Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out Tuesday evening for a late winter hunt. It was 6 degrees with a wind chill of 0. I was in a double bull ground blind nestled in a some blow downs. I was bundle up pretty good as I layered on the clothing, so I was nice and toasty thanks to the adhesive body warmers,lol had those boogers every where, but hey I was warm.
Got in the blind about 2:30, sat there all evening enjoying being out in the woods. about 5:00 I see movement about 150 yards out. there was 9 deer, One buck we call splitter and one button buck and the rest does. Splitter walks on past me ( I already killed a buck earlier in the season )and the does come in into front of me at about 15 yards( chip shot), I Wanted to shoot the lead doe as she was bigger, but could not get a shot. The second doe came in and she was decent so I settled my cross hairs right behind her shoulder. My Ten point was sitting on my Caldwell field pod, nice a steady. I took careful aim and squeezed the trigger and watching thru the scope I see the arrow hit low and slightly back. I could not believe it, I was like what the heck happened!
She runs to about 90 yards and as she is walking I see her guts hanging out of her.
She bedded down once, then about 5 min later she stands up and walks about 10 yards and lays down a gain. after another 10 min she trys to get up , she is kicking and throwing her head down on the ground. I thought for sure she is getting ready to die. At this time its pretty dark, so I snuck out of there quietly and drove home. I wanted to give her over night figure she will be dead where I last saw her.
Next day I get up to go recover her, I go to where I last saw her, she had moved a few more times but she was dead,
Her body was still warm, she must of just passed before getting to her.
After inspection, my broadhead ( Rage Hypo) just basically sliced her belly open and eveything just fell out. No internal organs were cut. Meat was good! took her to the local processing shop and she is being processed in to some snack sticks and burger, I really have no excuses as to what happenedd on the shot, I am still puzzled. It was a chip shot gone bad. Just thought I would share.
Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
That happened to me about 30 years ago with a rifle. Opened up the belly like a knife and did not touch the organs. I left and came back about an hour later. When the buck stood up he didn't move so I was able to easily finish him off.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Yep, looks like you unzipped her alright. Things happen and sometimes we never find the answer as to what it was.

If you're sure your aim was good and you didn't pull the shot, then my guess would be either the scope got knocked off, or perhaps the cold may have changed your bow tune a little. But those are just guesses. The arrow should still fly plenty accurately enough even with the cold temp.

Did you shoot your bow with a broad head to see if its still hitting where it should be?

Congrats on the kill anyway. It should still eat good.

·
Crossbow Broke
9,819 Posts
I bet everyone has had something like this happen. I had to see an animal suffer and shots gone bad make me feel sick. Much worse than missing a big one. I’m glad you found her.

·
Registered
28,188 Posts
None of us like to make questionable shots but it happens. You recovered her and thats the most important part. Congrats!!

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Yeah id have to shoot the bow with a broad head. Just to see if the shot repeated or not. If not id start looking for why. Stuff happens its happened to us all. Finding why and fixing it would be tops on my list. If you found the arrow and head might give some clues. Did a vane come off or lose. Id worry right off the bat the Broad head opened. Are the plastic tabs brittle in extreme cold.

Congrats on the doe and being smart and giving her time.

I hunted one hole Turkey season with a arrow. That i shot after season was over and i about missed the target at 30 yds. I had a QS fall off. I thought i fixed it. But i found another had fell off because of a different reason. A few weeks ago there now history. So it could have happened to me twice.

Good luck tracking down the problem.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I would about bet that you had a premature head opening. I have only had one but it made my arrow fly off course.
I have found when installing the Hypos not to screw them down as tight as a regular broadhead as it can cause a tab to partially break which might cause it to open in flight. The collar acts as a washer when tightening them down so hand tight is good.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I am unsure what happen, shot the bow 20 times that night to see if there was any problems , bow shot like it should.
Premature opeing of broadhead, maybe! found my arrow but broad head was buried in a tree, did get the arrow and no vanes ripped off.
There is one thing that I can think of that might of happen is my wife got me for x mas was a Ten Point retractable cocking rope that I used that night for the first time, maybe it being different than my other cocking ropes I cocked the string off to one side, not sure! No excuses here, the deer is recovered and at the processors, just puzzled
Thanks guys I appreciate it!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Has anyone checked to see how “brittle” the rage shock collars get in the 0 degree temperature range? They are thin plastic, so I imagine they lose some elasticity in the extreme cold. Maybe a premature opening due to a brittle shock collar? Not knocking rage - we all know they are accurate and kill quickly.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
Yeah I am unsure what happen, shot the bow 20 times that night to see if there was any problems , bow shot like it should.
Premature opeing of broadhead, maybe! found my arrow but broad head was buried in a tree, did get the arrow and no vanes ripped off.
There is one thing that I can think of that might of happen is my wife got me for x mas was a Ten Point retractable cocking rope that I used that night for the first time, maybe it being different than my other cocking ropes I cocked the string off to one side, not sure! No excuses here, the deer is recovered and at the processors, just puzzled
Thanks guys I appreciate it!
If you cannot duplicate the issue then my guess is premature blade deployment. If that be the case then it would seem logical it had something to do with the collar.

