Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has finally agreed (reluctantly) to get me a new game cam for Christmas. Which one should I ask her to get me? I need bang for minimal bucks. Leaf River? Moultrie? Cuddeback? Help me out.

· Registered
1,080 Posts
The Moultrie I40 is the only one of those i have experience with, but i plan on getting another one if that tells you anything.

· Registered
183 Posts
Scoutguard

I would say go with a Scoutguard SG550 or a Moultrie I40. I own both of them and both have very good bang for the buck. Scoutguard is just so small it makes you wonder why the I40 had to be so big lol. Scoutguard does everything that I40 does and fits it in a device the size of a beer can. Both of these cams run $200, and definitely worth that much money. Scoutguard will edge out the I40 on trigger speed, SG has 1.2 second trigger and i believe the 2008 Moultrie I40 is upwards of 2.5-3 seconds. I would highly suggest one of these two cameras. I honestly feel you will find no better for $200 or less. Seriously, i was skeptical about the SG500 til i bought one myself. So much fun to play with and incredibly small. Im not knocking on Cuddeback but they are overpriced. On Chasingame.com they reviewed the Cuddebacks that were $200 or less and they couldnt hold a match to the I40 or SG550. Make sure to hit up www.chasingame.com . After reading the reviews on the SG you may come away impressed but i woud say you would be satisfied with either one. Good luck with your decision.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I have (3) I-40's. But I think my next will be a Scoutguard because of the faster trigger speed.

If you are planning on putting on bait or the like, then the I-40 will be hard to beat. If you are looking for a "true" trail camera where a fast trigger speed is a must, I believe the Scoutguard is what you are looking for.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep them all in mind when making a decision. I'm thinking ScoutGuard right now. Can someone send some example pics?

· Pay It Forward
27,182 Posts
IR P32 Homebrew

YOU can't beat it, size, trigger speed, pic quality, try to find a commercial unit that looks and performs like this........

Original Pic

Zoomed and cropped

Few others

hit me with a PM if you're interested and SAVE some $$$$ over the many commercials

· Registered
4,458 Posts
From my experience the I-40's sould be a good choice. I have always really liked Cuddeback and am really liking the new Captures. So Cuddeback or Moultrie you can't go wrong with IMO.

· Registered
3,388 Posts
I use an I-40 but I am going to start building homebrews after everything I've seen on here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.