Archery Talk Forum banner

Choosing the right string and cables

2189 41
Hey all. Looking at getting new string and cables put on my Bowtech Realm. The bow is about a year and half old at this point and I’m starting to get a lot of peep twist as well as fraying. I wax my string every other time I shoot (I typically shoot at least 20 arrows every time I shoot). So my question is, what material do y’all think would be best. Now let me say that I am an avid bow hunter in the state of Michigan so our weather is all over the place lol I also shoot A LOT in the off season (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-60 arrows a week on average). So I’m looking for something that has decent durability for walking or even stalking through hardwoods, marshy areas, pine groves, etc but something that will also last me a little while with how much I shoot. I know 8190 is pretty standard for hunting but would it be beneficial for me to maybe go with 452X? What are some other recommendations. Thanks in advance for any and all help
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
Elite Enkore
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve been really happy with the X99 sets I’ve had built lately. I would highly recommend Catfish Customs right there in your home state of MI.
I do like to support Michigan business when I can. Especially with our lovely governor making it hard for small businesses to stay afloat lately

Reactions: Robspartacus

· Banned
368 Posts
I'd checkout VEC99 by Bloodline Fibers. If you're shooting in cold and hot weather the vectran will keep things very stable. It's so nice because you do not have to wax their materials. I wont build with anything else.

· Registered
Elite Enkore
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd checkout VEC99 by Bloodline Fibers. If you're shooting in cold and hot weather the vectran will keep things very stable. It's so nice because you do not have to wax their materials. I wont build with anything else.
Out of curiosity what if you did wax it? Is it gonna hurt anything?

· Registered
541 Posts
I second Mike at Catfish Customs. He can definitely get you set up right with the best materials.

· Banned
368 Posts
No, it wont hurt anything, it simply will fly off while you're shooting because the coating on the string material is very slick which is why you dont have to wax it, its built into the material. Its a little tricky to build with at first but the nuances were easy to learn. I've built with 452X, BCY-X, BCY-X99, Trophy, Mercury, Rampage, Fury and 8190F. So far the Bloodline VEC-99 is my favorite. I haven't tried the Bloodline-99 yet because my strings and cables are still in excellent shape but I plan on trying it in the future. I do prefer vectran in my strings for stability purposes.

· Premium Member
Bowtech Solution for Hunting…….Bowtech Reckoning for foam
767 Posts
Twisted Perfection Custom strings
Josh Naylor
Absolutely best strings you can buy.....no question! and I’ve shot just about all the strings out there....great guy! Give him a call or text
(731) 610-0917

· Registered
15,911 Posts
Just ordered a set for my realm from Mike at Catfish Customs. Had them to my door in 7 days and they were on the money as usual. He does great work and also offers the Vec99 although I had these done in X99.
Same here.. I ordered a set from Mike a couple weeks ago and another last week. Even through the holiday shipping madness, I had then each within a week. They look incredible and were exactly to spec. First set was x99 and second I went with vec99

Sent from my SM-G532M using Tapatalk

· Registered
801 Posts
Same here.. I ordered a set from Mike a couple weeks ago and another last week. Even through the holiday shipping madness, I had then each within a week. They look incredible and were exactly to spec. First set was x99 and second I went with vec99

I haven't tried a set of vec99 strings yet. What do you think of them?

· Registered
15,911 Posts
I haven't tried a set of vec99 strings yet. What do you think of them?
That was the second set ,which I just got today. Haven't got the bow together yet.
I went with white strings and orange serving and they look amazing.
I've been using x99 for a couple years and had great luck with that, just thought I'd give the vec99 a try with all the great reviews.

· Registered
3,978 Posts
I hear tons about Catfish Custom strings but never tried them. Been a fan of Threadz Custom Bowstrings and have always been happy. Customer service is top notch and strings take a beating. I shoot almost, if not, every day, and long sessions. With the exception of one set of strings, which they replaced free of charge without me asking, they are rock solid. The main reason, besides making excellent strings, that I've not tried other brands is customer service. I called and was ordering strings for a Hoyt Prevail 37 SVX. I told Jerry that I was looking for a different material because my last set wore out really fast and were fuzzy really bad. She asked me when I bought them and looked up my previous order. With as many sets as I've bought over the years I figured one set wearing quick wasn't that big a deal. She asked me a few questions and I answered and they replaced strings free of charge. I wasn't asking for that and sure didn't expect it. So, I'm pretty loyal to Threadz. Take care of me (without asking) and I will gladly return the favor.

I suggest Threadz Custom Bowstrings personally, and I've used others over the years with good results, but Threadz is as close to dealing with friends or family as I've ever experienced from any company I've dealt with. If Threadz didn't exist, I would most likely deal with Catfish Customs as way too many on ArcheryTalk really speak highly of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
4,797 Posts
I hear tons about Catfish Custom strings but never tried them. Been a fan of Threadz Custom Bowstrings and have always been happy. Customer service is top notch and strings take a beating. I shoot almost, if not, every day, and long sessions. With the exception of one set of strings, which they replaced free of charge without me asking, they are rock solid. The main reason, besides making excellent strings, that I've not tried other brands is customer service. I called and was ordering strings for a Hoyt Prevail 37 SVX. I told Jerry that I was looking for a different material because my last set wore out really fast and were fuzzy really bad. She asked me when I bought them and looked up my previous order. With as many sets as I've bought over the years I figured one set wearing quick wasn't that big a deal. She asked me a few questions and I answered and they replaced strings free of charge. I wasn't asking for that and sure didn't expect it. So, I'm pretty loyal to Threadz. Take care of me (without asking) and I will gladly return the favor.

I suggest Threadz Custom Bowstrings personally, and I've used others over the years with good results, but Threadz is as close to dealing with friends or family as I've ever experienced from any company I've dealt with. If Threadz didn't exist, I would most likely deal with Catfish Customs as way too many on ArcheryTalk really speak highly of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
I have used Threadz a couple times and been happy with them both times. They do have the added advantage of getting them shipped the day after you order as well.

· Registered
30,528 Posts
I’ve been really happy with the X99 sets I’ve had built lately. I would highly recommend Catfish Customs right there in your home state of MI.
I have a brand new set of Catfish Custom strings in X99 that are waiting to go on my 19 Elite Ritual 35. At present I have a set of vec99 Bloodline strings that Mike made up to test the material and I am so-so about the qualities. My 17 OB Phoenix XL has X99 and they are great, so once I finish fine tuning the R35 with a bit more shimming, the new ones are going on. The colors of X99 are very vivid and clean, plus they plain shoot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.