Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how to prevent or cure chiggers. I am so tired of spraying mosq. all over me to prevent chiggers. Does the mosq. repellant spook deer? Once u have chiggers what is the best way to STOP the itch?

·
Registered
329 Posts
flea and tick collar

Sounds crazy I know, but when I was stationed at Ft. Riley, KS the guys that lived in the field always swore by the flea and tick collars for dogs. they would put them on their ankles.

Pesky little turds aren't they, makes me itch just thinking about them again

·
Electified Archer
3,275 Posts
Finger nail polish over the area that itches, just on the pimply area. I like to use clear but, hey, to each their own.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Permanone your clothes before you head into the weeds. Cortizone 10 is the best stuff I've found for the itch.

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
ugg

I have found that fingernail polish does stop the itching. However, While nail polish does not smother the insect, as many believe, it does contain a drying agent that may alleviate swelling and itching for some people.

Chigarid is supposed to work best
Most people recommend antihistamines and cortisone creams to soothe the itch.

Chiggers -- The chigger is a tiny red-colored mite which in its immature stage will feed on man, rodents, birds, snakes and a wide variety of other animals. It is especially common in second growth areas, blackberry patches and forest edges. Chiggers are very active in crawling about looking for a host, and may crawl over the skin for some hours before beginning to feed. When the mouthparts are inserted into the skin, a fluid is injected that dissolves the cells upon which it feeds. The chigger does not, as commonly believed burrow into the skin. Itching can begin three to six hours after exposure. Examination of the skin may reveal minute red mites moving rapidly over the surface. A soapy bath taken as soon as their presence is noted will often remove many of them before they begin feeding.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Permanone and knee high rubber boots work pretty good, but the only way to really insure you won't get them is to stay out of the woods. Unfortunately nothings really fool proof for these annoying things.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
To prevent picking up chiggers you can put sulfphur in your socks or the top of your boots if you wear knee high rubber boots which helps the most.

You can pick up a bottle of sulphur at drug stores for a few bucks.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
They do suck, am suffering with them right now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts