Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which states do you have to check the whole deer in (ONE PIECE)?

What are good reasons for having to check it whole?

· Registered
2,754 Posts
Indiana...so you won't kill more than you're suppose to and to make sure a buck is a buck and a doe a doe. Trust me...it doesn't work. People just take the whole thing home and never check it in. The other trick is to collect tags from non hunters and use those first. They also like to report they ones they do check in as coming from an urban zone so they can kill more.

The only thing it really does is make it a pain in the butt for the honest people. If it's hot out and you hunt evenings by the time you recover your deer you have to go get some business owner out of bed.

· Registered
5,351 Posts
We have to check them in after field dressing. Yes, it is a pain when checking deer in at night. You have to find someone open!

· Registered
2,029 Posts
oklahoma you have to leave evidence of sex on....basically head....field dress and head to check station...most towns o rat least counties have one so it's not a big deal
I think it is a big deal. I hate to check in deer. It's a pain in the butt. If I shoot a deer at last light and I look for it for three hours then it's getting close to 1100 before I'm even headed to a check station. Then I have to find one, but of course it won't be open. It's a huge hassle that needs to be done away with. I believe they would get much more accurate numbers if they went to an online or phone check system. Dishonest hunters aren't checking in any deer anyway.

· # 9 # 9 # 9......
2,081 Posts
Indiana...so you won't kill more than you're suppose to and to make sure a buck is a buck and a doe a doe. Trust me...it doesn't work. People just take the whole thing home and never check it in. The other trick is to collect tags from non hunters and use those first. They also like to report they ones they do check in as coming from an urban zone so they can kill more.

The only thing it really does is make it a pain in the butt for the honest people. If it's hot out and you hunt evenings by the time you recover your deer you have to go get some business owner out of bed.
I concur with most of your comments except the last part. IN does allow you 48 hours to check your deer, so as long as you can keep the carcass cooled (ice works just fine) you should have plenty of time to check your deer.

HR

· Registered
12,838 Posts
In Michigan it isnt even mandatory to check in big game...

I wondered the if I would have troubles in NE because I took my lope in pieces in a cooler... the check station was a gas station and the lady checking didnt seem to even care... they more so use checks to keep track of trends in population...

JIM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.