Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on purchasing a GPS Unit. I've never really looked at them before so I'm not really sure of their functionality, but I'd like to find one that would allow me to do the following:

- map out property boundries, landmarks, deer trails, stands/blinds
- export that info to a computer to print out for easier viewing

any recommendations are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I use the Lowrance I finder hunt C and it does at that and so much more.I wouldn't leave home without it. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
380 Posts
garmin etrex vista....excellent with great coverage. Military uses similar model. It has hunting data, map data..and a lot more. Hard to beat

·
Got Archery?
3,030 Posts
bowjunkie2 said:
I use the Lowrance I finder hunt C and it does at that and so much more.I wouldn't leave home without it. :darkbeer:
Ditto execept mine doesn't have color. I love my ifinder Hunt

·
Registered
518 Posts
whatever model you get make sure it has an electronic compass.If not you have to walk a ways before it updates,gets to be a pain.

CB

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies all, one last question....the area that my family hunts on is just a 40 acre lot of woods....how close can the mapping get so that there is some actual separation between the waypoints and marks? or because it's such a small plot of land will it all look like a jumbled mess of dots and lines on the screen?

·
Archer helping Archers
1,328 Posts
You can zoom up pretty close to see a distiction between points. Most GPS units are acurate up to a couple feet, depending on how clear of signal you have

·
Registered
805 Posts
I prefer Garmin units myself. I had an eTrex Vista until I (literally) wore the buttons out. I now use a map76S and it's a great unit too. The thing I like about the Garmin units is that you can purchase different software that can be uploaded onto the unit. I use the topographic software to transfer maps onto my unit, then I can track my position on an actual topographic map in the field. I find the software useless otherwise as the maps are not as detailed (1:100,000) scale. I also use DeLorme 3-D TopoQuads software for marking waypoints on a topo map. I even have a ram mount for my unit and use it in my boat for marking fishing spots!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everybody for their comments,

I looked at the lowrance iFinder Hunt model today, and really like it. Now, do I have to purchase their Plus package with the MapCreate software in order to export the data to my computer and print maps or can I print a map of my data anyway, without the software? I may just not have the topo-map underneath the data, but I can live with that for now if I can't.

just dont want to buy something I dont need right away.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Gps

Just purchased a Garmin 60csx handheld model. great little unit that does just about everything including auto-routing. Base maps not great but I bought the North America and Blue Water Chart DVD and know get all the detail info I need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts