Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Im in the process of choosing my first bow. Right now, i have a crappy PSE from the 90s. After doing tons of research, im even more confused than i was before. My question is: Should i buy a cheaper RTH hunt package such as the PSE Stinger X, Bear Cruizer/species, Diamond edge, etc.. OR should i buy a last years model/slightly used model such as a Hoyt Powermax, obssession turmoil, etc. i Found a few for very reasonable prices. I have a quiver, rest, sight, etc.. so, i feel like i could save a few bucks on buying come cheap package accessories that i already have. I probably sound like a total Novice and that is become i am. I just want to learn from some folks who know what theyre talking about. Thanks for reading!!

P.S. Ill be hunting with this. Deer and elk in good ole montana.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
When I got my first real bow I quickly realized I should have bought a higher end used bow. I’d recommend going with a year or two old bow that looks in good shape. Make sure strings are in tact, cams and limbs have no scratches or dings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Shootin and Cussin
22,926 Posts
One question for you.... Do you have a local bow shop or are you going to rely on your own knowledge to set the bow up and get it shooting?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are a couple bow shops i can use. Big box type guys: cabelas, sportsmans, etc. There are couple local guys i think too. I will most likely take it to one of them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would spend a little more on a used bow that may be more versatile for you in the future. I bought a 10 year old bow and couldn't be happier with it. It gives me the opportunity to learn the maintenance it needs, but it's nothing that I can't find parts for or would be scared to tackle on my own.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Not sure what weight you pull, but there's a guy in the classifieds selling Hoyt Powermax bows for like $350. They're 70lb so they could be turned down to 60. IMO great bow for the money, especially new.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
928 Posts
I got into archery last year and bought a low end bear bow. It came with a crappy sight and that was it. Not knowing what was good or bad i bought other cheap accessories. Over the last year I have been slowly upgrading accessories. Now I want a new bow that has a couple things that my current bow does not offer. I wish I could do it all over again and spend more money up front and start out with some decent equipment. The silver lining to starting with low end stuff is that allowed me to see what I like or don't like without spending a fortune. But now that I know what works for me and what I like I would like a newer/nicer bow. I am wanting a very gently used bow, buying a brand spanking new one is very expensive. Research, find out what you like, weight out what is important to YOU and spend that stimulus check lol

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Would be best to buy a bow that has adjustable draw length capability on the cam, rather than module draw length and draw specific cams.... that way if you need to adjust, you aren't searching for more pieces parts.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
buy as good a bow as your money can. in many cases that means going to the classifieds and buying a flagship that is a year or two old. believe me unless someone seriously abused the bow, it will give you years of better shooting than you can shoot. I've bought bows from here for roughly 25 years and never got a bad deal,....every one of them looked and worked like brand new. there are no "bad Bows" any more. they are all fast and all of them,...even entry level and intermediate bows will shoot better than anyone, except the absolutely, very best shooters in the world, can shoot, so don't feel like you have to go broke buying a bow. the majority of cost for a new flagship from any manufacturer is because of cam profile testing and the exclusivity of owning their latest and greatest bow. of course,....if two or three fps. is important to you,... then I guess you have to fork out that big money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts