Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m confused when it comes to purchasing bolts. I’ve seen it is recommended that total arrow weight be 400 grains. Is that based on a certain bow speed range? I made my first crossbow purchase for my son with the Barnett Terrain XT, rated at 330 FPS. It came with 2 20” Barnett Headhunter arrows and I’m looking to replace them and add a few more. I’ve looked at several bolt types at Local stores, but most of the boxes don’t post an arrow weight. What would be a good rule for hunting use for this bow?

·
Registered
45 Posts
From what I can find on the net the headhunters can vary as much as 8 grains total weight. They average between 300-312 grains without the 100 grain tip. Typically the Manufacturer has a MINIMUM ARROW WEIGHT that they recommend for their crossbow. To go lighter in weight can cause damage to the bow. A 400 grain total arrow weight is a good starting point for kinetic energy. Heavier will produce less speed, usually a little more kinetic energy, and many times a little heavier arrow helps with the noise. Victory advertises their arrow at 320 grains with brass insert that gives 20% FOC. Be a good place to start. Pretty good price wise also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts