Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I bought a 150lb Jaguar crossbow package, which came with cheap iron sights, and a cheap red dot sight. (I know these bow get bad rep, but I only got it for a bit of fun)

My question are:

1) Is it advisable to get a rope cocker? I've read pulling the string by hand can give erratic accuracy.
2) I'd like to get a cheap crosshair-style scope for it (20mm weaver rail). Are there any recommendations for what to get? (4x32, or perhaps an airgun one?)
3) The aluminium arrows it came with seem pretty crappy, bend like bananas real easy. Are carbons recommended, and what length/spine?

Thanks,
tbm.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
thats a nice crossbow! people hunt with it so dont think it cant get the job done.yes a rope cocker will pull the string back into the holding latch evenly. if you pull it back to cock a little more on one side than the other it will not shoot accurately.you can mark the string on each side of the shooting rail with a sharpie so you can keep an eye on it being evenly cocked back. as far as arrows go with the manufacturer suggested length but i would think carbon 18-20 inch arrows would be a good one.lotsa good deals on ebay. good luk with it!

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
Good advice from Gemsbok. Also, you could use an airgun scope, or you could get an adapter to convert the scope rail to use more conventional rings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

For the scope, the common on that comes up when Googling 'crossbow scope' seems to be 4x32. Was just going to get a cheap scope from China, but wanted to avoid the real crappy ones. (like the ones that come with laser sights for $10!)

From using the bow so far, it didn't seem very accurate or consistent. This is probably partly down to the un-even string position when cocking by hand, plus the thin aluminium bolts that came with it (bent shafts, and vanes not straight due to going through target boss). The trigger mech doesn't seem that great either.

So I think a rope cocking aid, plus some decent carbon bolts may improve things - plus a decent-ish scope.

As I said, it is only for a bit of fun (target shooting, no hunting) so didn't want to spend hundreds on one.

Cheers,
tbm.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
X2 on the rope cocker.

I've got a decent xbow scope I'll give you. Probably $8 for shipping.

X3 on arrows. Stay with the same length, 16" I believe. Use the same nock style (half moon) and I'd suggest 3" vanes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rope cocker purchased - if anything else it does make cocking the crossbow a lot easier on the arms/back.

I got a cheap 'n cheerful Chinese 4x32 scope with mounts. The scope seems ok for the money, however I can't seem to be able to mount it in the ideal position due to the slots in the Weaver rail.

I have got it to fit a combination of rail slots in the below picture, but I think the scope is a tad too far from my eye, as the sight picture is slightly clipped around the edges (unless I stick my face a bit more forward)

I might be able to file the second slot a bit wider, and get the scope to fit closer to my eye - however I'd rather not start making irreversible changes to the crossbow if I can help it.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
tbm.

Photo0342.jpg

Photo0344.jpg

·
Registered
9,411 Posts
If it were mine, I'd make a slot in the scope mount, but you could also get a set of extended rings to move the scope back. It's most important to get the scope in the right position to easily see cleearly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took a file to the rail in the end, and made a new slot so the scope would fit nearer my eye. (see first pic)

After shooting for a while, it was apparent the bolts were hitting to the right by quite a bit. After investigating I found the Weaver mount was not lined up with the bore-sight (looking down the bolt slot)

I dis-assembled the trigger mech, and opened up the rear screw hole with a file, to allow me to shift the whole mount so it was in-line with the bore-sight. (see second pic)

Was a bit of a PITA. but I guess cheap Taiwan items are never going to be precision made. After my modifications, the bolts pretty much hit where the cross hair is at close range.

I did accidentally dry fire it, but I think I got away with it - no visible damage on the prod. just some of the serving on the string end loops opened up, and the plastic prod end-caps cracked a little bit.

Is it worth painting the bare metal bits I filed, or is it an alloy that won't rust?

Photo0345.jpg

Photo0347.jpg

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
i wouldnt worry about rust. if you wanna touch it up just wipe the area with an alcohol wipe. heat it up with a hair dryer a bit and use a permanent black sharpie. a couple swipes should cover it good. less is more.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, might try the sharpie trick (not sure what heating it up would do though?)

I do have another question - the scope marking as are the below picture. What would be the best way to zero in the scope? Maybe 10 yds for the main cross-hair, then I guess 10 yrd increments for each horizontal line underneath?

Thanks,
tbm.

View attachment 6524797

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never mind, found some instructions on how to use this reticle (P4 apparently)

Seems the lines underneath the main cross are a 'choke' rangefinder estimator, based on the width of the average human!

Also some little MOA dots around the main crosshair for calculating range (if you know the size of the target)

Clever stuff, but not really relevant when on a crossbow - think I'll just use it as a basic crosshair type scope as the crossbow mount has elevation settings itself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B10afXnaj5-xckJTSWdKN2E4Mk0

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Never mind, found some instructions on how to use this reticle (P4 apparently)

Seems the lines underneath the main cross are a 'choke' rangefinder estimator, based on the width of the average human!

Also some little MOA dots around the main crosshair for calculating range (if you know the size of the target)

Clever stuff, but not really relevant when on a crossbow - think I'll just use it as a basic crosshair type scope as the crossbow mount has elevation settings itself.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B10afXnaj5-xckJTSWdKN2E4Mk0
Nice information. Thanks for sharing.
All the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts