Archery Talk Forum banner

Characteristics of your ideal bow

1K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  Perfectionist 
#1 ·
Thought it would be interesting to find out. What type of ata, bh, cam system, any special riser characteristics, weight, ect? (Only talking about the bow, not sights, strings, other parts of your setup:)) What would you use this bow for?

#2 ·
Indoor/field: 45"+ ata, furious x sytem cams, closed shelf/ deflex riser, 8.5"+ bh, 28-30" riser, under 5lb, riser has something like hoyt tecc riser arch.

3d: 40" ata, parallel limbs, 7.5"+ bh, delfex/straight riser, hybrix cam system(alien x cam), closed shelf, long riser for stability, 4.5lb, arch in riser like hoyt

Hunting: 34" ata, 6" bh, parallel limbs, hybrix cams, open shelf, arch like hoyt

lets hear yours:darkbeer:

#4 ·
My perfect bow...

35" ATA
7.5" BH
around 4.2 or 4.3 lbs
Center Pivot design
Hoyt's cam system
Hoyt's grips (I know a lot of people hate them but I love them)
Cable slide (no freaking roller guards)
Actually a decent supressor (something like a mean v stock or STS stock)
IBO of 325 to 335ish

That would be my perfect bow for everything

Right now I think the AM 35 would be dang close to this... we'll see what next year brings. Right now I'm pretty contect with my Guardian.

#9 ·
Hunting Bow: 33-34" ata, 7.5"bh, 80% let off, 4.0 lb, 65-75# draw, single cam, adj. dl, Ross Grip, Mean V, In Velvet finish, 320-330 fps IBO, MO Tree stand camo, Black/gray B2 Bowstrings,cables.

#10 ·
What type of ata, bh, cam system, any special riser characteristics, weight, ect?
My ideal hunting bow is something with an A to A anywhere in the 30" to 35" range, simply because I've learned to love the shorter easily manuverable bows in thick brush and/or a small treestand. I prefer a brace of 7" to 7.5" and the cam system MUST be smooth, while still generating respectable arrow speed. I also prefer a rock solid back wall. I also favor a fairly balanced riser and not one thats to top heavy. The riser must also sport a comfortable thin grip. I don't like my bows riser to be heavy either, instead I prefer to have the option to add any additional weight that I may desire with stabilizers and such.

All this being said, my favorite bows out there right now are the Mathews DXT and the BowTech Admiral. Everything I could ever want in a premium bowhunting package. ;)

#17 ·
My ideal hunting bow is something with an A to A anywhere in the 30" to 35" range, simply because I've learned to love the shorter easily manuverable bows in thick brush and/or a small treestand. I prefer a brace of 7" to 7.5" and the cam system MUST be smooth, while still generating respectable arrow speed. I also prefer a rock solid back wall. I also favor a fairly balanced riser and not one thats to top heavy. The riser must also sport a comfortable thin grip. I don't like my bows riser to be heavy either, instead I prefer to have the option to add any additional weight that I may desire with stabilizers and such.
+1.. seems we look for the same things in a bow.

#12 ·
Any target bow that comes with a guarantee for the perfect score all the time

#14 ·
I like a shorter bow around 30" ata, and I shoot a lighter bow better around 3.25 pounds. I would like a brace height around 6.5" to 7", and speed to be in the 325-335 range. cams like bowtechs binarys, and a limb to riser setup like the bowtechs center pivot? I think. With a hoyt style riser.

#15 ·
10" ata bow, 10" brace height (yeah thats right its shaped like a sqaure), its called the killer cube, smoking fast and it comes in target colors.

#16 ·
if rytera made the alien x with a 35 ata and it shot at the same speed that would be my dream bow. but my alien is amazing

#21 ·
30 inch ATA with built in Gyro's at riser ends. 6 inch BH with twin string stoppers and shoot through cables with a twin cam slaved to produce 355 IBO with solar power on limb surface to power gyro's and red dot sighting. Small high energy motors in cams also solar charged add energy to draw at user defined level so 30-50 % of energy supplied by motors so bow is actually 110 lb draw but feels like 60 lb. Auto dry fire safety system where motors become mini generators and take energy out of dry fire shot.

#23 ·
Almost everything my DXT has.

Lightweight
Fast
Smoothe
Accurate
Nice Looking (Mathews is by far the best looking bow)
Comfortable
Single Cam

#29 ·
Not to argue with you, but I LOVE roller guards. That was one of the reasons I bought the DXT over the Hyperlite. I personally can tell the difference in smootheness with and without a roller guard.

#30 ·
Since you are asking for "ideal" bow characteristics, and not necessarily an already existing bow:
-Carbon riser shaped like the Hoyt Tec riser. It will not get cold in the winter, and light enough so that you can carry it for a mile without getting tired. And carbon absorbs vibration, like having a huge Limbsaver. Tec risers are the strongest by design but weigh a ton.
- Built in grommets to add mass weight to the riser for shooting spots.
- Deflex riser design to reduce torque.
- Binary Shoot through cam system. Keeps the bow balanced and makes it more forgiving, while retaining speed.
- 36" A-A. It just fits my height and stature.
- 7.25" brace height. Again, it just fits me.
- Parallel limbs. Less vibration.
- Shelf right at the geometric center between axles. Easier to tune arrow height and find the sweet spot.
- Multiple grommets for sight attachment. Not everyone has the same size face.
- 20 pounds of adjustability in draw weight, 50-70#.
- Cams able to change draw length in quarter inch increments with a single module.
- Adjustable length solid wall draw stop.
- Barnsdale limbs. Nuff said.

I would use the above described bow for anything and everything related to archery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.