Wiz18 might have a valid point too.

·
Huntoholic
10,677 Posts
yep a sick feeling, and then relief when we make a recovery. Good Job doing it right, many would have pushed her, and that could a led to not so desirable endings. The next thing is you gotta find why, I can't say fer sure but it is a mechanical, and that will always leave questions in my mind. Tenpoint has proven to very stable in any weather condition, I wont say it couldn't be, but hey from Alaska to the Africa they been dependable. Ya scopes can

No mechanical can be 100% in it's transformation into a cutting killing position, not even the same head on multiple kills. On different angles, some open with a blade slightly opening before another, some open before they get there, some don't open at all, I have seen and heard it all over the years, and finally decided to use fixed after I experienced there 10% myself, with the fixed they always get there the same way, OPEN, and when you get a good one it always gets there where you aim it.

5 years ago I quit using mechanical because after over 20 years using one of the most reliable i have ever herd of, a Spitfire, I had a blade open on a chip shot,, I watched mine go from where I aimed to the same place yours went, low, and left, I barely cut the gut, had a few drops to follow for about 150 yards. After tracking about 1 hour to an open bottom, we spent over 2 hours in a heavily tracked section, never found another drop, or any sign, making circles covering over 1/2 a mile. I know I cut her, but I can only hope she got away and walked it off, I'll never know 100%, I didn't get the closure you did.

This was the last of the mechanical for me. Oh I went bought the dental bands, and put the bandaid's so many do on a broadhead, I knew as they do, it was lacking, and I used them fer a few weeks knowing this, relying on bandaids to make them work. But after gun season that year I went to fixed blade VPA's and never again screwed a broadhead on the end of my arrows that I would compare to the transformers my grandkids played with! Today for rely heavy setups I stoll use the VPA fixed 3 blade, but for 90% of my deer hunting needs I use slick tricks, knowing they will always fly straight, cut on contact, and have never left me down. No more helping any broadhead with bandaids, if they can't do the job or be trusted the way they come, I will use what can,,, and does!

You may have found it was something else, but if you use a mechanical, I would always wonder, was it the head, will it happen again, next time will be so lucky,, lots of guessing would be what I would be doing if I used a broadhead that worked like a toy, I aint got no use fer mechanicals, but unlike my grandkids, I don't play with transformers no more,, But hey what do I know,, I don't care for bows with training wheels either,,,, just a suborn old fart, I like old fashioned and what has worked for centuries, it still does, 100%!

Hey congrats, and now good luck figuring the cause , but this was as good a ending as one could hope for, job well finished!

·
Certified Buckoholic
5,283 Posts
Had that happen with a muzzle loader a few years back. Recovered the deer the next morning. Glad that you got the deer.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Get back to us regarding the scope being off, or on

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Glad you recovered her and all was well. Good call taking some shots with the crossbow just to make sure the POI hadn't changed for some reason. Did you shoot the Rages then, or field points? Sounds like the head opened.

·
"GO BUCKS!!!"
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you recovered her and all was well. Good call taking some shots with the crossbow just to make sure the POI hadn't changed for some reason. Did you shoot the Rages then, or field points? Sounds like the head opened.
I actually just shot the field points, shooting BEE with a 100 grain tip, they are hitting where they should, It makes alot of sense of the head prematurely opening up, when I shot I focused on where the arrow was going to hit, the arrow kind off veered of the right and low, so not really sure at this point. guessing it could be the broadhead but cant prove it.
I have a new Hawke XB1 scope and some new BEE spined indexed I am going to play around with. My season is over since I have tagged out for the year, going to play with the new scope and arrows and possibly try a fixed blade head, When I shot compounds I shot Slick Tricks. So I might give them a try. thanks for all the comments and feedback! I appreciate it.

·
Crossbow Broke
9,819 Posts
When the Rage first came out I shot them. They opened up all of the time in the quiver. I also lost a couple deer I shouldn’t have. I haven’t shot them since.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I was getting ready for the season this summer, and had heads (Wasp Jak Hammer) open unexpectedly. They were off by nearly 10" at 40 yards. Your observation about veering makes sense. Slick Tricks, Ramcats, and Magnus Black Hornets are good flying fixed heads. I'm sure there are others, but those worked for me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts