Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of us scouted a river Island yesterday and it was thick with deer. The only problem was that there were literally thousands of seed ticks crawling up our legs.

What are your thoughts regarding the use of insect repellant while hunting?

Scratching and typing

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
If ticks are that thick use Permanone (sp?) on your clothing I don't like using anything but I wouldn't get eat up either:)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Check your hunting equipment or bow shop. I was in a bow shop last weekend and saw insect repellant for hunters. Some came in scents like pine, earth, and oak. one brand contained 100% deet. I will definately check them out this season. I hate being eaten alive!

·
Registered
83 Posts
If it is just ticks I would look in Cabela's they have these suits called Rhino Skin. It fits tight like Under Armor but it is a little thicker and the ticks can not bite through it, but I think Mosqitos can??? Might be worth looking into if it is just ticks they have socks, long underwear, shirts, gloves and facemasks. Don't remember how much they cost though???? Might be better that Spraying down with somthing and risk gettin winded.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
I was scouting a week or so ago and got into ma bunch of seed ticks or chiggers and got bit all to hell. I look like a lepard. And the itch is awsome.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
meanv2 said:
If ticks are that thick use Permanone (sp?) on your clothing I don't like using anything but I wouldn't get eat up either:)
+1 on the Permanone. It's about $7 at walmart. Spray your clothes with it and let them dry before putting them on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was hanging stands last month here in kansas and I noticed little tiny baby ticks crawling all over me.I took my clothes off and had over 500 on me.I picked off what i could then I had to lay on the floor naked and let my wife pick them off my back with tweezers.What a pain.They were everywhere and I mean everywhere. To top it off I found a big bullseye on my back a couple weeks later.Had to take a months worth of antibiotics to clear the lymes disease.I bet I have picked well over 1000 ticks off me this year.Just a terrible year for ticks in kansas.:sad:

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
I've got ticks and chigger all over the place on my land. It's real bad if you wade through high grass and thickets.... I normally spray my legs down with deep woods OFF from the Knee to the ankle and rub it in real well. Then I pull my socks up and just let my pants hang as normal. I think this keeps alot of the nasty DEET smell out of the air, but when the little punks try to crawl up you pant legs, they are in for a SUPRISE!

I haven't gotten bit in at least 15 scouting trips by doing this.

I forgot to do it last year and got TORE UP. I mean I had like 20 chiggers in my legs and several ticks on me.:pukey: Damn chigger bites/holes take a while to heal up too! i looked like someone shot in the legs with a 20 ga. full of #8.:mad:

-ZA

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
I have had a total of 5 ticks on me my whole life. Once while I got one crawling under my sock and last year I got 4 on my head while hauling out an elk. Those guys creep the bejesus out of me. I would let the deer live in peace on their island if it was me.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Benadryl

Will stop the itching and reduce the heal time on chiggers. I usually take one at supper and 2 at bedtime. If i take them during the day they put me to sleep, but the above regimen keeps the itch down for most of the day.

·
Registered
40 Posts
mmars622 said:
got chigger bites all over my legs now, what do you do to stop the itching?:angry:
I am ate up pretty good right now myself and cortizone-10 works fairly well, and I have taken hot baths with salt (table salt was all Ihad at the time) that seems to help a good bit too. Seems to help pull the "poison" out and helps dry them up. I soaked for about 30 min. or so. Might wanna check out this thread there are some other ideas in it. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=379736

·
Registered
834 Posts
sounds kinda bad and Smells a little...but pour Clorox in the bath tub (with normal level of bath water, no soap) and soak in it for 10 minutes and it will KILL the chiggers!!...no itching..

·
Banned
2,045 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Being from the Ozarks, I can fully understand! Trying to scout this time of the year is awful there because of seed ticks! Here is what I have found to remedy the problem. As someone has already told you, REPEL, from Wal-mart camping area. The other thing is CIG-A-RID, it can be found near the anteseptic/neosporin remedies in the pharmacy area. It will form a seal and stop the itch almost immediately! When you use REPEL, make sure you spray your shoes, socks, everything and be sure and give them several hours drying time. You can litterally watch the ticks die crawling across your leggs if you are sitting down in the turkey woods! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The cure for chiggers is clear fingernail polish. I've used this for years as I always seem to get a few each year. A chigger actually attaches to you. By putting the finger nail polish on they die because they can't get oxygen. Without the polish they can itch for weeks, with it 4 to 5 days and they should be gone.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I hung some stand in MO lst weekend. I sprayed my pants down with permanone and only picked two seeders off of me. When I changed pants, around the bottom cuff there were about 50 seed ticks that were dead. I'd say the stuff works pretty good.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts