Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im currently using one of those Cabelas wedges but its total garbage. Getting passthroughs :(

The Morrell Double Duty 450 FPS cube looks great and has solid reviews, but its ~$65.

What do the DIY guys do around here for indoor shooting at ~10 yards? Thanks folks.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Build on of the thirdhand target skins box targets. Just make it thick enough if your shooting close up.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Im currently using one of those Cabelas wedges but its total garbage. Getting passthroughs :(

The Morrell Double Duty 450 FPS cube looks great and has solid reviews, but its ~$65.

What do the DIY guys do around here for indoor shooting at ~10 yards? Thanks folks.
I use a Hurricane bag target... Dunhams had it for $39 last spring, plus a $10 mail in rebate...... it now has thousands of shots into it ... shot indoors at 11yds and 305 fps .. I shoot room to room with it ... I'll get another this spring.... I had a more expensive Morrell, and for me this works just as well... I also use the Hurricane out side thru the warmer months

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hurr...Vi0sNCh3yugAvEAQYASABEgIoz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
8,820 Posts
Big have you got a link? I have a gift card for Dicks too. Thanks.
I just saw them last week while in my local store. If you have one close go use your gift card. Or sign up and get deals online.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use a Hurricane bag target... Dunhams had it for $39 last spring, plus a $10 mail in rebate...... it now has thousands of shots into it ... shot indoors at 11yds and 305 fps .. I shoot room to room with it ... I'll get another this spring.... I had a more expensive Morrell, and for me this works just as well... I also use the Hurricane out side thru the warmer months

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hurr...Vi0sNCh3yugAvEAQYASABEgIoz_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
This one looks promising. What version do you shoot. 28 incher or 25?

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
This one looks promising. What version do you shoot. 28 incher or 25?
25" version .. if they had the 28" I'd have got that one ... the 25 does just fine for me... it has taken a pounding...its heavy, and stops fast arrows... ive been shooting 375-395 grs in to it at 300-305 fps..... I have a older Morrell, but its shot out, put on multiple covers thru the years, tried repacking it, didnt work.. it was never the same as when new.. it sits in the attic... I need to toss it, as I blow thru it now, no matter what I try with it.. its now junk..

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
25" version .. if they had the 28" I'd have got that one ... the 25 does just fine for me... it has taken a pounding...its heavy, and stops fast arrows... ive been shooting 375-395 grs in to it at 300-305 fps..... I have a older Morrell, but its shot out, put on multiple covers thru the years, tried repacking it, didnt work.. it was never the same as when new.. it sits in the attic... I need to toss it, as I blow thru it now, no matter what I try with it.. its now junk..
Cool thanks Meat.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
If the intent is really DIY and cheap. Get a couple of old pillow cases. Double or triple them up and cram with old clothes and plastic bags and plastic wrap. Roll the open end closed and secure with zip ties. When the front gets shot up, duct tape and start shooting at the back face, then duct tape the back and start shooting at the front again. Hang it so it can swing to lessen penetration.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Darn I was excited about this target, then saw this review :(

The target will fall apart quickly as the other reviews mentioned. Also you can't pull you're arrows out because they get wrapped around the guts of the target. Literally pulled the inserts out of 7 arrows over a few months time. Target was already split down the middle so I cut it the rest of the way and opened it up. It's stuffed with 50 different kinds of fabrics from denim to old gunny sacks. Just a bunch of random garments and fabric. They must get this garbage from the Salvation Army. I'll attach a pic of the guts. Don't buy it. Spend the extra on a block.

50362627-2738-56df-abc3-98ccbe6e2a4a.jpg

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
bag targets are cheap because they are made really cheap and they hold up as such.. if I was shooting indoors Id just shoot at a rinehart blemish block or something. I've bought a blemished rinehart 4 sided block I think the woodland hunter (brown) with the painted circles chipping for like $45-50 from lancaster Archery

·
Registered
630 Posts
That hurricane Target is nice but you can shoot through it. I just found out the hard way last night. Was shooting in my basement with the bag against the wall and wrecked 3 bloodlines cuz they just poked through and cracked where the nocks attach. I have been shooting that bag all summer though

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,731 Posts
Grab one of thirdhandman’s bag targets and stuff it with old clothing....it you’re keeping it indoors it’ll last you forever...I have one that is 5 years old and stops everything I shoot at it, even from distances as short as 15’ and out of crossbows shooting 400fps...use it as a stop in the basement and/garage when helping others out

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I know its not DIY but I love my Big Boy Targets. Same as the block without paying for the Block name.

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
Darn I was excited about this target, then saw this review :(

The target will fall apart quickly as the other reviews mentioned. Also you can't pull you're arrows out because they get wrapped around the guts of the target. Literally pulled the inserts out of 7 arrows over a few months time. Target was already split down the middle so I cut it the rest of the way and opened it up. It's stuffed with 50 different kinds of fabrics from denim to old gunny sacks. Just a bunch of random garments and fabric. They must get this garbage from the Salvation Army. I'll attach a pic of the guts. Don't buy it. Spend the extra on a block.

View attachment 6352001
That's not whats inside mine, but then again I've had mine long enough to forget how long. This past summer I re-stuffed the center with scraps of jeans and sewed the shot out center closed.
I still recommend a DIY Thirdhand skins box target for indoors. One of the best archery investment I ever made.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
For my 10 yard basement range I use farm feed mill grain sacks​ with fluffy cloth inside. They work excellent. Double them up and stuff it with old sleeping bags and fluffy clothes from Goodwill stores, packed in tight. This will run you about ten bucks​ and will last for a really long time. When a portion gets beat in then just rotate it to another quarter turn. Reorganise/fluff the insides and rotate the bags around from time to time and your golden. I use 1/2" to 3/4" dots all over the target face to shoot at; aim small, miss small.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts