Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked some questions in another thread regarding chronos. Specifically if they are worth getting and using as a tool for tuning etc or are they just good for bragging rights for whos bow is the fastest and got no response so i figured i would start my own thread. For those that have one, do you find a use for it as a tuning aid etc or has it been just a waste of money. I am looking at the fx pocket chronograph.
Any feedback on these chronos or the use of them in tuning is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I'm in the market for a chronograph myself... I shoot in a few tourneys each year that have speed limits. It's much less stressful to do that tuning before you get there!!!!

I don't know anything about that specific chronograph.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I think it is worth it, but I do a lot of rifle shooting as well so it is almost an "must have" when developing a load.
I have a Pro Chrono and I found that you do not need the light kit for them. I shoot my bow in my basement and remove the sky screens and set the chrono under a overhead florescent light fixture. It reads perfect.
If you are in the market, this little trick will save you several dollars on the light kit.
I like shooting across a chrono as it gives me a baseline to know what is going on with what I am doing to the bow. Example, I shot a bow that I just bought off of AT across the chrono and got my speed. I next installed a peep, and a small kisser button on the string and re-shot it. I dropped 7 FPS just by adding those two things. It also let me see what my speed was doing when I was playing with tip weight on the arrows.
Is it a "must have" for archery, no, but it is a "very good to have" in my book

·
NOOBY
923 Posts
I absolutely think they are worth it. We use them primarily for reloading but I would probably anyways if I didn't. They are pretty nice.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think it depends on the type of arrow shooting you do and how thick your wallet is.

Myself, I am a hunter and backyard shooter. A chrono serves little-to-no purpose for bow tuning. I've tested this with my Labradar, and, as I paper tune, I see pretty much no change in arrow speed once I am close to a decent paper tear. In other words, the paper tear is more sensitive to proper tune than arrow speed. And, I've never lost an animal because I didn't know my arrow speed. However, I like accurately knowing my arrow speed as I change broadhead weights, etc., for hunting purposes. And, it gives me some confidence in my equipment know that I am getting good arrow speed as I head into the woods. But, again, it is not essential.

That being said, decent chronos are pretty cheap nowadays, so if one is interested in arrow speed, there is no reason to not get one.

A chrono could be helpful if shooting where arrow speed is limited, like certain competitions, though.

I started with a Shoot'n Chrony many years ago for rifle load development. It worked fine, but a was a chore to set up at a public rifle range. Consequently, I eventually upgraded to a Labradar. I also use it for arrow shooting. I would not have bought the expensive Labradar just for arrow shooting. I don't chrono my arrows often, but I certainly do test different arrow/broadhead combinations before a hunt just to make sure I am not leaving any speed on the table.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
no,....they are a nice item to have, but not a necessity for archery. it's no big deal to turn your bow down at a shoot if you're a little over IBO. and for that matter it's no big deal if you are shooting less speed than your bow can produce. I've never shot a maxed out bow. being comfortable with the bow is far more important than getting max speed out of it. if your are going for a comfortable bow, at a draw weight you can handle, speed doesn't matter.

·
Registered
20,666 Posts
Mine can swing 10-12fps between shots with the same arrow. Basically useless to me like that. I haven't tried it outside but with the LED light kit and LED lights in the basement, it's all over the place. I've stopped using it all together.

·
Shootin and Cussin
24,127 Posts
A chorno is not used for tuning. Only for making sight tapes and bragging rights. To be honest I use mine maybe once a year when I get a new bow of make BIG changes to a bow I own. Right now it is sitting in its box just taking up space.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have one for many years now. I have no problems with the Caldwell from midway.

I chrono’ed everything . Any changes i chrono’ed. Different strings on recurves.
String leech vs cat whisker. Vane vs feather. 3.5” vs 4” vane. Any change at all i checked and kept a log. I re-strung a PSE Shark with 60X strings made of BCY X and what a difference from whatever pse had on it. Another 60x recurve string made of Brownell Fury, amazing speed pick up from the old D 97 flemish string. Get one. You’ll be happy.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I have one, I have accurate results with mine, I set my stab on the underside of the chrono so I get same distance each time.
BUT I gave it to a friend and him and his girlfriend have used it more than I have 200 times over. I never use for tapes, never use for checking speed unless I change arrows I will get a basic speed. I wanna be close to 280-284 mainly for asa rules. I actually haven’t had mine in 3 months.
Now my friend she was shooting over it every shot to see how accurate she was, if she crept forward her speed would drop. But if she held firm and broke a good shot it was within a few FPS of each other.
I paid 50$ for it so I don’t have any qualms about buying it but wouldn’t pay 120 for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I have no use for one. Don’t care how fast my bow is and don’t use sight tapes. But I can see where they would be useful for some people.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't know anyone that ever bragged about how fast they missed a deer. A chrono will either make you real happy or real sad depending on what you are seeing. Having said all that, I do feel it can be very useful in knowing what adding (or dropping) a few extra pounds to your draw weight will do vs dropping (or adding) some arrow weight.
This is especially true if you are close to "over bowing yourself" and trying to pull all the weight you can and then some (nobody has ever done that). You might find that that extra few pounds did not buy you much as far as speed goes and you are better off backing it down to something you can handle.

·
Archery Addict
9,251 Posts
I only used mine a couple of times per year unless I was setting up some new reloads for my guns. It sits in my brother's shop now collecting dust. The older I get, the more simplified I like things. I use the chronograph at my local shop if I need to make a new sight tape, or I just put on a blank tape and mark my own while shooting in my back yard. Either way, I no longer can find an excuse for having something in my shop that doesn't get used.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have ordered one seeing as some of you pointed out that it can be useful to make sure you are under speed regulations for comps etc and also to see what differences adding or changing things makes. As i have several compounds and recurves i will have plenty of stuff to play around with. It will be interesting to see how this fx pocket radar chronograph works.

·
Huntoholic
1,723 Posts
Test don't guess, I have a Chrony and I use it for everything, bow, pistols, rifles, paintball, virtually anything I shoot. It will help you learn or expand, because you can actually see what one turn on the limb screws will do. Chronographs are certainly not a requirement to tune a bow, but I like knowing what my changes are actually doing.

·
Team #9
8,768 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I have ordered one seeing as some of you pointed out that it can be useful to make sure you are under speed regulations for comps etc and also to see what differences adding or changing things makes. As i have several compounds and recurves i will have plenty of stuff to play around with. It will be interesting to see how this fx pocket radar chronograph works.
very cool.. if you get a chance to check your radar Chronograph with a Pro Chrono I am curious if they read the same speed
if you do post what you find please ....thanks for your time

·
Back Yard Champion
29,780 Posts
For tuning, not really. And don't believe some that attach to the bow or fit in your "pocket." Some light sensitive, give false readings or readings that show big differences.

I have a Shooting Chrony getting close to being old enough to vote. I use it for bows and firearms. I've checked it or rather other clubs have had me check theirs to mine and all so far fall within +/- 2 fps. Like mine will give 293 fps and their show 291 to 295.
Mine also has features for plugging in a printer, storing for later viewing and resetting from a distance.

Shooting ASA where I'm regulated to 288 fps max I make sure I don't get disqualified. Tops for me 284 fps and if over I do some tinkering to get down to 284 or less.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very cool.. if you get a chance to check your radar Chronograph with a Pro Chrono I am curious if they read the same speed
if you do post what you find please ....thanks for your time
My local club has a chrono (not sure what one) that i can compare with but they dont get it out very often and they are still closed up due to covid 19. When everything opens up again, i will certainly ask them if i can do the comparison.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
For tuning, not really. And don't believe some that attach to the bow or fit in your "pocket." Some light sensitive, give false readings or readings that show big differences.

I have a Shooting Chrony getting close to being old enough to vote. I use it for bows and firearms. I've checked it or rather other clubs have had me check theirs to mine and all so far fall within +/- 2 fps. Like mine will give 293 fps and their show 291 to 295.
Mine also has features for plugging in a printer, storing for later viewing and resetting from a distance.

Shooting ASA where I'm regulated to 288 fps max I make sure I don't get disqualified. Tops for me 284 fps and if over I do some tinkering to get down to 284 or less.
that's about the only place I see a use for one in archery. if you shoot IBO regularly, it's a handy thing to have. that said, I've only been to two "official" IBO shoots and both of them had a chrony all set up to check your speed.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts