Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys after years of shooting a certain way changed your form? And for what reason, and was it easy? I'm almost certain my form isn't the best, but it works for me, so I'm not changing. I was just curious how others dealt with it. Did you change or stay with what you were doing?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Yeah i did.
I didnt really have much instuction on shooting, i just picked up my bow and shot with a few tips here and there, So i never really cought on to back tention. It took me a while to figure out what posistion my bow arm needed to be in to get the best tention.

·
Registered
303 Posts
After about 2 years of archery for my husband and 1 year of archery for me, my husband and I changed our form with lessons from our pro shop. He teaches indoor shooting. We found out that we were doing it wrong. (and we didn't know it) My husband was lucky enough to just have to change a few things, but; me on the other hand was doing everything wrong. LOL We both changed our form and our shooting got worse because we weren't use to doing it the correct way. Then after we got settled into doing it the correct way, we both got better then we ever were before. So diligence pays off. Believe me! So, the answer to your question is; no, it wasn't easy; but, it wasn't that difficult either. And yes, we have stayed with it. We both are progressing at a steady rate and we have been doing it the correct way now for about 1 year. Just wish we could find someone who coaches 3-d shooting and true competition shooting.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I said the same thing, my form was unorthodoxed, "but it works for me", so I never changed, until TP crept into the picture. I could go shoot a 292 with my hunting bow. But, I figured with TP, I my as well overhaul my form too. That was in April '03. I got some coaching, joined this site, which is great, and here is what I learned:

1) you need disicpline to stick with a
program;
2) Correct draw length is critical (i
went down 2");
3) a back tension release is a must;
4) shooting at a blank bail sometimes
for months-thousands of arrows,
without scores or tournaments is
part of the re-programing process.

So, it boils down to discipline. If you make a change, expect at least 21 days and 2-3,000 for the change to work and become part of your subconscious shot. I am not there...yet!

A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts