Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone see the Red Arrow episode where Chris Brackett was hunting at the same location in Montana as the Red Arrow crew? I saw it this morning and it shows Chris Brackett making a 65 yard shot on a whitetail buck. The hit was high and about halfway back, with little penetration BUT the deer piled up after a short distance. To me it appeared that he was very lucky to get the deer.

Ala Archer

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
65 yards isn't exactly a chip shot but a lot of bowhunters out here are prepared for that type of shooting. I won't shoot that far but plan for 50+ each year.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What you didnt see was probably the 2nd arrow he got in the deer. Creative editing happens all the time and with many marginal hits their is alot more that goes on behind the scenes. I outfit for a very popular hunting show, and trust me their is alot more that happens then what you see on TV.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I saw the show also, didnt know there was a 2nd shot...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Can't stand his show "fear no evil."

Heard about how he was a good guy but for me, no thanks. Rather watch just about anything else on tv than him.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you didnt see was probably the 2nd arrow he got in the deer. Creative editing happens all the time and with many marginal hits their is alot more that goes on behind the scenes. I outfit for a very popular hunting show, and trust me their is alot more that happens then what you see on TV.
What I did see:
Chris Brackett make a piss poor shot on a whitetail buck.

The arrow hit just below the spine and penetrated very little.

The deer ran some 80 yards or so and piled up. (The shot obviously severed an artery).

I don't believe there was any fancy editing or a second arrow.

I do believe that he was "lucky" because I am quite certain he wasn't aiming that far back and that high. Lucky for him he got an artery and killed the buck. Reckon how many poor shots he has made in front of the camera and wounded game that wasn't recovered?

Ala Archer

·
Registered
606 Posts
Saw it. Shot looked really bad. Got the deer but shows why such shots should not be taken. He's a good shot but thats just too far. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
26,857 Posts
Booyah,Lol.Havent seen the shot but at least the Deer did not suffer after the Piss Poor Shot as you guys who have seen it call it,Brackett is a Pretty Pumped up guy,But he loves Archery,His Show Arrow Affliction is What started me as a Crazed Archer,Cheers,Chris!

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
Chris is an awesome guy, and a great shot. Obviously he felt comfortable takin the shot, and he got the deer. Blows my mind how jealous and pathetic so many of you are.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What is pathedic is a guy that probably met him at a hunting show, thinks hes a good guy. Not saying he isnt cause I dont know him. Also I learned a long time ago not to get into these shot distance battles, on the internet. Most people can put a good group together at 65 but on a whitetail is a different story. Moose elk and mulies, are also a different story, a kill zone the size of a 55 gallon drum on a slow to react animal, whitetails is just ******ed, why?

·
Registered
71 Posts
What broadhead was he using? You said little penetration? Must have cut a big hole?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Guys take it from people who live around Brackett and see him shooting at a local bow shop alot. He is soooooooooooo full of himself. Nothing amazes me anymore on what I hear this guy do. Not to many people around here are fans of him.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Blows my mind how jealous and pathetic so many of you are.
I love replies like this, I personally feel Chris is a good shot, I don't personally care for his attitude, demenor, nor his show. What I can't stand is the second someone voices an opinion they automatically become a jealous individual. That statement alone shows how quick a person can jump to conclusion. That's my opinion does that make me jealous???

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
"Blows my mind how jealous and pathetic so many of you are."-- no jealousy here, just not into his show.
X2!!!!!! I would love to see all the haters take a 65 yard shot and see how well they do in a time of pressure. I am not a big fan of Chris but i think picking apart everybody for all their mistakes is a fruitless effort. WE all make mistakes and no one is perfect all the time.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I got to meet him in person in a non-hunting industry setting, I was a little taken back with how full of himself he was. No mater what you talked about he could one up you. It always interesting to talk to a guy that is better than you at EVERYTHING! Having a show or not, he should have at least treated a fellow hunter with some respect instead of trying to make you feel like a peon.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Can you imagine how many shots aren't showed that he casts out there, lots and lots I'll bet ya!
I always will remember him as the guy that was to busy to talk with the kids because he was standing outside havin a smoke...

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
It's irresponsible to shoot at any game animal at that distance. There are too many things which can go wrong at distances past 40 yards. It is fun to shoot at a target at long distances, but I wouldn't risk it with an animal.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't see the broadhead that he used.

I am not "picking apart" Brackett. I just think that the shot he took was beyond what he was capable of. Now let me clarify, IF he had been shooting 3D he would have been WAAAAY outside of the kill zone. Lucky for him it was a killing shot (and so would a shot in the deer's head or its ass), BUT certainly not the shot he intended. I'm not trying to hurt the Brackett fans' feelings here. Hope that shot doesn't encourage any Brackett wannabes to shoot beyond what they are capable of.

I'm not an Olympic archer by any means but I am better than average (as are most of us here on A.T.) and I have a couple of boxes full of 3D trophies to prove it. Can I hit a Whitetail sized kill zone at 65 yards with consistency? YES! Do I shoot at whitetails at 65 yards? NO!

Chris Brackett was LUCKY. He didn't kill that deer because of any certain skill he possesses. It was LUCK and DUMB LUCK at that.

Overall I thought it was very distasteful to air such a shot on television.
Ala Archer

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I dont care what anyone says or how good of shot you are, 65 yards is to far to shot at a whitetail with a bow. Too many things that can happen. Not saying cant be done but just unethical. Target cant smell, see, move, act jumpy or duck. just cause you do it on the range doesnt me it what to do in wild.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts