jerked like I was trying to punch it and it didn't go do to putting set cold and made me really slow down my shot process. I keep adjusting it every few times I shot and got to were I would be just focusing on aiming and it would fire like it's supposed to. When you get it just take your time learning it and don't make big adjustments right away.

^^^ a very good start

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been shooting the honey 2 for a few weeks and what a difference it is making. It has even helped me in shooring my Carter Too Simple and I can confidently switch between the 2. Not sure which one I will take in the would come September but my confidence has definitely improved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts