Archery Talk Forum banner

Chronic left right impacts.

651 11
Does anybody ever get past having their group centers move left and right from day to day. I don't think I ever will, I have worked on my grip till the cows came home and I still have this problem. May have a nice group but left today, right tomorrow, centered up the next, it's a mystery to me!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
561 Posts
I think you tilt you bow.

Have a look at you rest height as well. Maybe nock point.

· Registered
1,352 Posts
I agree you may be canting your bow . Does your sight have a level ? Take the extra time to practice just useing the level , stand close to the target so you dont have to worry aiming and just get the feel for the bow level evey time . You will soon be able to feel the bow tilt or lean when you are not watching it. Also maybe check your draw length it may be that its a tad long yet.

· My Elk Hunting Home
32,447 Posts
Make sure you are anchoring in the exact same spot every time, check to make sure your peep isn't twisting (even a minor change will throw you off left/right), and make sure you're centering your sight ring in your peep the same way every time. Any one of these will change your impact point.

· Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
5,001 Posts
Work work work on it.As said above USE your level.Once at full draw look at your level and not your sight pin til your sure you're steady and the level is right.Practice your anchor (you can tell by how much pressure your face(nose cheeketc) is putting on the string without moving your head. I like to hang a cord that I can see at 30 yards down in front of my target and shoot at it.Pretty soon you'll start seeing a pattern and can figure out why.You'll know before the arrow hits where it's going and why.

· Registered
13,757 Posts
you dont say how far they are moving, if you are useing a three strand peep it may be nothing more than your eye looking to one side or the other of the strand if it is centered or just barely off centered,,, i've seen this happen a few times.. at twenty yards my groups were great but about 2-3 " apart rarely did I get center hits... if your using a three strand get a different peep... most people dont shoot well enough to ever notice the grouping difference when this is the cause

· Registered
2,847 Posts
The only thing I can add to what has already been said is that varying light conditions can cause your eye to see the sight pin a little differently. Same thing applies to shooting firearms with open sights. Your eye focuses on what it thinks is the middle of the pin. I have noticed that in the late afternoon, I start shooting a little left (sun sets to the left of the direction of shooting) - and once the sun get too low to hit the sight, I come back to center. We are only talking maybe an inch at 20 yards here.

Main culprits would be canting or hand torque, though.

· Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to look at the canting thing a little harder. I use a 1/4 fletcher centered around the guard. As far as how much left or right, I'm talking at 40 yards the groups maybe centered two inches left or right any given day. Drives me crazy!:uzi:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.