Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
3,330 Posts
Now that is a pig.. Did u take the pics..

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Nice lookin' buck, now whats the story???

·
preparation>opportunity
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i didn't take the photos a good friend of mine did. they were taken in the valley forge park in Chester county, pa. Hopefully he makes it through the sharp shooting over the next 4 years. suppose to take out 400 deer a year over the next 4 years. buck or doe, if its in range its dead.... i understand there is a problem but why can't they just shoot deer without head gear.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Of course, that deer is living in a no hunt zone in a deer zoo. I see buck like that all the time driving on the turnpike. Thats not on public or hunted ground. That's what PA would have if they would want it, on public land too. That is a good deer and just proves that if the game commission would settle down on killing deer, doe and buck, we would see more and better deer. Thanks for the pic, that is a good one.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
yep...have seen monsters in that herd. i have tried finding shed there too but its difficult.

great buck! to bad hes not huntable

·
Registered
835 Posts
I hunt on properties around the edge of the park and we saw a buck that definitely would have been in the 170s-180s last year. I've seen a couple studs in there. I also have tried finding sheds there but its tuff. only found a a few matching sets ever there the biggest being a 130s 10 point.

·
Registered
959 Posts
i didn't take the photos a good friend of mine did. they were taken in the valley forge park in Chester county, pa. Hopefully he makes it through the sharp shooting over the next 4 years. suppose to take out 400 deer a year over the next 4 years. buck or doe, if its in range its dead.... i understand there is a problem but why can't they just shoot deer without head gear.
what pisses me off is that its going to cost something like 4 million dollars to do so!!! i know so many PA hunters would pay top dollar to hunt there in a heartbeat. have a raffle, have a marksmanship test, and kill some deer!

·
preparation>opportunity
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hunt on properties around the edge of the park and we saw a buck that definitely would have been in the 170s-180s last year. I've seen a couple studs in there. I also have tried finding sheds there but its tuff. only found a a few matching sets ever there the biggest being a 130s 10 point.
I hunt around there also, actually a good number of my friends have taken nice bucks this year. nothing crazy big like that but nice none the less. If its hard to find sheds maybe they leave the park after the end of the season?

why not open it to bowhunters on a permit basis to generate funds and take down the numbers
what pisses me off is that its going to cost something like 4 million dollars to do so!!! i know so many PA hunters would pay top dollar to hunt there in a heartbeat. have a raffle, have a marksmanship test, and kill some deer!
I agree here guys, I mean i don't want to see all the deer killed off but if you need to have the herd thinned why not allow the guys who support the deer herd in the first place have a shot(or two). I think its because its less work and liability to just higher some sniper. even though its waaayyy more expensive

I edited the images from above so you can see him better, i ment to do this before but i wasn't on my computer and didn't have the software.

Check out those BROWS!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
It doesn't matter if he makes it through the sharpshooters or traffic or not. Unless you are extremely lucky (and perhaps you are) permission to hunt anywhere near the park is difficult at best to come by. This is my favorite part of the PGC's deer policy. They count deer in places like Valley Forge in the overall deer count . . . and that is the only number they can give you. I'm still not sure why the park service is PAYING people to come shoot deer. I'll do it for free. In fact, I'd happily buy a permit.

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Wow. That's a stud! Kansas done a sharpshooter kill here at shawnee mission park and was pretty successfull. They got 313 deer in 3 days. The good part is it was all does. No bucks were taken. They opened it to archers on the 7th I think but I pretty sure its doe only. I have seen some giant bucks there too! That would be very hard not to shoot if a buck like the one in your pic came walking by!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts