Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
BuckWheat
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might be a crazy question but do any of you guys chew tobacco. If so do you all spit on the ground out of the tree or spit in a bottle while hunting?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I normally spit in a bottle that I keep in my bag. But this past Saturday, I forgot to pack it for opening day and was just spitting on the ground and I had a fawn come right by where I was spitting. Now the older does never came closer than 50 yards, so maybe they knew something was wrong but it didn't bother the youngin'.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I chew Copenhagen and spit in a bottle. I have spent on the ground before and I really don't think it bothers them anymore than the rest of my protruding odors.:eek:

·
Waiting on Fall
1,501 Posts
On the ground

I chew and have always spit on the ground.I've never seen a deer shy away from it.They have walked right by where I've spit and never gave it a smell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don't spit

Don't usually spit whether I'm hunting or not but when I was younger it didn't seem to bother them. Like many places we have a certain location designated for restroom use only and they walk through there without any concern. Maybe they're used to it, who knows.

·
Banned
84 Posts
If you are gonna spit then spit on the tree you are in up high so the scent isnt at the same level as the deer....

Best bet is to NOT spit and suck it down like sputnik says or take a small bottle in your jacket.

now if i only knew what to do about the doob I would be all set

·
Registered
127 Posts
This shall be my first season since I quit. But, when I did, I would spit on the ground. As long as I wasn't drinking anything, I didn't have much saliva to spit.

·
BuckWheat
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dip wintergreen and they say that a deer can smell wintergreen better than anything else. I have always spit on the tree or on the ground and it has never seemed to bother them. I have had them walk right up to my tree and never spook so I don't know but I might try the bottle this year.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Deer are actually attracted to tobacco so spit away as far as the deer are concerned but quit for your own good. For each can you buy you pump money into the machine that kills thousands every year, while tobacco executives laugh their way to the bank. If that's how you want to live so be it but I've watched too many good men die. My father has emphysema, my last boss had lung cancer that spread to his brain. I had to quit, not just for me but because I couldn't support that industry anymore. Sure it's hard but we're men. We get up in the morning and go to work even when we're tired. We support our families even when our desires aren't met. Now buck up and quit and don't help them kill anyone else. Sorry to get on a soap box but it's a hard subject for me. I know it's easy to feel strong and tough when you're young but as the years go by you see life as far more fragile and far more precious. I hope you stop before it gets you.

·
Banned
1,490 Posts
HuntmDown said:
Deer are actually attracted to tobacco so spit away as far as the deer are concerned but quit for your own good. For each can you buy you pump money into the machine that kills thousands every year, while tobacco executives laugh their way to the bank. If that's how you want to live so be it but I've watched too many good men die. My father has emphysema, my last boss had lung cancer that spread to his brain. I had to quit, not just for me but because I couldn't support that industry anymore. Sure it's hard but we're men. We get up in the morning and go to work even when we're tired. We support our families even when our desires aren't met. Now buck up and quit and don't help them kill anyone else. Sorry to get on a soap box but it's a hard subject for me. I know it's easy to feel strong and tough when you're young but as the years go by you see life as far more fragile and far more precious. I hope you stop before it gets you.

Thanks for the sermon. Sure seen the light. :embara: :confused:

·
Registered
173 Posts
FultonCtyHunter said:
Thanks for the sermon. Sure seen the light. :embara: :confused:
Sorry if you object. Perhaps 12:30 in the morning isn't the best time to post but just yesterday another friend of mine told me his dad is dieing of lung cancer. But OK, I'll shut up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
didn't know you could get lung cancer from dipping... I guess everyone lumps everything together.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
I spit chewing tobacco spit right on the ground. I have for years, and have killed most deer while I had a chew in my mouth. I chew loose leaf, Levi Garrett, Red Man, Southern Pride or Trophy(I'm not picky), but I quit dipping snuff over 10 yrs. ago when I had non-healing sores in my mouth that were pre-cancerous. As far as being leary about spitting on the ground, if you are chewing one of the above, no worries. I've had young deer, mature bucks, mature does, and the gammit actually walk under my stand and stop and lick the spit. And when I say "Lick the spit," I really mean it. They stop and lick up the spit until they've gotten nearly all of it. I've even on occasion spit on a couple little bucks that wouldn't leave me alone. God's Honest Truth!!! No worries here.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I am a smoker. I often wear the patch when hunting season comes along to avoid the smoke smell. The last 2 seasons I have been chewing during the hunting season. I have had does directly under my stand sniffing the ground where I was spitting Skoal Longcut Mint. It did not bother any one of them at all. They just seemed curious. In fact, I spit on one and she never spooked.:eek:But once one of them sniffed my bow rope that was hanging down and she blew and bolted. Go figure. I have not left my rope hanging down since.

·
Registered
282 Posts
last yaer i was dippin apple and still had a couple of nice bucks come right under me, and i was spittin out of the treee?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Copenhagen all the way. spit on the ground and as far as i know it doesnt affect the deer.

·
Registered
14,295 Posts
I usually swaller mine or if I spit, I spit on my boot tops.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
I use Copenhagen, I don't think it bothers the deer at all. However, I can clear a woods with one FART.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts