Archery Talk Forum banner

Choosing An Archery Tech

1280 Views 38 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Chance
Am I the only person who thinks that there's not a damn person on this planet who is actually a competent bow tech?

How do you know when you've found someone who knows whats what? Do you typically take your rig to smaller pro shops or bass pro?

I swear, every time I have a problem, the tech is shocked at how poorly the bow is set up. Next time the bow has a problem and I take it to a new tech, they're shocked at how poorly the bow is set up. So on and so on.

Because of this, I haven't settled on a tech I trust. I would describe my bow as very functional (softball groups at 30 yards), but I know it could be set up better.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Just thwackin' it.
7,463 Posts
This is precisely why I went through a phase where I bought all the tools and about 10 used bows from different manufactuers all with different cams within a two year span, and started to learn to do it myself. Because the only tech I trusted lived about 8 hours away. It was necessity at that point.

Now the only tech I trust is myself.

· Banned
20,998 Posts
Am I the only person who thinks that there's not a damn person on this planet who is actually a competent bow tech?

How do you know when you've found someone who knows whats what? Do you typically take your rig to smaller pro shops or bass pro?

I swear, every time I have a problem, the tech is shocked at how poorly the bow is set up. Next time the bow has a problem and I take it to a new tech, they're shocked at how poorly the bow is set up. So on and so on.

Because of this, I haven't settled on a tech I trust. I would describe my bow as very functional (softball groups at 30 yards), but I know it could be set up better.

You’re definitely not the only one...most shops are hacks.
Bass Pro, ah no.

If you’re serious about archery, learn to do the work and buy the tools you’ll need.
It’s not difficult, it’s all actually super easy.
Just need to take the time to learn.

· Registered
220 Posts
My advice is learn to do it yourself. I’m just going through the process of learning to work on my own bow. Honestly, I’m shocked at how much easier it is than I thought.
It seems like there is endless knowledge between AT and YouTube.

· Registered
522 Posts
Another vote for DIY. the old adage "if you want something done right, do it yourself" holds true with bows for sure. It's an investment both time and money, but it's something you can pass down and possibly have some people bring their bows to YOU and maybe recoup some of the $ part as well.

· Grand Master of Missing
VXR 31.5, Black Gold, QAD, Bee Stinger
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is precisely why I went through a phase where I bought all the tools and about 10 used bows from different manufactuers all with different cams within a two year span, and started to learn to do it myself. Because the only tech I trusted lived about 8 hours away. It was necessity at that point.

Now the only tech I trust is myself.
Gotta admire that level of can-do

76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another vote for DIY. the old adage "if you want something done right, do it yourself" holds true with bows for sure. It's an investment both time and money, but it's something you can pass down and possibly have some people bring their bows to YOU and maybe recoup some of the $ part as well.
Well, all of this is sort of pointing to the DIY side of things. As a musician, I'd imagine its probably not a lot different than setting up guitars. Then again, I'm not great at that either :confused:

I live about an hour and a half away from Lancaster Archery, so I'm going there today to see what's what. I've really only ever heard good things about them.

· Registered
522 Posts
Well, all of this is sort of pointing to the DIY side of things. As a musician, I'd imagine its probably not a lot different than setting up guitars. Then again, I'm not great at that either

I live about an hour and a half away from Lancaster Archery, so I'm going there today to see what's what. I've really only ever heard good things about them.
Been a musician for over 30 years myself and you are correct, it's really no different. You don't have to be great to be good. I love working on my bows, well most of the time lol. Got into building my own threads as well. Can't see doing it any other way, plus I'M CHEAP so I save a ton of money!!!!

· Registered
11,913 Posts
Buy a good press and draw board. Nobody care about your bow like you do!

76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I went to Lancaster Archery today and a dude named Wes set me up.

Holy ****.

So unbelievably patient, spent literally three hours with me making sure everything was correct, actually explained what he was doing to my bow as he was doing it, directed me to products when I asked about them but never tried to oversell me on anything, helped with fine tuning my form, really went after any issue he thought the bow might have, overall such a solid experience. I'll never go anywhere else and when I buy a new bow, I am 100% buying it from him/them. In fact, I'm planning on doing all my archery related shopping at Lancaster Archery after this experience. I'm sure I might be able to find slightly better deals online, but the in person advice and confidence within my setup is worth it.

· Registered
21,466 Posts
This won't cut it. The mods will just delete your post count and you'll be starting over. You've been here since 2010. You have to have some opinion or information about something that you can post.

· Registered
Hoyt CD34
1,781 Posts
I have a few Techs that I really trust within 2 hrs of my home Yet they exist in both small and large shops. Problem works out to be there availability especially during the heat of season. I decided I prefer to teach myself. So I picked up some equipment and started learning to do most of this DIY. That being said I still like knowing where to find a good tech if I am in a pinch.

A hundred miles from my community there is a strong JOAD program and a great archery club plus another good archery club. that community of nearly 200,000 people has reared up some really knowledgeable techs. Just need to watch as establishments tend to employ many techs some good and others not so good.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Well, I went to Lancaster Archery today and a dude named Wes set me up.

Holy ****.

So unbelievably patient, spent literally three hours with me making sure everything was correct, actually explained what he was doing to my bow as he was doing it, directed me to products when I asked about them but never tried to oversell me on anything, helped with fine tuning my form, really went after any issue he thought the bow might have, overall such a solid experience. I'll never go anywhere else and when I buy a new bow, I am 100% buying it from him/them. In fact, I'm planning on doing all my archery related shopping at Lancaster Archery after this experience. I'm sure I might be able to find slightly better deals online, but the in person advice and confidence within my setup is worth it.
I was going to say if you have the interest, time and are good at disseminating good from bad information, become your own bow tech. I do all my own work but, you live close to Lancaster Archery! I have ordered a lot of archery items from Lancaster and every chance I get pick their brains for information online or on phone if in doubt. It sounds like you have found the right place to have your work done. The only advice I may give is try to pick times when they aren't slammed with customers so you continue to get top level service.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.