Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy I hate those nasty little things. In getting ready for the upcoming season, I forgot 1 thing,....... thats right, I forgot to spray my cloths down a couple days ahead. Now I have oh about 50 60 chiggar bites:doh: Oh well atleat the hunt was not a total bust. I did not get a shot off but I did see several deer, all within 15 yds or so of my stand. All but one was in the only place I had no shot, I had some pretty thick stuff to my left and back. The one thaat did offer a shot had spots so it got to walk. That little bugger walked right under my stand and hung around for a few min., pretty cool to watch. I also had a hawk land about 10 feet from me, that was real cool also. Man I just love it, getting out with nature.

So for all you guys that have not made it out yet ..DON'T FORGET TO SPRAY

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
That's what I Love about being out in the Woods:)

No not the chiggars;)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
get yourself a bottle of clear fingernail polish and put some over the top of each chigger bite. It smothers them and kills them off. You'll still have the little red bump for a little while.....but not as long as you would if you didn't put the nail polish over them.

Just thought I'd try to help you out a little.....if you didn't already know about the clear fingernail polish.

Greg

·
Registered
210 Posts
you can also take a hot bath with a cup of vinegar in your bath...you'll smell like a pickle but the chigger biutes wont itch as bad

·
Team 11
3,002 Posts
Chiggars don't burrow into your skin (wives tale). The red, itchy spot is a reaction to their bite, like a mosquito bite. Use calamide (or other anti-itch) lotion and try not to scratch them as best you can.

Virgil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ashx2 said:
get yourself a bottle of clear fingernail polish and put some over the top of each chigger bite. It smothers them and kills them off. You'll still have the little red bump for a little while.....but not as long as you would if you didn't put the nail polish over them.

Just thought I'd try to help you out a little.....if you didn't already know about the clear fingernail polish.

Greg
Actually I got them real bad a couple years ago and went online to learn more about them. According to several sites, once you know you have them, they have feed and fallen off of you. thier saliva continues to break down the skin and hence it taking a week or better for them to go away. What the fingernail polish does is cover the wound not allowing air to get to it, and when it does not get the air it does not react as bad and stops itching. Itching is actually pain that is concetrated into a small area, not a bad pain but very small (I believe that is what they said, getting older and the mind is.....what was I talking about).

Anouther thing I have found that works fairly well is to soak in a hot bath with some sort of salt. I used talbe salt (all I had). ut it seem to help draw out the saliva and dry it up some.

When I say I got them bad I had them bad. Was covered from my waste down and was bitten in spots a man is not suppose to be bitten:embara: . I looked on about 5 -7 different web pages to get info on them and they all pretty much said the same thing.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Meat Tenderizer

Use Meat Tenderizer with a hand lotion and it will stay on and stop the itching. that's after you get chiggers on you.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
steadyeddie said:
Use Meat Tenderizer with a hand lotion and it will stay on and stop the itching. that's after you get chiggers on you.
Meat Tenderizer? :mg: It might work, but who was the first guy to try this idea? I would stay away from the twig and giggleberries when using this method!! :wink:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tinactin!!!!

Tinactin works best to kill the itch, especially if you have them over a large area, and calamine lotion, benadryl, etc isn't practical. i got into a mess of them a while back, had hundreds of bites, Tinactin kills the itch for at least a couple of hours...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Chiggarrid

Go to the drug store and get you some Chiggarrid (not sure of the spelling). It is like clear fingernail polish but more flexable and it also hase a med. in it for the itching.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
you just remind me get my chigger box down. thank you. i have a box with everything you can think of for chiggers. some work some years and some dont. i understand have chiggers bad also i had them from my knees down cover and my wasted down mostly cover. i had to get shots just so ican sleep at night for about a week. i guy from DE told to wear nonlys women socks. it works, dont get caught dead in them. what also works is the rino skin i been wearing them for about 3 years and plus rubber boats.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am new to hunting and I am confused. I too live in Delaware and hear alot of talk about chiggers. Here's what's confusing...I hear all the talk about scent control and then I come across several posts and articles that suggest some sort of repellant. Doesn't the bug spray void out all the scent control stuff?

·
Registered
905 Posts
He is 2 cents worth

I never get chiggers ever even when in the Army training all around the U.S. and World. I just do not appeal to them. Certain people have a certain smell and that is what draws them. Actually one can see them if he looks hard enough. They are real tiny and red, and their bite and saliva or other chemical cause your immune system to react with the itch like poison ivy. My best friend in the Army attracted them all the time and he had meat tenderizer and lotion and would mix it together in a small bottle and rub it on the place where the chigger had bitten and it neutralized the itch. It is a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts