Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
i've only got muzzys and snuffers to go by but the c.o.c snuffers consistently fly thru groundhogs while chiseltipped muzzys usually make it but when they don't, you may lose an arrow. i say cut on contact

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
there is an old hunting video (maybe someone here can remember wich one or who it was by.) either way i remember very clearly in the video the host took 2 of the same arrow one tipped with a chisel tipped head and the other with a 3 blade cut on contact. he stood the arrows up on the nock and pushed a piece of deer hide down over the tip to demonstrate the penetration ease of each tip. the chisel tiped arrow took alot of force and bowed the arrow pretty hard to get the tip to penetrate the hide where the cut on contact slid right through with minimal effort this image has stuck with me for years and for that reason i am partial still to a good cut on contact head

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Cut-on-contact...

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I would think the cut on contact for faster penetration and more clean but they I would say the chisle tip for better penetration in bone. The c.o.c heads some times want to bend the tip of the blades when hitting bone. I have experienced this with all my c.o.c heads

·
Registered
998 Posts
cut on contact heads is all I will shoot. Steelforce or Magnus heads.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cut on contact for me. I saw the same video you were talking about...seems to me it may have been Uncle Ted.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have always liked the idea of the chisel tip in case you hit bone. That being said, I shoot grim reapers, which have both.

·
Banned
1,743 Posts
chisel

·
Registered
28 Posts
I shot small moose with two different broadheads. Once with a 125 gr slicktrick and once with a 100 gr stinger buzzcut. The slicktrick did not break the hide on the offside while the stinger was a complete pass through to the fletching. Neither arrow hit any bone except for the ribs. So I would say the COC would give better penetration.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Chisel/cut

I have had great performance on white tail deer with the cut on contact.

·
Registered
760 Posts
COCs will lose less energy breaking the skin and usually penetrate a little deeper. Conversely, chisel points will leave a bigger entrance hole, which often makes for an easier bloodtrail, especially on thicker skinned critters like hogs or elk. (If it passes through, the same applies for the exit hole.)

Like most things in life, it's a trade off with slight advantages for each style. I use both, and both work if the arrow hits the right spot.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I do prefer cut on contact...with that being said the only cut on contact heads I'll use are the montecs, snuffers, razorcaps, etc. Three blades to the point...anything with two blades like the new razortip grim reaper, or the xp snypers etc in my opinion are a very weak head, and I've seen them bend right over on rib hits.

·
Registered
161 Posts
the host took 2 of the same arrow one tipped with a chisel tipped head and the other with a 3 blade cut on contact. he stood the arrows up on the nock and pushed a piece of deer hide down over the tip to demonstrate the penetration ease of each tip. the chisel tiped arrow took alot of force and bowed the arrow pretty hard to get the tip to penetrate the hide where the cut on contact slid right through with minimal effort this image has stuck with me for years and for that reason i am partial still to a good cut on contact head[/QUOTE]

Well Said, that is why I use COC heads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts